Where to stay in Vancouver???

Sheaboys

We are arriving a day early, May 29th for our cruise. Where would be a good place to stay in Vancouver.

I don't know the area, but it seems we should go to the Seawall/Stanley park. Are there any other "must sees" in Vancouver. And what hotels would be a good location for walking to these places.

How about transport from airport to hotel and hotel to port?

Thanks so much!

We are arriving a day early, May 29th for our cruise. Where would be a good place to stay in Vancouver.

I don't know the area, but it seems we should go to the Seawall/Stanley park. Are there any other "must sees" in Vancouver. And what hotels would be a good location for walking to these places.

How about transport from airport to hotel and hotel to port?

Thanks so much!

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency - very nice. It's right by a train station so you could take a train from the airport to it (I think a taxi is about $40), and it's ideal for walking down to Canada Place and then along Coal Harbour to Stanley Park. This shows our walk around Vancouver

[YOUTUBE]a-u1IcJ6VtM[/YOUTUBE]

From that hotel to the port would be a very short taxi ride. All the best, Tony

I am not sure your budget, but consider the Pan Pacific Hotel which is located right at the Cruise Ship terminal. On the day you embark, you can just walk from the hotel to the terminal.

From this location if you like to walk it is about a 45 minute walk over to Stanley Park and very scenic. You are also about 15 minutes from Gas Town.

Keith

We were in Vancouver for a couple of nights at exactly the same time (May 29 & 30) this past summer. I did a lot of searching trying to find a hotel that was affordable, but yet convenient to some of the locations we wished to visit and ended up booking the Best Western Plus Downtown Vancouver for $130/night.

The hotel has complimentary bicycles which we used one morning to ride to and through Stanley Park. My husband still says that was one of his favorite activities from the whole cruise.

Another perk offered by the hotel is a free one-way pass on the ferry to Granville Island. The hotel is just a short walk from False Creek where you can catch a ferry. (There are two different companies and they both have stops nearby.) We spent the afternoon walking around the island and through the public marketplace and then sat outside watching the various street performers.

The hotel also has a free shuttle going that you can take anywhere in the downtown area, including Canada Place where we boarded our ship...very convenient.

When I figured in the value of the bikes, shuttle, ferry, etc. I thought the hotel was a great place to spend a night or two. There were also many places to eat within walking distance, including a White Spot restaurant located in the hotel.

I have a lot of photos and information from our stay in Vancouver in the review I did. Here is the link:

Alaska Cruise Review

The Vancouver info starts with post #24.

We were in Vancouver for a couple of nights at exactly the same time (May 29 & 30) this past summer. I did a lot of searching trying to find a hotel that was affordable, but yet convenient to some of the locations we wished to visit and ended up booking the Best Western Plus Downtown Vancouver for $130/night.

The hotel has complimentary bicycles which we used one morning to ride to and through Stanley Park. My husband still says that was one of his favorite activities from the whole cruise.

Another perk offered by the hotel is a free one-way pass on the ferry to Granville Island. The hotel is just a short walk from False Creek where you can catch a ferry. (There are two different companies and they both have stops nearby.) We spent the afternoon walking around the island and through the public marketplace and then sat outside watching the various street performers.

The hotel also has a free shuttle going that you can take anywhere in the downtown area, including Canada Place where we boarded our ship...very convenient.

When I figured in the value of the bikes, shuttle, ferry, etc. I thought the hotel was a great place to spend a night or two. There were also many places to eat within walking distance, including a White Spot restaurant located in the hotel.

I have a lot of photos and information from our stay in Vancouver in the review I did. Here is the link:

Alaska Cruise Review

The Vancouver info starts with post #24.

Perfect! I read your review, loved it. I did not remember which hotel it was you listed in your review. This maybe it for us. Thanks so much!

We are going to be in Vancouver next summer after a cruise tour. We are doing 2 post days. After a lot of research on this website and reading trip advisor reviews I have booked the Blue Horizon through Priceline. I watched the prices on the websites and the hotel website, I finally made the decision to book rooms for the 8 people in our group. It seems to be in a very good location and has city transportation right near the hotel. We also are going to book Landsea tours for the 4 hour city tour. Hope this helps. have a great trip!

Capilano Suspension bridge- Free shuttle from Canada Place. awesome sites.

We stayed at Pan Pacific- they have a cruise package includes : Corner Room overlooking Water to watch ship pull in, Awesome buffet breakfast, and luggage transfer to ship, with late checkout, so you can go to the Bridge on the morning shuttle and then checkout around lunch to get on the ship. Have a great time.

While I also really like the Sutton Place, after spending several pre-cruise days in 2013 at the Pan Pacific I would definitely book the Pan Pacific again for any cruise departing from Canada Place. The convenience of calling the bell captain and having our luggage picked up at 10 am or so was just wonderful. We left our carry-on luggage in the room until about 11:30, picked it up and then checked out. Just took the elevator down to the cruise terminal.

• 2 months later...
I am not sure your budget, but consider the Pan Pacific Hotel which is located right at the Cruise Ship terminal. On the day you embark, you can just walk from the hotel to the terminal.

From this location if you like to walk it is about a 45 minute walk over to Stanley Park and very scenic. You are also about 15 minutes from Gas Town.

Keith

To be more precise, it is an elevator ride down to the terminal and walk no more than 110 feet (IMHO) to the terminal door. You can arrange to leave your luggage in your hotel room and you will see it next in your stateroom.

The quote function is not working for me.

Crew News said:

To be more precise, it is an elevator ride down to the terminal and walk no more than 110 feet (IMHO) to the terminal door. You can arrange to leave your luggage in your hotel room and you will see it next in your stateroom.

When we were at the Pan Pacific in 2014 we did NOT book through the cruise line. We were told several times, very explicitly, that we needed to be in our room for the bell man to collect our luggage before we went to the terminal.

We stayed at the Metropolitan hotel for 3 nights prior to heading to Seattle for our cruise. The hotel is in the downtown area, and as DH and I are quite fit and used to walking, we did a lot of touring during our days there. Walked to Stanley Park, rode bikes through Stanley Park, did Capilano Suspension bridge (took a trolly), walked from there up to Grousse Mountian (on the advice from the girls at Capilano - who said it was a 20 minute walk - - uphill (thought no problem) ending up being twice that, but we made it). Walked to Gas town, took the ferry over to Grainville Island). Would love to go back to Vancouver in a heart beat. ENJOY!! We took the light rail train from the airport to downtown. Very easy. I think it was $9.00 per person.

Check out Landsea tours. We have booked the 4 hour Vancouver city tour for when we disembark our cruise ship. They pick us right up at the cruise port and they also take care of our luggage. At the end of the tour they will drop us at the Blue Horizon hotel where we have reservations for 2 nights. They have great reviews. After your tour you can return areas of your choice with the time you have left in the day.

The quote function is not working for me.

Crew News said:

When we were at the Pan Pacific in 2014 we did NOT book through the cruise line. We were told several times, very explicitly, that we needed to be in our room for the bell man to collect our luggage before we went to the terminal.

Same for us. We have independently stayed at the Pan Pacific pre-cruise 3 times and we have always had to be in our room when the luggage was collected by bellman for transfer to the ship. The bellman counted our luggage and then gave us claim tickets in case their was a problem.

Edited by Italy52

• 6 months later...
We are going to be in Vancouver next summer after a cruise tour. We are doing 2 post days. After a lot of research on this website and reading trip advisor reviews I have booked the Blue Horizon through Priceline. I watched the prices on the websites and the hotel website, I finally made the decision to book rooms for the 8 people in our group. It seems to be in a very good location and has city transportation right near the hotel. We also are going to book Landsea tours for the 4 hour city tour. Hope this helps. have a great trip!

How did you like the Blue Horizon? We have chosen this hotel as our pre-cruise for 1 night. Please let me know.

Thanks!

I second the vote for the Blue Horizon Hotel...it isn't as fancy as some of the higher priced hotels, but it has great views...each room is a corner of the hotel so it has two sided views. The HOHO bus stops right outside the door, and it is an easy walk to most of Vancouver attractions....it is very centrally located. They have a very nice outdoors cafe which is great for people watching. I really liked this hotel and have stayed here twice....and will do so again....

We stayed at Fairmont - Waterfront, directly across the street from Canada Place. Hotel was very nice, a little less expensive than Pan Pacific, but every bit as convenient. The area around it is touristy and easy to walk.

We found a pretty healthy discount for the hotel through Verizon.

Since there were four of us, we stayed at the Landis Suites Hotel in downtown. For $380 ($190/couple) we got two huge bedrooms, a nice living/dining area and an equipped kitchen. The hotel provided a breakfast and had a free shuttle to the port, airport plus took guests to requested destinations around the city. We used it frequently while there. (Parking however, is extra).

Since there were four of us, we stayed at the Landis Suites Hotel in downtown. For $380 ($190/couple) we got two huge bedrooms, a nice living/dining area and an equipped kitchen. The hotel provided a breakfast and had a free shuttle to the port, airport plus took guests to requested destinations around the city. We used it frequently while there. (Parking however, is extra).

Could you confirm when you stayed and that the hotel actually shuttled you to/from YVR? If they did, was it a special rate you booked?

Many folks do ask about hotels with shuttles to airport and cruiseport and local wisdom is that there are none with both (some will refund a cab fare from airport to downtown with a cruise package deal) - Landis' website very clearly lists destinations and hours for the shuttle and mentions nothing about the airport so if they do have such a service it would be a very useful tidbit of info for future visitors...

The four of us spent 2 nights at Landis. While my husband and I did not use shuttle service to the airport, our cousin (who had to return his rental car to the airport) after our first night at the hotel, did get a shuttle ride back to the hotel. Maybe it was because we were already guests and not a service typically provided.