Civitavecchia Train Station A Lot Farther Now

scubamargie

Did you have to change trains on the way a Rome Hotel? Was the train direct or was it local? Wondering about handling luggage if there are stairs involved going from platform to another.

If you are talking about taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome, then yes there is the possibility of having to go down one flight of stairs and up another at the station (the dreaded 'sottopassaggio' or underpass) to get to the correct tracks.

There are no stairs to be negotiated at Termini; however, the track for the regionale trains from Civitavecchia is a LONG distance from the head of the station. If your hotel is closer to another train station, much better to get off there. Although, unless you can walk you have to consider the chance that there will not be any taxis waiting....

Joyce, got off the Epic at 6.00am, walked right through the port to the fort, and then straight to the railway station. I walked into the station at 6.40am and the 7.02am train was already there. An easy walk, even though it was still dark for about 20 minutes.The Epic had docked at 12 Bis (N).

Just what I needed know! Thanks!! ~Joyce

• 1 month later...
I just checked the fare for the IC train (Civitavecchia to Naples) for a random date about six weeks from now. Super Economy 2nd class tickets are already sold out, but Super Economy 1st class is still available for €24,90. Base fare, which is what you pay as a walk up on the day of travel, is €33 in 2nd class and €43,50 in 1st class.

I'm online checking routes and prices for trains from Civitavecchia to Naples again today. What website do you recommend for booking train tickets? ~Joyce

• 1 month later...
There's only one train option that does not require changing trains at Termini, that's the 9:24 AM IC train. It stops at Termini but you don't get off so the benefit of this one is convenience. It's also less expensive but it takes three hours. Most of the connections take almost as long (the 7:44 from Civitavecchia takes you 2:48 to get to Naples, the 7:58 takes 3:05, the 8:42 takes 2:38) so it might be worthwhile to hang out on the ship and enjoy breakfast for the easier trip. For what it's worth, IC trains are the only ones that I pay for first class because there really is a difference in the seating. First class on these trains about the same price or a little less than second class on the Frecce trains.

The real benefit, however, is avoiding the three block walk at Termini between the regional track head and the main tracks, where you get the train to Naples.

The biggest downside to this plan is the later arrival in Naples (the IC arrives at 12:29, the 7:44 train with the connection arrives at 10:32. So there's your tradeoff, convenience vs. time.

I'm back on Trenitalia today and it looks like the dates we are heading from Civitavecchia to Naples are being offered. It looks like the 9:58 am arrives in Naples at 2:40pm for travel time of 4hrs and 42 mins. Is that the correct one to book so we don't have to switch trains in Rome? It seems like a lot longer trip then stated when we last talked. Just want to make sure I book the correct one! Sept 21st the ship docks at 6am. Thanks in advance! ~Joyce

It's still too soon to book the IC train that doesn't require a change. They are booking that one through August right now, so wait another few week and it should be ready for purchase.

The train you want is #IC501. It departs Civitavecchia at 9:48 and arrives at Napoli Centrale at 12:20, a little more than three hours later. It makes stops Roma Ostiense, Latina, Formia-Gaeta and Aversa before Naples. The super economy fare, the one you'll get if you purchase soon after it becomes available, is just €12,90 in second class or €24,90 in first class.

It's still too soon to book the IC train that doesn't require a change. They are booking that one through August right now, so wait another few week and it should be ready for purchase.

The train you want is #IC501. It departs Civitavecchia at 9:48 and arrives at Napoli Centrale at 12:20, a little more than three hours later. It makes stops Roma Ostiense, Latina, Formia-Gaeta and Aversa before Naples. The super economy fare, the one you'll get if you purchase soon after it becomes available, is just €12,90 in second class or €24,90 in first class.

I SO appreciate the information!! ~Joyce

Thanks a lot for sharing for your info.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be making this same journey on 7/29, I'll let you know how it works out. I'm on the 924 IC 501 getting to Naples at 501. Thinking about hanging out in Naples till the next express train to Sorrento, instead of the local. Guess I'll figure out the day of how I'm feeling if I walk all the way from Ship or part way or none. I hope to get off about 700 AM, so not worried about not getting to train station in a timely manner.

• 2 months later...
I'll be making this same journey on 7/29, I'll let you know how it works out. I'm on the 924 IC 501 getting to Naples at 501. Thinking about hanging out in Naples till the next express train to Sorrento, instead of the local. Guess I'll figure out the day of how I'm feeling if I walk all the way from Ship or part way or none. I hope to get off about 700 AM, so not worried about not getting to train station in a timely manner.

So...just wondering how that train travel went?

Thanks for the reminder, We walked off the ship about 8am, took the port bus to exit. We were going to walk but bus to train station was there and it was two euros each so we took the bus. Got to train station by 830, train was a few minutes late but that was ok. Beware the water closet at train station was closed, so had to wait for train.

We had first class seats and compartment was full so no place for luggage but we survived. Got to Naples on time, the next express train was over a three hour wait, so we took the local, and it was miserable. 1 1/4 hours very hot and crowded. Once we got to sorrento we took 22 euro cab about a mile to hotel. Very expense but we were wore out. On the way home we walked to train station, it was early and downhill. If I would do it again I would explore shuttles from train station in Naples to sorrento hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

Just returned from our trip. We did discover when it rains in Rome it can shut down the train travel to the port. All trains were cancelled because of flooding on the tracks and the demand for taxis was extreme! The line at Termini for Taxi's was very long. Thankfully we found someone to take four of us to Civitavecchia but it cost us $200 Euros. We were also told that if the rain continued it would most likely close the freeway to the port as well - something we did not know! Make sure you always have a second plan should the first one fail!

Just returned from our trip. We did discover when it rains in Rome it can shut down the train travel to the port. All trains were cancelled because of flooding on the tracks and the demand for taxis was extreme!

I agree it's always good to have a Plan B -- I always have the number of a car service in my purse or pocket in Rome, if traveling by train to/from port. Just as a back-up.

However, I also wanted to reassure folks a bit that normal rain shouldn't affect the train tracks or schedule. Sometimes Rome gets downpours, which it doesn't handle well. But in general you are going to be fine if there's just a light drizzle or normal rain.

I've been in Rome in early December when the Tiber overflowed in some areas, the metro was shut down in part, and some of the roads to/from the airport were periodically closed due to flooding. There was a LOT of rain that week. (I visited many museums not on my original plan, lol...)

• 3 weeks later...

We recently walked from our berth in Civitavecchia to the train station in about half an hour at a brisk pace. We followed the pedestrian markings in the port, exiting by the old gate near the fort. This is only possible from berths 10 to 13 I believe and we couldn't find out which berth we were going to use until we were alongside. We were one of the furthest ships from the fort so you might be closer and have a shorter walk.

A group of 10 of us just finished our Spirit cruise last week at Civitavecchia. Here’s some information in not any particular order. 5 ships in port

Transportation to Lago Della Pace:

Taxi $8.75eu the night before

Taxi $20eu for 2 negotiated (suckered)

Local bus $2eu day of (no wait)

25 minute pleasant walk

Transportation to train:

Taxi, no one wanted the short trip

Local bus, long lines (3 bus wait)

6 of us walked

What members of our group did:

reserved RomeCabs shared shuttle for 2 dockside for 2pm flight with 9am pickup $70eu

Europcar rental $45eu a day fully insured manual car with no FCO drop fee (70 yards from LDP)

Freciabiancca train to Termini at 11am 2nd class reserved $10eu per person (booked 1 month early)

Edited by lamchops

• 2 weeks later...
We recently walked from our berth in Civitavecchia to the train station in about half an hour at a brisk pace. We followed the pedestrian markings in the port, exiting by the old gate near the fort. This is only possible from berths 10 to 13 I believe and we couldn't find out which berth we were going to use until we were alongside. We were one of the furthest ships from the fort so you might be closer and have a shorter walk.

So in reverse, walking from the direction of the train station, it is feasible to enter the Old Gate near the fort and then continue walking to Pier 12?

So in reverse, walking from the direction of the train station, it is feasible to enter the Old Gate near the fort and then continue walking to Pier 12?

NCL had a shuttle that ran frequently near the old gate to the ship. I assume other cruise companies may do the same? We took the shuttle into the pier - it would have been a long walk to the ship. The walk from the train station to the Old Gate is relatively easy. We only had carry on size luggage and backpacks. ~Joyce

Yes it is possible. We did this last year from the station to the ship. I'm a little confused over cyberjoys comment about a shuttle running from the old gate and this was not our experience (or the experience of others who have posted on here). In fact we took the risk of taking the shuttle from the ship in the hope that it would drop us by the old gate but there is no stop there for ship shuttles and we continued all the way to the port bus stop - in the opposite direction to the station and another half a mile further for us to walk all the way back. Hence why we decided to walk back to the ship from the station.

Shuttles to and from cruise ships are not supposed to stop at the fort and from all reports that is the usual case. Of course, as with most things in life, there may be exceptions that get reported here but you cannot assume you'd be lucky enough to be there when someone makes an exception.

There are shuttles that use the stop by the fort but these serve the ferry lines, not the cruise ships.

If you are reasonably mobile and your ship is berthed at #10, #11, or #12 you can walk to and from the train station faster than you can take the shuttle to the other exit and walk or bus from there. If you're way out at #13 it's a push ... as I prefer to take things in my own hands whenever possible I'd hike even from there (approximately two miles).

You can see the berths on this map of the port, but note that the map is oddly oriented. The top of this map is actually west, north is to the right.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/mappa-del-porto

Edited by euro cruiser