Escape room now $20 on Harmony

Not sure how long you have been cruising, but even with the added costs, cruising today is much cheaper than years ago

So true, I still have our 1979 Sitmar invoice for our Honeymoon (inside cabin) on the TSS Fair Sea. It was $895 PP for seven night Mexican Riviera. The bathroom on our Oasis OS last month was bigger than the entire cabin and on Fair Sea we had twin beds!!!! Plus, second day out DW got second degree sun burn and wouldn't let me touch her. How's that for a Honeymoon????

Pay $0 (no incentive to show up) place is empty, i.e.: wasted space and staff, pay $9.95 (some will show up most won't) still not cost effective. I am guessing they are trying to find the "break even" point where people will pay and show up.

We haven't tried an Escape Room yet, but they are opening one next month near us and are looking forward to giving it a try.

Most didn't show up on the anthem. Those that did were worthless:eek:

JC

Let's be clear. The Escape room is a novelty item on a ship. We've done it twice (once completed successfully).

There's no way we'd ever consider it if there was ANY fee, let alone a $20 cost for it. It's a cool thing to enjoy if available on a ship, but by no means worthy of an added fee. If they are doing a fee to "entice" no-shows to show up...it will end up going the way of the dinosaurs (few will sign up in the first place).

We did it once and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a great group who all worked well together and managed to solve it within time. I would love to do it again - but there is no way I would pay for it when it's an activity which they used to do for free. There must be some way of managing no-shows eg by charging if they don't show, rather than charging everyone up front. A stand-by line would make sure that the spaces were filled.

However, I don't think the charging is about trying to prevent no-shows, but just another opportunity to squeeze every little penny out of guests :rolleyes:

We did it once and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a great group who all worked well together and managed to solve it within time. I would love to do it again - but there is no way I would pay for it when it's an activity which they used to do for free. There must be some way of managing no-shows eg by charging if they don't show, rather than charging everyone up front. A stand-by line would make sure that the spaces were filled.

However, I don't think the charging is about trying to prevent no-shows, but just another opportunity to squeeze every little penny out of guests :rolleyes:

While it had to do with revenue, is your problem that it used to be free? If it were never free would people be complaining? We have done many of these rooms at land based places in several cities and love them. $20 is still a good price, as we usually pay more than that with Groupon it other discounts.

I would have no problems paying$20 if it was as good as others we have tried, but have never been on a ship where it was offered, free or otherwise.

While it had to do with revenue, is your problem that it used to be free? If it were never free would people be complaining? We have done many of these rooms at land based places in several cities and love them. $20 is still a good price, as we usually pay more than that with Groupon it other discounts.

I would have no problems paying$20 if it was as good as others we have tried, but have never been on a ship where it was offered, free or otherwise.

If I'm honest I think it probably does have to do with the fact it was free when we did it before :o and I agree people (Including me) probably wouldn't be complaining if it had never been free. Perhaps I'm just concerned it's the start of an emerging pattern. What next - charging for ice skating, for the zip line on Oasis class, bumper cars and iFly (which I believe they do charge for in Asia), theatre/comedy shows? I already pay a significant upcharge on Speciality Restaurants compared to when I first started cruising with Royal because I feel the food and the experience/ambience better meets my needs. I don't want to have to start paying for all the onboard activities too. I can also see that I might have paid the original $8 charge but, like the speciality restaurants and some of the gym classes, prices just keep on rising and some people, like me, will reach a point where they say enough!

Thanks Merion-Mom for telling us about the Escape Room on Anthem, Jan. 2016. Did it for free with passengers we had not met, 2 from Canada, and 4 from Germany (whose English was limited) and had a blast, even getting out early. Bragging rights! Jan. 2017 on the Anthem, while traveling with a large group, did it again for free. Invited just a few from the group to go with us, but since we did it before, we only observed silently as our friends mastered the tasks. Amusing to watch them work together. Sept. 2017 (love the Anthem) did A Royal Mystery in 270 one afternoon of a sea day. Similar concept as the Room, solving puzzles to get clues for the solution. Random groups of fellow passengers. A popular free activity, 270 was full. Joanna