Cristobal Feb 2018

oh4s

Hi, we will be on MSC Divina in Feb 2018 (8am - 5pm) - I am very confused about hiring a taxi at the port to take us to Gatun Locks and perhaps Portobelo. Does the taxi driver wait while we look at locks etc? Is there a particular taxi company we should use and what would be the approx cost?

Thanks so much!

There might be a problem with you going to Gatun Locks... the visitor's center at Gatun Locks has been closed to the general public for about a year. The Canal Authority has been opening it when there is a cruise ship in port, what I don't know is if it is open to the general public at that time or to those who are on tours arranged by the ship. The new visitor's center at the Agua Clara Locks is open however.

Another bit of mystery that I don't really have an answer to. In general ships calling on the Atlantic side of the Canal dock in Colon and not Cristobal as Cristobal is strictly a container port while Colon is a passenger facility. Your docking in Cristobal may possibly be there is another cruise ship scheduled for Colon (NCL Jade, I think) that day and the Davina might be too large for the second berth in Colon.

Now to the taxis... There is no particular cab company, all the cabs are yellow and for what you want the price is certainly negotiable. It would be the better choice for you to have the taxi wait for you at whichever locks you go to. Where it might be possible for you to have a cab drop you at the locks, most other cabs you see will already have their passengers that they brought out there and are continuing on a tour or returning to the ship. So there won't likely be an empty cab waiting for a fare. The locks and Portobelo will be a pretty full day and I really don't have a real good feel as to the cost. Depending on what exactly you want and the number of people I really don't think something between $20 to $30 an hour would be unrealistic. Again that is just a very loose guesstimate. Just make sure you agree on a price and what it includes before hoping in. Also make sure your cabby's English skills are passable