Leaving ship early sucks!

GROUCHPUSS

Had to leave the Magic in Costa Maya. Wow what a long day. All started at about 3:30am with a call from home that made us decide we should leave the ship early and get home( I won't get into the call, but no one is hurt) We notified Guest Services and started packing as we had to meet immigration at 6:30am. The Immigration people were very nice and helpful they arranged a taxi for us to go to Cancun for our flight. After immigration we went back to our room and tried to nap as we were getting off the ship a 10am for our 4.5hr taxi ride to the Airport ($350.00us). We made it to the airport with time to spare and had a very nice driver Made home at 3am next morning. Only cost $35.00 ea for our travel visa. Carnival was great helped every step of the way. Man what a long day.

Sorry to hear of your emergency!! Another lesson why everyone should use passports. I'm sure had you only used your BC.... you would have spent much more time, with local officials and the US embassy trying to make arrangements to return to US from Mexico

Sorry you had to leave your cruise early. Never had to do that but did have to leave one land trip and modify another trip a few years later due to a family emergency. You are right...it sucks. Hope all is better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't think insurance would have helped since the OP was not required to leave the ship but voluntarily chose to do so.

Maybe.....could have been a medical thing back home and he chose to leave and it would still be covered. Pure speculation on my part, but my point is choice may or may not be a factor and it still could be covered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe.....could have been a medical thing back home and he chose to leave and it would still be covered. Pure speculation on my part, but my point is choice may or may not be a factor and it still could be covered.

Granted, I have only purchased insurance a couple of times in my cruising career but the few policies I purchased the medical aspect of the coverage only applied to the insuree, not to uninsured members back home.....if it was a medical condition to begin with (which I don't believe it was since the OP stated everyone was okay). But I guess a policy can exist to cover leaving the ship for any reason as well so it's always a possibility, just not a probability (IMO).

Anyway, hope the OP was able to take care of whatever was so important that they left ship mid-cruise. Personally, I can't think of anything short of death but everyone has their own priorities.

Granted, I have only purchased insurance a couple of times in my cruising career but the few policies I purchased the medical aspect of the coverage only applied to the insuree, not to uninsured members back home.....if it was a medical condition to begin with (which I don't believe it was since the OP stated everyone was okay). But I guess a policy can exist to cover leaving the ship for any reason as well so it's always a possibility, just not a probability (IMO).

Anyway, hope the OP was able to take care of whatever was so important that they left ship mid-cruise. Personally, I can't think of anything short of death but everyone has their own priorities.

We have had people traveling with us that have had to use it,while I cannot disagree with your take, it sucked at the least. Agree on the hopes for the op.

Everything is fine, just some banged up work trucks and I am the only one that can rent vehicles for our company. Don't know if insurance would have helped or not. Don't ever get it,. Could have used it a few times but that is out of 84 total cruises, so I think I am still ahead. lol

We had to leave a cruise early back in 1995. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary, and had just spent a week in St Maarten before flying to San Juan and boarding a cruise ship. On the second day out, after docking in St Croix, we received a phone call from back home of an emergency with our 15 year old daughter, who was staying with my parents. The cruise line ( the now defunct Regent Sun) tendered us in to St Kitts, had someone waiting for us, took us to a travel agency where they had airline tickets waiting for us. We were flown in a puddle jumper from St Kitts to Antigua, where we caught an Air Canada flight home. We were so impressed how the cruise line took charge so we had one less thing to worry about. The emergency turned out well, and all was ok with the 15 year old.

Everything is fine, just some banged up work trucks and I am the only one that can rent vehicles for our company. Don't know if insurance would have helped or not. Don't ever get it,. Could have used it a few times but that is out of 84 total cruises, so I think I am still ahead. lol

Glad it worked out and since it had to do with your business I'd be very surprised if the extra expenses weren't tax deductible. (And if it were me I'd be getting things set up so that someone else could rent vehicles in my absence.)