Emerald Beach?

tip

We visited Emerald Beach just over a week ago - It's our favourite too. The beach and buildings behind have suffered damage. The Best Western hotel was open, although I believe to house relief workers and not visitors. It didn't seem to have suffered structural damage although the beach bar was destroyed and being rebuilt. The main bar restaurant was open. There were loungers and shades in front of the hotel although, unlike previous visits, no-one was charging for them I believe the hotel is due to open at the start of the new year

The small hotel further along had been badly damaged with structural parts destroyed. The beach bar was open though, although parts had been washed away. There was much damage to trees along the beach.

The beach itself was noticeably different. I would estimate the water's edge was around 20 metres closer to the shoreline and with a big band of rocks and small pebbles, whereas it used to be a lovely gentle sandy slope into the sea. The water was also slightly cloudy with no evidence of fish/snorkelling opportunites. We were one of only 4 couples on the beach.