Pride of America - Best way to get back to airport after cruise

Salem615

Hi all

What time do we have to be off the Pride of America once it docks?

What do you all do regarding transportation to the airport?

I have not booked my airfare yet but most of the flights are afternoon flights. I was hoping we could stow our luggage and do something (if there is anything nearby). Is there any shops or tours or something within walking distance. If not I think we will just try to book an earlier flight if possible.

Visit the Hawaii destination forum for tips, ideas & tours, etc.

Most flights back to East Coast from HI leave in the afternoon or evening, I doubt that you will find a midday nonstop (maybe Hawaii or Alaska Air or one of the LCC ??)

POA is usually at her berth by 7 AM and it's like walking off a giant ferry-ship, no immigration or customs. I can't see you being on the ship beyond 9:30 or 10 AM, and will need to vacate your stateroom by 8 AM - MDR will continue to serve breakfast along with the buffet.

There is luggage storage inside the pier for a nominal fee, you can return in the afternoon to pick them up. Outside, there are some hourly metered parking if you rent a car for the day. Plenty of taxis lined up for trips to the airport, hotel, etc.

Allow plenty of time to go thru the agricultural inspection at the airport - with all hand & checked luggage, before being allowed to get bags tagged & complete checking in; then, go thru airport security - to the boarding gate. Food sold there are even more expensive, plan accordingly for your meal & snacks.

Chinatown is walking distance, maybe 20 minutes away - we took a taxi over for lunch with our local relatives. The big shopping mall is also nearby & you can ride the local bus over, or a short taxi ride over.

Mahalo :cool:

There are also NCL tours that last day that will store your luggage on the bus and take you to the airport after the tour.

When we were there a few years ago we did the NCL Round Island tour on debark day. It was excellent. We were happy to be dropped off at the airport as we were booked in to the Best Western for 3 nights and they run a shuttle.

They really want you off the ship. We were some of the last off at 9:15.

We took a cab to nearby airport and rented car due to late night flight. If you do the NCL excursions they have restrictions that flights must be after a certain time like 4

30 so check in advance.

They really want you off the ship. We were some of the last off at 9:15.

We took a cab to nearby airport and rented car due to late night flight. If you do the NCL excursions they have restrictions that flights must be after a certain time like 4

30 so check in advance.

Thanks for the idea to check if there are any 1/2 day tours with flights leaving after 2pm on NCL. Reviews have the airport drop off around 12pm. Though I am not a fan of cruise tours in a giant bus the 4 hour Pearl Harbor may fit the bill. We are staying a few days pre-cruise but we have activities every day and I told DD maybe we can take DGD another time. This tour timing sounds about right for us.

We are doing Pearl Harbor that day. Flight doesn’t leave until 7 so we are taking the NCL excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did exactly that. Very good way to see Pearl Harbor and transport to airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took a tour with Roberts Hawaii that went all around the island including dole pineapple , north shore, time allowed at the Polynesian village and dropped us at airport. we’d already been to Pearl Harbor before the cruise. I think it was for flights after 3 pm.

It was great there ended up being just four of us on a smaller bus, we had extra rows for our luggage. Loren was our guide, he was very nice and knowledgeable.. We booked three tours directly with Roberts, as I believe the cost was less. We enjoyed them all and the guides. There was one tour we booked through NCL and they used Roberts anyway.

Thank you for some ideas. We will be doing Pearl Harbor pre-cruise but an island tour sounds nice. The flight we are looking at is at 3:40pm. I don't want to be sitting at the airport that long when we can be enjoying a little more Hawaii!

Thank you for some ideas. We will be doing Pearl Harbor pre-cruise but an island tour sounds nice. The flight we are looking at is at 3:40pm. I don't want to be sitting at the airport that long when we can be enjoying a little more Hawaii!

If you call the excursion desk they will give you the approximate time the excursion drops you off at the airport. Between CC and the phone call, I am excited about booking the half-day that was suggested.

Visit the Hawaii destination forum for tips, ideas & tours, etc.

There is luggage storage inside the pier for a nominal fee, you can return in the afternoon to pick them up. Outside, there are some hourly metered parking if you rent a car for the day. Plenty of taxis lined up for trips to the airport, hotel, etc.

Chinatown is walking distance, maybe 20 minutes away - we took a taxi over for lunch with our local relatives. The big shopping mall is also nearby & you can ride the local bus over, or a short taxi ride over.

If you use the luggage storage at the pier, there is usually someone there offering a free shuttle to the Aloha Mall. The catch is they take you to a jewelry store first for a tour. When you are finished there, the shuttle takes you to the mall (very large food court there) and picks you up from the mall to take you back to the pier. Plenty of taxis available to get you to the airport.

If you use the luggage storage at the pier, there is usually someone there offering a free shuttle to the Aloha Mall. The catch is they take you to a jewelry store first for a tour ...
Unless it's a duty-free NOT affiliated with D.I. - probably could cost a great deal more than the freebie is worth - ;p IMHO.

Roberts Hawaii was and remains highly recommended by many visiting paradise ... not sure if there is really enough time to go around the island, see the north shore without rushing (best to do that on a full day schedule vs. a 3:30 or 4 PM departure, where it is advised to be at the airport at least 2 to 2..5 hours before with the extra screening)

Call them directly and/or email to see what the options are & the bundled costs, etc. - it is nice to have the luggage along & not having to return to the pier in the afternoon, traffic in Honolulu is bad these days, unlike 25 years ago when we first visited.

Common sense - do not leave any bags, luggage or shopping items visible in plain sights in a rental car, any vehicle - really, hide them & take the valuables along - not fun to deal with smashed windows & filing a police report with the airline's homebound flight counting down.

Uber works great in Hawaii. Just off the POA and used Uber all around Honolulu. While I was there the drivers were excited as they have just been allowed to begin airport pickups/drop offs. There is also Lyft. I had a late flight so we did the North Shore excursion with airport drop off, which worked great. Drop off was at 2pm and it was designed for flights after 5pm. There were other tours with earlier drop offs and their may have been a simple airport transfer. If all you need is a ride- I would go with Uber,