Bali, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore?

sjf

We shall be stopping in all three places next spring. Where will be best to shop for souvenirs and clothes? (Best prices and variety).

I'd love to know if you bought anything special in any of these places.

Depending exactly where you go I'm pretty certain you'll find best value and most-authentic stuff on Bali.

Bali is unique in Indonesia - where the rest of the country is predominantly Muslim, Bali is predominantly Hindu and very very artistic.

Ubud is a village - more a collection of villages - of artists & craftsmen working in wood, stone, precious metals (esp silver), embroidery, painting, etc etc. https://www.baliadvertiser.biz/craft_villages/

Prices are very very reasonable.

Nearby is a monkey sanctuary,

where you walk amongst the residents. And if you have a snack at a nearby café, they're likely to hop over the wall & join you :cool:

There's a long street of crafts/souvenirs shops near the monkey sanctuary. Elsewhere in the world we find that shops & market stalls all sell more-or-less the same-old same-old stuff, much of it of dubious origin - but here we found a great selection of locally-made goods.

Ubud is about an hour from Kuta, where most ships call.

Must admit we didn't rate K.L.

For modern shopping Singapore has much more to offer, but I don't know the value compared to K.L.

JB :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can only comment on KL.

I am not a great shopper but even I found KL great for shopping. I bought shoes and handbags. Not clothes as was a bit paranoid about getting my Western sized butt into tiny Asian sizing. I really like the shopping centre under the Petronas Towers for a day out as you could combine shopping with sight-seeing and also nice lunch. I really liked the food at Little Penang cafe and there were some nice bars for a drink looking out over the fountains at the back of the centre.

Where are you from? Coming from Australia the range in KL was so much better and prices perhaps slightly cheaper. If you are from the US you'll probably be disappointed as you have such great range and prices at home.

Thanks for the info. We are from UK. Will probably try to buy a souvenir or two at each stop, but don't want to go mad at the first stop and then find nicer, cheaper stuff in the days that follow.