LIVE -To and From the Amazon - 11/17-12/12/2017

Travelcat2

Still planning on doing a review (on this thread). Think that I need another couple of days. The accumulated mail was overwhelming - probably 3 pounds of junk regarding Black Friday (didn't look at it as I don't want to see what I missed).

towel-animal - the premium alcohols that they used was Patron tequila, Grey Goose (or Chopin) vodka, Bombay Sapphire gin and I didn't care what rum they used (actually didn't care about the gin much either - mainly cared about the tequila and vodka). Once they got used to it (a couple of days), they knew automatically how I wanted it. The only changes I made was when I ordered a Mexican Butterfly with Don Julio tequila. While we are not too fussy with alcohols, when we drink tequila at home, we generally use Don Julio but I heard before I left that there is a shortage in the U.S. So, I switched between Patron and Don Julio on board. My lunch time alcohol splurge is because I only drink champagne before dinner and wine with dinner so that is the only time I can have a really good (and strong drink).*

*Should clarify that in case Zqueeze1 is reading this. When we cruised with him, the lovely "TB" and other CC'er last year, there was aa group of us that met at the pool bar after lunch where I was occasionally tempted to drink more than my usual limit. It was a lot of fun and I only had a few headaches.:evilsmile:

Ken - the rum sounds good! Thanks for the suggestion.

Although I did a rather extensive blog while onboard Mariner, there are some final comments that I would like to make. Let’s start with the Amazon since there is so much interest in it.

With the exception of Santarem, the ports in the Amazon were wonderful. Santerem, unfortunately, is a made-up village. Although I did not personally visit this port (due to lack of interest), my DH and lecturer Terry Breen made us aware of the situation. On one hand I feel that the villagers (that do not live in the village that you see), are being exploited but on the other hand, they are given money and gifts which is nice. I would much rather see the true villages receive some of the money and supplies. The locals cut the wings off of beautiful birds that should be free so that photos can be taken with them. They take sloths out of trees for the same reason (and I wonder if they can live after being removed - handled and possibly returned to the trees). The villagers do not live in this fake village — they are there for the tourists.

Parintins with their Boi Bumba show (I posted photos of this) was wonderful.

Manaus is a mixed bag. It is a big city with a lot of crime (not suggested that you go out after dark and this was the port where removing jewelry was strongly suggested). We were there for two days. The second day my DH went ashore but I had no interest. Although the Opera House was lovely, I do not regret my decision. Besides, even though the Opera House is beautiful, the original beauty was lost many years ago (before it was closed down - became infested with termites and was rebuilt in the ’90’s).

The highlight of our time in the Amazon was our semi-private excursion that I posted photos of. The village visit was my personal highlight. It was so real - the people unspoiled and natural. It is probably the only place in the world where I would eat a fried ant - just because this is what was being presented by the locals that only have fish, grubs, ants, etc. to eat (these are the people that I wish could receive a benefit of tourist visits from Regent (many of us gave tips in this village). When the youngest local (probably 3 years of age) chose me to dance, it was a magical moment - one I will never forget.

Devils Island is definitely amazing. We watched Terry Breen's lecture on television about three times. For me, however, hiking in intense heat is difficult if not impossible. I did walk for about 1/4 of a mile - my DH circled the island.

Okay - the ship. Back in September when we took the Alaska cruise on the Mariner there was a food issue (the crew and service were perfection but the food was far from it), my DH decided the he never wanted to go on the Mariner again. He felt that the ship was run down, etc. etc. etc. However, after this cruise, he would return to the Mariner - even if it were never refurbished. I share this because it illustrates that having one major thing go wrong on a cruise can color the entire cruise - even the ship.

Sanitation is a huge issue. As most know, Mariner had 4 code reds beginning in September (not continuous - some were only parts of a cruise). When Captain Serena and G.M. Andreas decided to have a no handshaking policy, it changed everything (if I didn’t mention this earlier, the palms of ones hands is a haven for germs). In addition to doing fist and elbow “bumps”, they continued extra sanitation measures throughout the cruise as it is fairly common for sicknesses to occur after visiting the Amazon (not sure why). At the end of this healthy cruise, Andreas said that he will suggest this policy on all future cruises and hopes that he can convince the Captains of the benefits of this procedure.

I should say upfront that the Caribbean has never been a favorite of ours. This time, unfortunately due to the hurricane damage in Puerto Rico, we got to visit St. Kitts which, IOO (in our opinion) was the best Caribbean port that we visited. Wish that Regent would visit there regularly. Our least favorite Caribbean port was Antigua. It was run down - the people were rude and prices were outrageous. Barbados was not far behind. NOTE; The places where the excursions went could be beautiful but we do not do excursions in most places and prefer to visit local stores, restaurants, etc. St. Kitts was paradise compared to the other islands IOO. St. Barths is beautiful (despite the horrendous damage done by the hurricanes) but we are not particularly interested in visiting a high priced island that typically has super expensive yachts moored there. If we want to see that, we'd go to Monaco. I will say that I am impressed with the support that St. Barths received from France. Their support is helping to rebuild the island (faster than Puerto Rico and other islands in the Caribbean that were affected).

Don't want to ramble on any longer -- just want to post to complete this thread. Would I recommend going to the Amazon? Well, it is amazing in many ways and is quite an education. If you can handle intense heat, go for it. I am very happy that we did it. Would I return to the Amazon? No!

Thank you all for staying with this thread for so long.

TC2: your thread was wonderful. I really appreciate your objectivity and perspective. I’m very glad to read that many of the issues that somewhat marred our experience on the Mariner in Eastern Canada have apparently been remedied. I was candid in my comment card and I hope it made a slight impact.

I’ve never really considered the Amazon (DW can’t stand heat or humidity) but your experience sounded quite intriguing. You never know . . .

Anyway, thanks for taking us along.

Thank you, TC, for this thread. I dislike heat and humidity also, so totally understood your feelings. Wished we had had your thread before we did the Amazon several years ago. I learned from your experiences and those of some of the posters. Glad you are home safely and looking forward to your next Regent cruise. We will be on the refurbished Mariner April 4.

With the exception of Santarem, the ports in the Amazon were wonderful. Santerem, unfortunately, is a made-up village. Although I did not personally visit this port (due to lack of interest), my DH and lecturer Terry Breen made us aware of the situation. On one hand I feel that the villagers (that do not live in the village that you see), are being exploited but on the other hand, they are given money and gifts which is nice. I would much rather see the true villages receive some of the money and supplies. The locals cut the wings off of beautiful birds that should be free so that photos can be taken with them. They take sloths out of trees for the same reason (and I wonder if they can live after being removed - handled and possibly returned to the trees). The villagers do not live in this fake village — they are there for the tourists.

Jackie, thanks very much for maintaining this blog of our amazing Amazon journey. We were on board as well, and truly enjoyed the experience. It was our first Regent cruise, which made it all the more special.

I think you meant to refer to Boca Da Valeria in the paragraph I quoted. We ended up hiring one of the canoes near the pier, and traveled about 20 minutes up one of the tributaries to a neighboring village, where we saw a more modern school and visited with some delightful children. For anyone considering this cruise in the future (I'm thinking Jackie's extensive thread will become a resource for those considering an Amazon journey), I would recommend taking one of the canoes for a more realistic look at life along the river in the Boca Da Valeria area.

Jackie, thanks very much for maintaining this blog of our amazing Amazon journey. We were on board as well, and truly enjoyed the experience. It was our first Regent cruise, which made it all the more special.

I think you meant to refer to Boca Da Valeria in the paragraph I quoted. We ended up hiring one of the canoes near the pier, and traveled about 20 minutes up one of the tributaries to a neighboring village, where we saw a more modern school and visited with some delightful children. For anyone considering this cruise in the future (I'm thinking Jackie's extensive thread will become a resource for those considering an Amazon journey), I would recommend taking one of the canoes for a more realistic look at life along the river in the Boca Da Valeria area.

DIdn't know that passengers in Boca Da Valeria went to a village. Five of us went on an 8 hour semi-private excursion out of Manaus which is where the village was that we saw. Hiring a canoe to go up one of the tributaries sounds like fun. It would have been nice to visit a modern school. Where we went was literally in the middle of nowhere - about an hour from Manaus.

So happy to hear that you enjoyed your first Regent cruise.

Jackie, you have done an amazing job on reporting on this particular cruise. Kudos to you! I am still trying to get journal together so that I can post about my experience (an outstanding one) as well. Again, thank you for wonderful reporting.

Jackie, you have done an amazing job on reporting on this particular cruise. Kudos to you! I am still trying to get journal together so that I can post about my experience (an outstanding one) as well. Again, thank you for wonderful reporting.

Thanks so much. Looking forward to reading about your cruise:)

Ken - the rum sounds good! Thanks for the suggestion.

Although I did a rather extensive blog while onboard Mariner, there are some final comments that I would like to make. Let’s start with the Amazon since there is so much interest in it.

Parintins with their Boi Bumba show (I posted photos of this) was wonderful.

Manaus is a mixed bag. It is a big city with a lot of crime (not suggested that you go out after dark and this was the port where removing jewelry was strongly suggested). We were there for two days. The second day my DH went ashore but I had no interest. Although the Opera House was lovely, I do not regret my decision. Besides, even though the Opera House is beautiful, the original beauty was lost many years ago (before it was closed down - became infested with termites and was rebuilt in the ’90’s).

The highlight of our time in the Amazon was our semi-private excursion that I posted photos of. The village visit was my personal highlight. It was so real - the people unspoiled and natural. It is probably the only place in the world where I would eat a fried ant - just because this is what was being presented by the locals that only have fish, grubs, ants, etc. to eat (these are the people that I wish could receive a benefit of tourist visits from Regent (many of us gave tips in this village). When the youngest local (probably 3 years of age) chose me to dance, it was a magical moment - one I will never forget.

Devils Island is definitely amazing. We watched Terry Breen's lecture on television about three times. For me, however, hiking in intense heat is difficult if not impossible. I did walk for about 1/4 of a mile - my DH circled the island.

Okay - the ship. Back in September when we took the Alaska cruise on the Mariner there was a food issue (the crew and service were perfection but the food was far from it), my DH decided the he never wanted to go on the Mariner again. He felt that the ship was run down, etc. etc. etc. However, after this cruise, he would return to the Mariner - even if it were never refurbished. I share this because it illustrates that having one major thing go wrong on a cruise can color the entire cruise - even the ship.

Sanitation is a huge issue. As most know, Mariner had 4 code reds beginning in September (not continuous - some were only parts of a cruise). When Captain Serena and G.M. Andreas decided to have a no handshaking policy, it changed everything (if I didn’t mention this earlier, the palms of ones hands is a haven for germs). In addition to doing fist and elbow “bumps”, they continued extra sanitation measures throughout the cruise as it is fairly common for sicknesses to occur after visiting the Amazon (not sure why). At the end of this healthy cruise, Andreas said that he will suggest this policy on all future cruises and hopes that he can convince the Captains of the benefits of this procedure.

I should say upfront that the Caribbean has never been a favorite of ours. This time, unfortunately due to the hurricane damage in Puerto Rico, we got to visit St. Kitts which, IOO (in our opinion) was the best Caribbean port that we visited. Wish that Regent would visit there regularly. Our least favorite Caribbean port was Antigua. It was run down - the people were rude and prices were outrageous. Barbados was not far behind. NOTE; The places where the excursions went could be beautiful but we do not do excursions in most places and prefer to visit local stores, restaurants, etc. St. Kitts was paradise compared to the other islands IOO. St. Barths is beautiful (despite the horrendous damage done by the hurricanes) but we are not particularly interested in visiting a high priced island that typically has super expensive yachts moored there. If we want to see that, we'd go to Monaco. I will say that I am impressed with the support that St. Barths received from France. Their support is helping to rebuild the island (faster than Puerto Rico and other islands in the Caribbean that were affected).

Don't want to ramble on any longer -- just want to post to complete this thread. Would I recommend going to the Amazon? Well, it is amazing in many ways and is quite an education. If you can handle intense heat, go for it. I am very happy that we did it. Would I return to the Amazon? No!

Thank you all for staying with this thread for so long.

Jackie,

Thank you so much for keeping up with and finishing this thread with your final thoughts. While I personally do not have an interest in going to the Amazon, we are sailing on the Mariner and our first Regent ( we have cruised Many times on quite a few lines) cruise next year , the Mariner in particular so I really enjoyed hearing all of your thoughts. I love your writing style.

My bet is despite being on holiday for such a long time, that you are both exhausted (doesn’t it seem wrong that we are tired after vacation..lol)

So rest up and have a happy healthy holiday and New Year!

Wendy

Again, I have "lurked" on this Thread. Because--wife and I did a very-similar May-June Navigator itinerary. As requested by other CC folks, posted some thoughts on your Roll Call (since deleted) as to our preparations from a medical standpoint; then, while onboard, some observations. These primarily related to experiences while actually on The River--at high flow.

On purpose, declined to be responsible for providing a day-to-day onboard Thread.

Certainly, we benefited by not having to deal with Caribbean ports of call changes required due to the devastating hurricane. Also benefited by having the same on-board commentator, Terry Breen. Probably, you experienced samples of many of the same wonderful (and doomed) bugs who appeared onboard each morning. Doomed because diversity of insect species (estimated 25,000) within the Amazon Basin means any bug hitching a ride on a passing cruise ship--attracted by evening lights--will wind up in the morning outside its acquired environment. Thus, doomed. Well, that is a pleasant thought. NOT!

So-may similar thoughts as conveyed on this Thread. Glad many of you folks followed a recommendation to attend the Boi Bumba Show. Took a while for our ear drums to return to normal. Also, you are fortunate that tide, sea conditions, and weather allowed tendering near the three-island area containing the Devil's Island complex. It was worth the effort to climb the many steps or the trail leading to the Main Prison complex and Children's Cemetery. The pictorial Museum provided a poignant historical perspective of Devil's, without need of an on-site Guide.

My one push-back regards some less than positive comments regarding Manaus and the Opera House. A totally-positive experience, which should not be missed. Terry's pre visit lecture provided historical context as to the city. As I suggested--take the morning excursion, which included, in our experience, two other stops, one at a botanical garden and animal recovery "zoo". This was the best shore excursion. The Opera House was in great condition; the weather cooperated; and we had a wonderful Guide and an experienced driver.

Bottom line. Would we do this cruise again? No. But, we are glad we did it one time.

Upcoming experiences in 2018 will be on Regent cruise(s) via Panama Canal from West to East Coast; then East to West to visit family and friends; and 2019 on European River excursions throughout France.

Best to all--and have a wonderful, and safe Holiday Season.

GOARMY!

• 2 weeks later...

Jackie,

I am enjoying your posts. As I was scrolling through your pics of the Manaus Opera House, I saw my husband. Jim and I were also on this cruise and enjoyed it very much. I , like you, do not tolerate extreme heat and humidity well. However, I am so glad I went. By the way, Jim is in the NDSU cap.

Jackie,

I am enjoying your posts. As I was scrolling through your pics of the Manaus Opera House, I saw my husband. Jim and I were also on this cruise and enjoyed it very much. I , like you, do not tolerate extreme heat and humidity well. However, I am so glad I went. By the way, Jim is in the NDSU cap.

When I read your post I had to go back and see where your husband was. Not a great picture of his face but his hat was definitely easy to see:D. I think about that cruise a lot. It had more of an impact on me than I ever expected.

TC2,

Thanks so much for blogging about your trip. I'm scheduled for the November 2018 Amazon itinerary on the Navigator, and following along on your journey has really whet my appetite for our cruise!

It looks like our scheduled island stops are considerably different than the ones you had. Also only one day in port at Manaus.

Will definitely be reviewing this when it is time to book excursions!

TC2,

Thanks so much for blogging about your trip. I'm scheduled for the November 2018 Amazon itinerary on the Navigator, and following along on your journey has really whet my appetite for our cruise!

It looks like our scheduled island stops are considerably different than the ones you had. Also only one day in port at Manaus.

Will definitely be reviewing this when it is time to book excursions!

One day in Manaus is extremely interesting because the Captain told us that they needed the overnight in Manaus to fill the ship up with water. By the time we reached Manaus we were pretty low on water. Since the ship cannot make water while in the Amazon and the only place they can get it from is Manaus, it is puzzling.

I'll have to check your itinerary since there will be different stops.

Just one last post on this Thread for any value it might have for folks planning a very-similar Navigator Miami-Amazon River-Miami '18 itinerary.

As detailed earlier, my wife and I experienced this great Navigator May-June '17 itinerary. Fortunately, we did not have to deal with hurricanes or civil unrest at scheduled port calls. Of course, as related to any cruise, passengers must expect changes required due to medical emergencies and such. As to the Amazon: there is the added dimension of this gigantic River, which at times, sets its own course. This was our experience, which did require alteration of port stops.

None of the above deflected from the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to visit the Devils' Island prison complex. Please refer to my earlier postings. Just be prepared.

A Ship's Captain can control only so much. He or she cannot control River flow, tides, or the fact that a ship cannot utilize on-board water purification systems to produce fresh water from sea water. Because: the Great River (Amazon) controls all such about 300 miles before, and after, ever entering the Mouth. One only has to look over the rail to see the water has changed. It is not Atlantic sea water which can be distilled; it is muddy water from the Amazon. So--

Passengers will get warnings several days before arrival at the Mouth. These are to conserve fresh water. The Navigator will take similar precautions. These will continue after exiting the River en route to Miami. No big deal. We never experienced a problem obtaining a drink of water. We did, of course, do our small part to conserve usage while onboard.

As to Manaus: whether your itinerary is one, or two days at to Port of Call--suggest that include visiting the Opera House. I will say no more. Again, refer to earlier posting(s).

Best to all in 2018. Perhaps we will see each other on several Regent Panama Canal crossings.

GOARMY!

Thanks for the posts. We did this trip three years ago from Rio to Miami!

We loved our huge suite. I don’t remember anyone waiting in line to get on. The service was wonderful, however I did get food poisoning from bad caviar, Lost a day of the trip,

Of all the trips we have taken it was our least favorite until we got to dEvils island and the Caribbean. We have done the rivers of the world and the Amazon was our very least favorite. A bucket list trip that was a bust for us. We also found the people pretentious.

( odd because we have made lifelong friends on other regent cruises.) we also had some rough seas. I do believe in the ear plug method described here. I always wear ear plugs to bed on a ship. And during the day if it’s choppy. Also on airplanes. Oddly I don’t remember the heat. Like others posted we won’t be back to Brazil. ( but we did live Argentina and Iguassu falls was just amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the posts. We did this trip three years ago from Rio to Miami!

We loved our huge suite. I don’t remember anyone waiting in line to get on. The service was wonderful, however I did get food poisoning from bad caviar, Lost a day of the trip,

Of all the trips we have taken it was our least favorite until we got to dEvils island and the Caribbean. We have done the rivers of the world and the Amazon was our very least favorite. A bucket list trip that was a bust for us. We also found the people pretentious.

( odd because we have made lifelong friends on other regent cruises.) we also had some rough seas. I do believe in the ear plug method described here. I always wear ear plugs to bed on a ship. And during the day if it’s choppy. Also on airplanes. Oddly I don’t remember the heat. Like others posted we won’t be back to Brazil. ( but we did live Argentina and Iguassu falls was just amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is always good to hear another person's "take" on the Amazon, the Caribbean and Devil's Island. While not our least favorite cruise, it isn't one of our favorites either and we would never do it again.

Which people did you find pretentious - the passengers or the people living in the Amazon? Guessing it was the passengers. We sailed with friends and basically didn't pay attention to the other passengers.

Personally, I found the Amazon the most interesting part of our cruise, then Devil's Island and last the Caribbean (except for St. Kitts which we both loved). I agree with those of you that never wanted to return to Brazil but for some reason, two other sailings either started or ended in Brazil. It is interesting how things work out.

The waiting in line for priority embarkation to finish is new - only started in November.

Did you get sick from the caviar at the Seven Seas Society party or at Sunday brunch? I'm getting to the point where I just don't care for the caviar served on Sundays (but still love the mimosas:-)

Thank you for your very nice reply to my comments. It is interesting that we all have different opinions of travels.

Re the food poisoning...it was the Sunday brunch caviar. I had my portion and my husbands. I was ill about three hours after i ate it and it was not noro as I was violently ill for about an hour and then I was fine pretty soon after that. I read up on caviar and it is one of those foods that needs to always be kept ice cold. I think my portion had been sitting out.

The pretentious people were passengers. Just some of the people we met .. or more than we have met before. Especially on high end cruises. We pick cruises based on itineraries and not necessarily cruise lines. we have sailed, Cunard, Seabourn and Regent many times. Also Celebrity, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Princess, and even Carnival. This cruise was just an odd mix. At the end of the trip we did meet two very nice couples.

Regarding the Amazon.. we were expecting a more interesting River. We love River cruising and have done most of the major rivers of the World including the whole Mississippi, The Ohio, the Yangtze, The Rhine, The Irrawaddy, the Nile, the Mekong, The Danube, The Rhone and probably a few more I have forgotten. The Amazon was pretty much all the same which was much like the lower Mississippi.

Not a lot of towns. Or different vegetation. We sort of enjoyed Manaus. I was really looking forward to the Opera House but sadly the day we visited was the day after a big concert there and the whole place was very disheveled.

We also like a bit more culture.. And we did have rough seas along the coast. I didn't get seasick but i did find it hard to sleep.

We have been to over 100 countries and on many trips by land and sea. It wasn't our worst trip... that would be Egypt. (Interesting sights but the worst tour guide we have ever had. Also an itinerary from hell with a 2:30 am wake up call one day.) Sometime things just don't work out. and this trip just had more issues than most. Like i said we loved the pre trip portion. Buenos Aries was gorgeous. Tons of Culture. Iguassu falls stunning. But Rio was scary plus it rained the whole time.

Still our room and butler was lovely, the food good with the exception of the caviar. The port lecturer, Terry, was so interesting.

Not a horrible trip.. just certainly not our favorite.

• 2 weeks later...
It is always good to hear another person's "take" on the Amazon, the Caribbean and Devil's Island. While not our least favorite cruise, it isn't one of our favorites either and we would never do it again.

Which people did you find pretentious - the passengers or the people living in the Amazon? Guessing it was the passengers. We sailed with friends and basically didn't pay attention to the other passengers.

Personally, I found the Amazon the most interesting part of our cruise, then Devil's Island and last the Caribbean (except for St. Kitts which we both loved). I agree with those of you that never wanted to return to Brazil but for some reason, two other sailings either started or ended in Brazil. It is interesting how things work out.

The waiting in line for priority embarkation to finish is new - only started in November.

Did you get sick from the caviar at the Seven Seas Society party or at Sunday brunch? I'm getting to the point where I just don't care for the caviar served on Sundays (but still love the mimosas:-)

I want to join in with other "lurkers" to thank you for your commentary, your insights, your pictures and your suggestions on this trip. I'm on the NAVAGATOR on the Nov 25 sailing, so it was helpful getting ideas from your blog.

Question about the people that harrodsfan brought up. I'm cruising as a single and have had no problems on other "big" cruise ships joining people for meals - you ask for a table to share (obviously others also say they want to share and you meet new people ever night.) How does it work on Regent?

I want to join in with other "lurkers" to thank you for your commentary, your insights, your pictures and your suggestions on this trip. I'm on the NAVAGATOR on the Nov 25 sailing, so it was helpful getting ideas from your blog.

Question about the people that harrodsfan brought up. I'm cruising as a single and have had no problems on other "big" cruise ships joining people for meals - you ask for a table to share (obviously others also say they want to share and you meet new people ever night.) How does it work on Regent?

Hi and thank you for your kind comments!

It sounds like Regent is similar to cruise lines with open seating. You ask the Maitre 'd for a shared table and can sit different people every night. The Social Hostess on Regent also has meetings and dinners for single travelers. They seem to have a lot of fun.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 months later...