Transportation from cruise port, very expensive? Any ideas?

Elusive_Cruiser

We are going to be a group of 6 needing transportation from the cruise port to Tamarind Reef Resort - looking at what the normal cab rates are, it is going to cost us $35 PER PERSON, for the return trip ($210 Total). This seems very expensive for a 30 minute ride. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

We are going to be a group of 6 needing transportation from the cruise port to Tamarind Reef Resort - looking at what the normal cab rates are, it is going to cost us $35 PER PERSON, for the return trip ($210 Total). This seems very expensive for a 30 minute ride. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tamarind is about as far as you can possibly go from the pier, any particular reason you want to go there?

You could try Prince, 340-642-3811, if he's up and running he may do you a better deal on it.

If not him then try Sweeney's at 340-773-6700, they may work with you on the price.

I'm not going to lie to you, I wouldn't drive that far on a cruise ship day for less than $500. It's a hell of a drive. *shrugs*

Tamarind is about as far as you can possibly go from the pier, any particular reason you want to go there?

You could try Prince, 340-642-3811, if he's up and running he may do you a better deal on it.

If not him then try Sweeney's at 340-773-6700, they may work with you on the price.

I'm not going to lie to you, I wouldn't drive that far on a cruise ship day for less than $500. It's a hell of a drive. *shrugs*

Thanks for your response! I was hoping you, the resident guru, would chime in! We are doing a sail over to Buck Island with Captain Heinz on the Dragonfly (Teroro), which leaves from Green Cay Marina & Tamarind Reef Resort. Curious to know what makes it 'a hell of a drive'? And, thanks for the referrals.

Patricia

Thanks for your response! I was hoping you, the resident guru, would chime in! We are doing a sail over to Buck Island with Captain Heinz on the Dragonfly (Teroro), which leaves from Green Cay Marina & Tamarind Reef Resort. Curious to know what makes it 'a hell of a drive'? And, thanks for the referrals.

Patricia

Ah, ok well, at least you have a good reason lol.

The roads are BAD since the storms, I generally stay pretty close to home these days, except to go to work. The roads are pretty shabby at the best of times, low speed-limits, winding paths, blind turns, but now the potholes will swallow small cars. So generally speaking these days if you live west you stay west, if you live east you stay east. Not saying it's not worth it, just telling it how it is.

Ah, ok well, at least you have a good reason lol.

The roads are BAD since the storms, I generally stay pretty close to home these days, except to go to work. The roads are pretty shabby at the best of times, low speed-limits, winding paths, blind turns, but now the potholes will swallow small cars. So generally speaking these days if you live west you stay west, if you live east you stay east. Not saying it's not worth it, just telling it how it is.

Oh oh - now I'm a little concerned. We arrive in port at 8am, departing at 5pm. We need to be at Tamarind Reef Resort for 9:30am and will arrive back there at 2:30pm. When I googled, the drive should have take 1/2 hour - with the bad roads, how long will it take now?

Also, we wanted to go over to Buck Island as the snorkelling is supposed to be so awesome - do you know if it still is after the hurricanes?

Really appreciate your feedback Darrin!

Patricia

Oh oh - now I'm a little concerned. We arrive in port at 8am, departing at 5pm. We need to be at Tamarind Reef Resort for 9:30am and will arrive back there at 2:30pm. When I googled, the drive should have take 1/2 hour - with the bad roads, how long will it take now?

Also, we wanted to go over to Buck Island as the snorkelling is supposed to be so awesome - do you know if it still is after the hurricanes?

Really appreciate your feedback Darrin!

Patricia

Google maps is never accurate down here, that being said when I punch it in I get 40 minutes minimum (I attached a screenshot). I would say it'll be closer to an hour and 15 minutes each way. Still doable within your time limits but worth being aware of.

I haven't been out to Buck Island since the storm but my friends that have say it's still amazing!

Happy to help!

Pier to Tamarind.pdf

Google maps is never accurate down here, that being said when I punch it in I get 40 minutes minimum (I attached a screenshot). I would say it'll be closer to an hour and 15 minutes each way. Still doable within your time limits but worth being aware of.

I haven't been out to Buck Island since the storm but my friends that have say it's still amazing!

Happy to help!

Thank you Thank you - you are #1 AWESOME :)

Drake, we are coming in to port in January and I want to go to botanical gardens. If I want to do it on my own, is it easy to walk off boat, get a taxi to take us over? Idea of cost? Tour To gardens and Captain Morgan would be about $150 if bought on boat. Thank you, and glad to hear you are safe.. it looks like you are a great contributor for us cruise planners!

Drake, we are coming in to port in January and I want to go to botanical gardens. If I want to do it on my own, is it easy to walk off boat, get a taxi to take us over? Idea of cost? Tour To gardens and Captain Morgan would be about $150 if bought on boat. Thank you, and glad to hear you are safe.. it looks like you are a great contributor for us cruise planners!

Should be easy to grab a taxi for that and should cost about $10 each way.

$150 is highway robbery!!

If the botanical gardens costs you anything it might be a $5 donation, that plus a round trip taxi should be $25 total.

Captain Morgan is a waste of time, you should really go to Cruzan! But if you insist the taxi will cost you $15 each way from the pier and the tour is $10.

All together I total that up to $65 for the day.

If the ship is really charging $150 someone is making a killing!!

• 4 weeks later...

Drake we have never been, & are coming in April.. Would were looking at either big beards buck island tour, a hike to the tidal pools (I'm nervous about that more my hubby's choice) or beach day? & what beach would you choose? We prefer not super crowded but chairs/umbrellas avail. a bar is nice but not a required..

• 2 weeks later...
Drake we have never been, & are coming in April.. Would were looking at either big beards buck island tour, a hike to the tidal pools (I'm nervous about that more my hubby's choice) or beach day? & what beach would you choose? We prefer not super crowded but chairs/umbrellas avail. a bar is nice but not a required..

I would do the beach day for your first time here, that way if you get tired of it you can just wander into town rather than being stuck somewhere. I would hit Sandcastle for what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding onto the transportation question - we are going to be heading to Christiansted for a food tour in about a month from the pier. Are taxi's readily available? Or should we arrange for transportation out there in advance?

• 2 weeks later...
Adding onto the transportation question - we are going to be heading to Christiansted for a food tour in about a month from the pier. Are taxi's readily available? Or should we arrange for transportation out there in advance?

Taxis to C'sted are readily available, that's the main destination for taxis on ship days. Should be no problem to find one on the day you arrive.

Taxis to C'sted are readily available, that's the main destination for taxis on ship days. Should be no problem to find one on the day you arrive.

I noticed below you said Capt Morgan was/is a waste of time. Some in our group really want to do this. There are eight of us. How about getting transportation? Still readily available and approx cost? Thanks!

I noticed below you said Capt Morgan was/is a waste of time. Some in our group really want to do this. There are eight of us. How about getting transportation? Still readily available and approx cost? Thanks!

Absolutely available on a ship day, should be a convoy of taxis headed that way from the moment the ship docks. The standard rate is $10 per person but with a group that size they'll probably offer you a deal, try to haggle with the driver and see what they can do.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Drake,

I have a Quick Question we will be visiting in April 2019 and want to get to Christiansted My we are taking my Father in Law he has always wanted to go to see where his Uncle Angelo Marasco helped start and taught the Music Program in the School system. We would like to see where the School was I believe it was a High School at the time in the late 1950's and 1960's. Any information would be helpful.

• 4 weeks later...
Drake,

I have a Quick Question we will be visiting in April 2019 and want to get to Christiansted My we are taking my Father in Law he has always wanted to go to see where his Uncle Angelo Marasco helped start and taught the Music Program in the School system. We would like to see where the School was I believe it was a High School at the time in the late 1950's and 1960's. Any information would be helpful.

Good morning, I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. I'm sorry but I have no idea what school you are referring to, there are a couple private schools in Christiansted town but nothing that used to be a high school as far as I know. Do you have any further information?