is 830 flight out of FLL pushing it?

luckyinpa

i suspect they don't want to out themselves, or face the "we told you so" committee that is sure to jump on them. I know if i did something against recommendations and it turned out poorly, i would wallow in my private shame but not post about it on the forums.

that said, i always leave a day or so buffer between cruise and flight, but i'm lucky all of my cruises have either been form my home port or port by my family so i have places to stay. i'm also big into longer layovers because it never fails plane one lands in terminal A and plane 2 takes off from terminal G and i have to marathon through the airport. 1 time, 1 time in over 40 years of travel, both planes were at neighboring gates.

--------------

now relative to this thread. i'm leaving on non stops from philly at 7 am then FLL at 1127 am. jetblue and they have cheaper bags then spirit and i do believe from my research that jetblue is a better choice than spirit anyway. i appreciate all the input and look forward to any other airport/flight advice.

i will buy princess transfers simply for the ease of it likely. but since you guys know more about this., how much would other transportation be exactly?

No need for Princess transfers - you can literally see the airport from the port. Either take a taxi or an uber. The cost for the two of you will be less than one princess transfer. Definitely do NOT use a transfer on the way to the airport after the cruise. They wait til the bus is full before leaving and that is time you don't have with an 11:30 flight. You will be assigned a time to disembark that coincides with your flight time. The taxis are plentiful at the pier.

good point about disembark. question: brings up another question. last time i did not have a flight but i requested to self disembark ,i was given a purple tag instead. went to customer service and they changed it no issue

however now that i booked through princess air do i have a better chance of them putting me on the self disembark list? would much rather do that and be assured off first to get to the plane.

just didnt know how 'strict' they are in FLL compared to NYC disembark or why they didnt give me the self the first time i requested it

They assign departure times according to the information they have on file. If you want something different then you can have it changed, as you have found out. Did this on our last cruise out of New York. No problem and only took a few minutes.

In the "You can always count on the unexpected" department ...

Last November our ship's early debarkation group could not begin until about 8:15 because the passenger manifest was off by one person. Immigration would not release the ship for debarkation until resolved. I was near a crew radio when security finally located a passenger who somehow was not scanned back onto the ship in Mexico. They called his name many times prior to departing Encinada but no joy. They checked cabins during the evening, but finally found him passed out in his cabin (solo?) shortly after 8am. The manifest was cleared and we disembarked late. Holders of early airline flights were puckered up, I am guessing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

It's real easy to figure out the earliest practical departure time. Just look at the cost. There is a significant jump in the price of flights around that time.

Since I tend to stress out easily, I find paying the higher ticket price worth the peace of mind. Since I don't really mind waiting around in airports, (I've done it all my life), I sometimes choose to fly out late. When prices come down a bit.

my guess is yes but i figured i'd ask anyway. i havent flown in 2 years and a cruise i'm looking at gets back to FLL next month on a sunday. i know the airport is close to the port

also i did self walk off in october and was back in my car by about 715

I have read several of your posts in this thread. I would suggest that you proofread them before posting them.

DON

my guess is yes but i figured i'd ask anyway. i havent flown in 2 years and a cruise i'm looking at gets back to FLL next month on a sunday. i know the airport is close to the port

also i did self walk off in october and was back in my car by about 715

May I just add that my DH and I had an unfortunate incident last Feb that caused us to have to leave the ship first before anyone else left. There were some other folks also and don’t really know why they weren’t at the appointed place at the correct time but long story short, we didn’t leave the ship til 7:45 and no one left before us!

Just pointing out that unforeseen things can happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

oh one of my cruises, they had to stop disembarking because on of the lines came loose and the ship and the gangway were moving. they had to retract the gang way, then had to realign the ship and adjust the lines. it took over an hour.

so ship happens, plan for it.

Can't believe this thread is still going on. Based on the question in the title, OF COURSE 8:30am is pushing it. No question there. End of discussion.

Oh, can you make the flight? If your ship is a 6:00am arrival, it could work, but it might not. Attempting it with a 7:00am arrival is suicide.

I think this calls for a contest.

Who can book the earliest flight & still make it. :D

My prediction is a 7:00 AM flight. ;)

I started a thread and so far no one wants to "fess up" --I mean booking the earliest flight and NOT making it

I started a thread and so far no one wants to "fess up" --I mean booking the earliest flight and NOT making it

A little different situation but I was the last person to board the other week. They came looking for me at 3:35 PM in the terminal while I downloaded some movies at the last moment. ;)

A little different situation but I was the last person to board the other week. They came looking for me at 3:35 PM in the terminal while I downloaded some movies at the last moment. ;)

Movies? Really! ;p. We had a situation a few years ago (when I was MUCH younger). We had to change planes in JFK, our flight landed at gate 1 -- literally, we had to go down steps onto the tarmak, then make our way into the terminal, our connecting flight was at gate 249. We huffed and puffed, finally got to the gate and there was NO ONE sitting there. A lady at the desk asks are you Mr and Mrs so and so, we said YES, she said , we have been waiting for you, I threw my back out, and spend the evening in Miami, laying flat on my back in bed. I couldn't do that today.

Just keep in mind there are 8 ships in Port Everglades this morning. Imagine how many passengers disembarked!

The most recent record I can find is 55,885

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-port-everglades-10-ship-roster-20170227-story.html

I wonder how the "I never have a problem getting a cab" folks fared...

Just keep in mind there are 8 ships in Port Everglades this morning. Imagine how many passengers disembarked!

The most recent record I can find is 55,885

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-port-everglades-10-ship-roster-20170227-story.html

I wonder how the "I never have a problem getting a cab" folks fared...

As the article pointed out that number is 'in and out' (disembarking and embarking) of Port Everglades on a single day but that still an incredible number of passengers. In this decade there have been many high season Saturdays and Sundays when the number surpassed 50,000. I think it is to the port's credit that they can handle them with what seems a minimum number of complaints.