Port in Bangkok

ScottToronto

Good morning.

We've booked a 11 day cruise with Silverseas for March 2010. Hong Kong to Singapore. We do an overnight in Bangkok. They just changed our port in Bangkok from Laem Chabang to Klong Tuey. Does this make any difference for us? Is one port closer to the city centre then the other?

Any suggestions while doing our overnight in Bangkok?

Many thanks,

ScottToronto

Good morning.

We've booked a 11 day cruise with Silverseas for March 2010. Hong Kong to Singapore. We do an overnight in Bangkok. They just changed our port in Bangkok from Laem Chabang to Klong Tuey. Does this make any difference for us? Is one port closer to the city centre then the other?

Many thanks,

ScottToronto

I believe they moved you to the closer port and not one two hours away.

Good morning.

Many thanks,

ScottToronto

Klong Toey is in "downtown" Bangkok. I have no idea why the cruise ships are docking there. They are trying to clean up the area (they recently built a convention center and luxury shopping area), but directly across from the entrance to the port is Klong Toey slum, one of the poorest areas in the world. The "powers that be" are trying to get the poorest of the poor out of the area. There have been protests, murders and other problems. I think it is sheer insanity for a cruise line to dock their ships there. I certainly did not feel "tourist" safe when I was there in March for business purposes. I had a car and English speaking driver for two visits to the port to check on my shipments coming out of Cambodia. I was safe but I look at the world from a different perspective than most tourists. I spend a lot of time on docks worldwide in pursuit of my business (international logistics).

http://en.dpf.or.th/node/22

http://www.bangkokcrimes.com/2009/06/06/the-battle-for-khlong-toey/

Just make sure you hire a guide or book a tour. DO NOT go wandering around by yourself hoping to find a taxi.

• 7 years later...
Klong Toey is in "downtown" Bangkok. I have no idea why the cruise ships are docking there. They are trying to clean up the area (they recently built a convention center and luxury shopping area), but directly across from the entrance to the port is Klong Toey slum, one of the poorest areas in the world. The "powers that be" are trying to get the poorest of the poor out of the area. There have been protests, murders and other problems. I think it is sheer insanity for a cruise line to dock their ships there. I certainly did not feel "tourist" safe when I was there in March for business purposes. I had a car and English speaking driver for two visits to the port to check on my shipments coming out of Cambodia. I was safe but I look at the world from a different perspective than most tourists. I spend a lot of time on docks worldwide in pursuit of my business (international logistics).

Just make sure you hire a guide or book a tour. DO NOT go wandering around by yourself hoping to find a taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have docked at Klong Toey on Silversea, Seabourn and Oceania--smaller ships--.Docking here is not a problem--shuttle buses usually run continuously to the area of the Shangri La Hotel and back. I have never had any concerns about the area of Klong Toey--I have however never walked around--because you are in a large container port area not in the middle of the "slum". Klong Toey is not in "downtown" Bangkok--it is nearby on the Chao Praya River

My wife and I have been all over Thailand 1 or 2 times a year for the last 10 years--never had any problems. Bangkok is a wonderful city.You are quite lucky not to have to journey from Laem Chabang--It can easily be 2 hours or more.

I should also mention that not all taxi drivers know this port area --so stick with the shuttle buses.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
My wife and I have docked at Klong Toey on Silversea, Seabourn and Oceania--smaller ships--.Docking here is not a problem--shuttle buses usually run continuously to the area of the Shangri La Hotel and back.

Just checking for any recent info from anyone regarding shuttle drop off location in town.

Specifically for Oceania.

Thanks.