Just off Serenade of the Seas July 9 sailing out of Stockholm-questions?

My husband and I returned home last week from our first Baltic cruise. We sailed out of Stockholm on July 9th on Serenade. We had a great time. Rubyfisch did an awesome review earlier, which I followed and thank her for. Our itinerary overnighted in St. Petersburg and included Riga (slightly different from Rubyfisch's, I think) If anyone has specific questions, I will try to answer.

No questions on Suite benefits, Concierge lounge, etc. as we are not Diamond, Diamond Plus or Pinnacle. This was our first Royal Caribbean cruise in 13 years! We enjoyed the week in an aft balcony.

Did you have Evian water bottles in your cabin?

Yes. There were two bottles for sale. We bought the water package (I think it was approximately $30.00) and there were 12 large bottles in our stateroom when we boarded. We left two unopened.

Did you see any drink cards for sale?

Never saw the drink card for sale. We did not purchase an alcoholic beverage package, just water and the coffee card. We purchased both of those before the cruise, so they would be in our cabin. I looked for the drink card every day on the compass, but never saw it. We brought two bottles of wine on board and bought a few cocktails, glasses of wine and beer. Very port intensive cruise so we decided against the beverage package, which was the right decision on this particular sailing for us.

Never saw the drink card for sale. We did not purchase an alcoholic beverage package, just water and the coffee card. We purchased both of those before the cruise, so they would be in our cabin. I looked for the drink card every day on the compass, but never saw it. We brought two bottles of wine on board and bought a few cocktails, glasses of wine and beer. Very port intensive cruise so we decided against the beverage package, which was the right decision on this particular sailing for us.

Thanks.

Did you use the internet on board? If so, how was it?

Absolutely used it, checking on pets and we are business owners so needed to make sure all was well with business. We bought the package prior to boarding. When we checked in, they gave us our password. We took a picture of it with our camera (or phone) just in case we lost the card. Very flimsy paper card, very small so easy to lose. No problems getting on line. All we did was check emails and internet browse. The only problem was we had to keep logging in with password, and I kept forgetting the password. Since it is a flat rate and not per hour, I wish they didn't require you to continually log in! We bought the package for one device only and used our iPad.

If you stayed in Stockholm pre-cruise any info on hotels is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We stayed at the Grand Hotel and loved it, one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. We stayed post cruise, not pre, and booked a spa package prior to embarking. They picked us up at airport, we had a fabulous breakfast, and enjoyed a Swedish massage. You could also enjoy the sauna, and swimming pool. Afterwards, they transferred us to the cruise ship. They even bought two bottles of wine for us to carry onboard, as we arrived on Sunday and the state run liquor stores are closed in Sweden on Sundays.

After the cruise, we spent one night there. Beautiful room, great bar and restaurants. Friendly, professional staff who could not do enough for you!

Hello: I booked next year, same cruise but on the Brilliance of the Seas. I also booked an aft balcony. What balcony did you book? Did you do a private excursion in Saint Petersburg? Any advise on port areas is greatly appreciated. Along with ship excursion recommendations. Thanks for posting. :D

Thank you for sharing. Do you mind sharing your port experiences including any excursions you might have purchased.

We did not book any excursions with the cruise line, only the shuttle into Helsinki, otherwise quite a long walk (although I did see passengers walking!)

Helsinki-beautiful city and sunny weather! We booked the "panoramic Helsinki" bus tour that Rick Steves recommended. Only 1 stop, the Rock Church, and lots of drive bys. 20 minutes to visit the church. We were there on a Monday so many sights were closed. We ate at Market Square, shopped on the Esplanade and had a nice day. The bus tour was nice, I wish the driver had stopped at more sights so we could take better pictures. We were afraid if we took the hop on hop off, we might waste too much valuable time waiting for a bus.

St. Petersburg- private tour guide recommended by Rick Steves. Natalya German-Tsarkova with Tzar Travel. Where do I begin? We had two fabulous days with her and Derrick, her driver. My husband walks with a cane, so she arranged the days for us to see as much as we could, within reason. Golf cart tour of the fountains at Peterhof, early entry at Catherine's Palace, walking on the beach approaching Peter and Paul fortress with Russian jets flying overhead, great meals, private tour of the Diamond Room at the Hermitage, and plenty of time to shop. We went to Church on the Spilled Blood at 6pm, all the crowds were gone, and enjoyed Swan Lake at a small, intimate theater with stunning costumes and sets. Very talented dancers and the highlight of our Russian visit! We saw other things as well, including riding the Metro. I didn't see as much of the Hermitage as I would have liked, but the port was so busy. 9 cruise ships in on the first day-I can't describe how busy some of these sights were.

Tallin- private tour with Mati Rumessen. He met us at the port, we did a walking and driving tour and enjoyed our day. The weather was chilly and wet, but we saw the main sights, did a little shopping, had a great day. The port was busy.

Riga- very important!! We were supposed to be in Riga from 11am until 7:00 pm. I could not believe where we docked in Riga. 45 minute complimentary shuttle to the city center, and the last bus left at 5:30. So, we arrived in Riga around noon, and left around 5. This port wasn't busy; we were disappointed we didn't have more time there. Great shopping- I bought a red hand woven wool coat with hood for $100.00. Great prices on amber there too. We walked around on our own, took a taxi to the art nouveau district (highly recommended if you like architecture), went to the art nouveau museum (skip this in my opinion), but there is a fabulous gift shop across from the museum where we bought great handmade souvenirs. There are a couple of sweet squares there with outdoor eating. Great port!

Stockholm- we spent one night there post cruise. We were disappointed with our private tour guide; he arrived late with a very small rental car (our luggage barely fit in the trunk and they were carry on bags) and although we talked about going to many places, we ended up only visiting the ABBA museum and Vasa museum-both with rushed visits! We walked around old town on our own, had some great meals, and would like to return to Stockholm soon.

Sorry this has been such a long reply!

Hello: I booked next year, same cruise but on the Brilliance of the Seas. I also booked an aft balcony. What balcony did you book? Did you do a private excursion in Saint Petersburg? Any advise on port areas is greatly appreciated. Along with ship excursion recommendations. Thanks for posting. :D

We were in 8670. Very quiet due to location. Large balcony with two chairs, small table and two chaise lounges. Small bathroom, and you couldn't open the closet door and bathroom door at the same time.

The only downside was the location to the elevators, a concern for us because my husband walks with a cane. There was one day with a lot of rain and there was some flooding out there. When the weather was nice, (sea day and sail away), the larger balcony was nice.:D

Excursions/ports were discussed in previous post.

Thank you Pattycat. This really gives me some idea of what we want to do. I do have a question regarding Helsinki. We were looking to take the 3 sights excursion listed on Royal Caribbean. But we also wanted to shop the esplanade specifically Louis Vuitton. Would you say that's a long walk. I will have my 1 year old with me in a stroller. Any guidance on how you got to the shopping area will be appreciated.

We stayed at the Grand Hotel and loved it, one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. We stayed post cruise, not pre, and booked a spa package prior to embarking. They picked us up at airport, we had a fabulous breakfast, and enjoyed a Swedish massage. You could also enjoy the sauna, and swimming pool. Afterwards, they transferred us to the cruise ship. They even bought two bottles of wine for us to carry onboard, as we arrived on Sunday and the state run liquor stores are closed in Sweden on Sundays.

After the cruise, we spent one night there. Beautiful room, great bar and restaurants. Friendly, professional staff who could not do enough for you!

Thanks for the info on the Grand Hotel. While beautiful I'm hoping for something at a little lower price point.

We are doing that cruise on the Senerade in a few weeks. How was the temperature on the ship. Did they have the heat on? Or was it freezing on the ship. I am debating on what to pack. Capris or long pants, sandles or closed toe shoes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Where on the Serenade could coffee card be used? Thank you

Thank you Pattycat. This really gives me some idea of what we want to do. I do have a question regarding Helsinki. We were looking to take the 3 sights excursion listed on Royal Caribbean. But we also wanted to shop the esplanade specifically Louis Vuitton. Would you say that's a long walk. I will have my 1 year old with me in a stroller. Any guidance on how you got to the shopping area will be appreciated.

If I am remembering correctly, is that the stops at Market Square, Rock Church, and the Monument? I don't know where you will be dropped off for Market Square, probably close to where the shuttle dropped us. The esplanade is very easy walking, wide sidewalks (no cobblestones) but is quite long. If you are dropped near to where we were dropped, probably a 10-15 minute walk. I am assuming the market square area is where you would shop the esplanade. Lots of shops! We also loved the Market Square area, so if you only have 45 minutes or so, there is a lot to see there.

Thanks for the info on the Grand Hotel. While beautiful I'm hoping for something at a little lower price point.

I understand. We prepaid (non refundable), room with no view (still beautiful room) and paid $225.00. Stockholm is expensive, so we didn't think that was a bad price. And the location was great.

We are doing that cruise on the Senerade in a few weeks. How was the temperature on the ship. Did they have the heat on? Or was it freezing on the ship. I am debating on what to pack. Capris or long pants, sandles or closed toe shoes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have to admit, I,too, could not decide what to pack. If the weather stays as it was when we were there, I would pack short sleeve tshirts, capris and/or long pants, a couple of sweaters ( I took one short sleeve sweater and two long sleeve sweaters-and yes, I did wear them), sandals and closed toe shoes (good for those rainy port days) and definitely a good rain jacket with hood.

The ship was very comfortable, not cold at all. I wore a cocktail dress at chefs table and did not need a sweater. Also wore sandals at night and was never cold. Outside was a different story. If you want to watch the movie outside or eat outside at the windjammer or Ria's, bring a sweatshirt, as it was chilly especially in the evening or at night. I wore casual short sleeve dresses at night with sandals and was very comfortable. Just pack and take a lightweight sweater just in case.

Have a great cruise. We really were impressed with the food and the friendly staff!

Where on the Serenade could coffee card be used? Thank you

As Bob stated Cafe Lattetudes. That is the only place I used it. We always left $1.00-$2.00 tip, because I didn't know if a gratuity was included in the coffee card, and the guy there was really nice. Maybe one of the experts on here will know if you can use it some place else.