canal transit -excursions

esimon

My main excitement is going through the canal - what excision would you not have wanted to miss?????

This isn't a medical or religious question is it?;p:') Looks like auto correct wasn't very helpful today:)LO L Depends a lot on what type Canal transit you are taking... is it a partial transit or a full transit? You can put shore excursions in Panama in about 3 basic categories... Canal centered... which could involve taking a partial transit of the Canal via the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut or visiting both the new expansion locks and original locks. Cultural... the big ticket here would be a visit to the Embera Indians. Historical... there is a tour that takes you to the 3 Panama Cities, this is a great summation of the history of Panama from its discovery even though it is centered around Panama City. The 3 Panama Cities are the ruins of Panama Viejo, (the 1st city), El Casco Antiguo (2nd) and of course present day Panama City. There may be other historical tours that include Ft. San Lorenzo and/or Portobelo. There are other tours that are usually offered such as a ride on the first transcontinental railroad, kayaking in Gatun Lake, the aerial tram at Gamboa and some others as well.

Of course it really comes down to what your primary interest are. However if by chance you are on partial transit cruise then I would consider the tour that takes you through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut the "can't miss" shore excursion. If you are on a full transit, then there might be other options to consider.

Well I am such a Canal aficionado the ship doesn't even have to go anywhere else! There likely stops like Cartagena, Puntarenas/Puerto Caldera CR, Puerto Quetzal Guatemala have a variety of excursions that are interesting, just what strikes your fancy. A note on Puerto Quetzal, there really is not much at the port, just about all the excursions involve a bus ride towards Guatemala City, many people opted for a tour in Antigua, the old city. Mexico usually includes a stop in Cabo and possibly one other port, however so many cruise lines are giving the west coast of Mexico a wide berth to a large degree, but it is not hard to find something of interest wherever you might stop. Your cruise could stop at another port or two that I did not mention.

Now you need to start planning your next Canal cruise that includes a stop in Panama. I am amazed at the number of Canal cruises that don't stop in Panama. IMO there are a number of ports I would gladly exchange for a stop in Panama. (end of sermon;)!)

• 3 weeks later...

In December we are on a partial on the Zuiderdam. We have decided to do a bit of Canal experience and going to the old city. An 8 hour excursion. We go to Gatan Lake then we are picked up for an old Panama City tour. Afterwards we are ferried back to Miraflores. Thought this was a little bit of both for a total experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In December we are on a partial on the Zuiderdam. We have decided to do a bit of Canal experience and going to the old city. An 8 hour excursion. We go to Gatan Lake then we are picked up for an old Panama City tour. Afterwards we are ferried back to Miraflores. Thought this was a little bit of both for a total experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tried to look up HAL's description for the tour you are describing, no luck... what puzzles me is the word "ferried" back to Miraflores. In the past there have been a couple of variations of this tour which goes by a number of names depending on the cruise line. Basically after you tender off the ship when you reach Gatun Lake, you will travel to Panama City on the Pacific side where you will see the ruins of Old Panama (Panama Viejo), then to Casco Antiguo which was where Panama City was rebuilt after a visit from Henry Morgan in the 1670s. In between modern Panama City has filled all that space in. Some tours include a stop a Miraflores Locks on the way back to Colon to meet your ship and some do not.

Just did want you to be expecting a vessel passage to or through Miraflores Locks on your tour.

I tried to look up HAL's description for the tour you are describing, no luck... what puzzles me is the word "ferried" back to Miraflores. In the past there have been a couple of variations of this tour which goes by a number of names depending on the cruise line. Basically after you tender off the ship when you reach Gatun Lake, you will travel to Panama City on the Pacific side where you will see the ruins of Old Panama (Panama Viejo), then to Casco Antiguo which was where Panama City was rebuilt after a visit from Henry Morgan in the 1670s. In between modern Panama City has filled all that space in. Some tours include a stop a Miraflores Locks on the way back to Colon to meet your ship and some do not.

Just did want you to be expecting a vessel passage to or through Miraflores Locks on your tour.

Link to the excursion I am thinking of booking, sorry I didn't get the facts all correst. Does this sound interesting?

Link to the excursion I am thinking of booking, sorry I didn't get the facts all correst. Does this sound interesting?

The link didn't make the trip. If you can just copy the meat of the narrative and paste it here. Tried to look at HAL's excursions for your sailing, just takes me to a pdf link that won't open.

Tried another approach... is this the one? Colonial Panama and Miraflores.

Air-conditioned transportation takes you 90 minutes across the Panamanian isthmus to the colonial area of Panama City.

Head up the coastline to El Casco Antiguo and learn about the piracy that was rampant here in the old days and forms an integral part of this area's history. On a leisurely 45-minute walk, appreciate the distinctive architecture here, influenced by an interesting blend of French, Spanish and Italian styles.

An extra 30 minutes of free time allows you to explore on your own in Casco Antiguo.

Continue to the Miraflores Locks -- part of the engineering marvel that makes up the Panama Canal. The Miraflores Locks Observation Center offers a close-up view ships passing through the locks. By the time you leave you will have a good understanding of the functioning of the locks.

Head back to the ship with a stop for arts and crafts shopping at Fort Amador.

Notes:

Depending on canal scheduling, you may or may not actually see vessels in the lock chambers.

It is a good tour, although I don't specifically see any mention of the ruins of Old Panama. However the route they may take would drive you through the ruins. The omission of Old Panama would not be a deal killer, but I think you would at least have a drive through. The references of head up the coast and piracy makes me think it will be included. The tour I took did not go to Miraflores, but it did include a stop for shopping! You get to see some countryside plus most people are very surprised when they see a very modern skyline of Panama City. The blend of architecture is reminiscent of the old quarter in New Orleans, although the Casco Antiguo came much earlier.

This isn't a medical or religious question is it?;p:') Looks like auto correct wasn't very helpful today:)LO L Depends a lot on what type Canal transit you are taking... is it a partial transit or a full transit? You can put shore excursions in Panama in about 3 basic categories... Canal centered... which could involve taking a partial transit of the Canal via the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut or visiting both the new expansion locks and original locks. Cultural... the big ticket here would be a visit to the Embera Indians. Historical... there is a tour that takes you to the 3 Panama Cities, this is a great summation of the history of Panama from its discovery even though it is centered around Panama City. The 3 Panama Cities are the ruins of Panama Viejo, (the 1st city), El Casco Antiguo (2nd) and of course present day Panama City. There may be other historical tours that include Ft. San Lorenzo and/or Portobelo. There are other tours that are usually offered such as a ride on the first transcontinental railroad, kayaking in Gatun Lake, the aerial tram at Gamboa and some others as well.

Of course it really comes down to what your primary interest are. However if by chance you are on partial transit cruise then I would consider the tour that takes you through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut the "can't miss" shore excursion. If you are on a full transit, then there might be other options to consider.

Great info!

Any recommendations on independent tours visiting the old and new locks?

I'm doing a partial transit with MSC.

Great info!

Any recommendations on independent tours visiting the old and new locks?

I'm doing a partial transit with MSC.

If you are doing a partial transit with MSC I am sure they will operate the same way as all the other cruise lines that offer partial transits. That is once you lock through Gatun Locks and reach the Gatun Lake anchorage only those who have shore excursions through the ship are allowed off at this point. If you don't have a ship's excursion you must remain on board for the return trip through Gatun Locks and the short sail to Colon. Colon is where all the passengers who are on shore excursions will rejoin the ship. I know a lot of folks shy away from ship's excursions, but at this stop it is the only choice.

If you were able to do a private excursion you would have to visit the new locks on the Atlantic side and go to the Pacific side to the Miraflores Locks (old locks) to see both the old and the new. The last info I have is Gatun is no longer open for public visits. However when a cruise ship is in they have been opening the Locks for the ship's excursions.

Thanks so much. I located the ship's description and pricing (ouch). I've read so many wonderful things.

The journey begins when we board the buses for a ride to either Gamboa Dredging Division Pier or Cucaracha Pier inside the Panama Canal where you will take the ferry boat that will transport you through The Panama Canal. The ferry will have suyficient space for everyone. The navigation starts through Gaylard Cut that was the most important and difficult part of the Panama Canal construction, here is where the continental divide is located. After crossing Gaylard Cut we will enter Pedro Miguel Locks on our way into Miraflores Lake. After crossing Miraflores Lake we will enter Miraflores Locks on our way to the Pacific Ocean. Centennial and America’s bridge will be seen during the adventure. Finally you will arrive at Pacific Port that is the entrance of the Panama Canal at the Pacific Ocean. Here you will take the buses back to the ship. Each passenger will receive a commemorative certificate of doing the Panama Canal Transit and contributing on the expansion of it! Please note: The transit of ships is subject to the local authorities. Transiting time depends on the traffic schedule of each day. The tour includes an approx. 1.5 hr. bus ride each way.

Yes, that certainly is one of the pricier shore excursions. If you wind up taking that tour you will have gone through a large part of the Canal and IMO the best part of the Canal. I say best part only because the Gaillard Cut is really the part of the Canal that presented the biggest challenges to the builders... so much history there. You also get to experience the Pacific Locks and sail under two pretty neat bridges. While you are in the Pacific entrance you have a stunning view of Panama City's skyline. Another advantage of that excursion is you will be able to experience locking up at Gatun Locks on your large Panamax vessel and then be able to contrast that with locking through the Pacific Locks on the smaller "ferry." While you are your ship in the morning at Gatun, the ship will somewhat overwhelm the locks, whereas at the Pacific Locks the reverse will be true.

One last thing to ponder... the trip in and out of Gatun Locks only involves about 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal and you see the same part both coming and going. It is almost like going to the movies and just watch the preview and not the main feature. Although combining your morning transit on your ship and the ferry won't exactly be a full transit, it does taking some of most important parts of the Canal.

Afterthought edit: This tour often runs in the reverse order, really makes no difference as it is equally enjoyable either way.

Now you need to start planning your next Canal cruise that includes a stop in Panama. I am amazed at the number of Canal cruises that don't stop in Panama. IMO there are a number of ports I would gladly exchange for a stop in Panama. (end of sermon;)!)

We're transiting the Canal on the Celebrity Infinity this spring. Since we're going all the way through, do we really need to do any other canal excursions (for example Gatun Locks) when we stop in Colon? If not we're going to take the opportunity to visit the Embera village. Thank you for any advice! This is a bucket list item for us and don't want to miss out!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're transiting the Canal on the Celebrity Infinity this spring. Since we're going all the way through, do we really need to do any other canal excursions (for example Gatun Locks) when we stop in Colon? If not we're going to take the opportunity to visit the Embera village. Thank you for any advice! This is a bucket list item for us and don't want to miss out!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

t

More than likely they will have tours that will take you to the new Agua Clara Locks as well as the original Gatun Locks. Possibly this would give you another perspective of the locks from shoreside. Note as far as I know Gatun Locks is no longer open to the public, they have been opening it when there is a cruise ship in port. I have no idea if they will continue to do this in the future. There are also tours that will take you to the ruins of the old Spanish fort at Ft. San Lorenzo and the ruins of the Spanish forts at Portobelo.

Another popular tour is one that takes you to the Pacific side and tour various parts of Panama City. Usually most people are very surprised when they first see Panama City. There is also the aerial tram at Gamboa which takes you through the jungle canopy. There are a number of good tours depending on your interests.

There is absolutely nothing for you to do at Colon except peruse the mall that is connected to the pier. It is not a place for you to go out and soak up the local color. Anything worth seeing is somewhere else besides Colon.