Water Island

Mljjdj

Mmmmm that article - and subsequent research, looking at FB and other sites - would seem to contradict what RC are stating regarding St Thomas.......

We are also partnering with the USVI government to restore Magen’s Bay, one of St. Thomas’ most popular tourist attractions. The beach will have its pre-opening coinciding with Adventure’s arrival on November 10. Magen’s Bay will be joined by Secret Sands Beach, Secret Harbor Beach Club, Lindquist Beach, Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, and Abi Beach – all open for guests to enjoy.

We were thinking of visiting Water Island on our cruise next month, having read the above update from RC, but it seems as if the beach bars on Honeymoon Beach have both been destroyed. Does anyone have any recent info?

I think I can answer my own question (above). On checking my cruise planner it seems that all the beaches mentioned are visited by various RC excursions in St Thomas. So, as far as RC are concerned those beaches are 'open' for those excursions. But for those, like myself, who wanted to visit independently the local beach bars are closed.

I emailed the Water Island Civic Association website. Below is the question along with the response:

We will be visiting St Thomas via cruise in mid December. We very much want to see Water Island but do not want to interfere with any recovery efforts. Would Water Island be able to have tourists at Honeymoon Beach and to explore (rent golf cart) the island by mid December. Again while we would very much like to visit the island we do not want to create a more difficult situation for the recovery.

Any information you can provide is appreciated.

Yes, Honeymoon Beach on Water Island should be ready for visitors by mid December. We do know the Governor is planning on having cruise ship passengers be able to visit Water Island by the middle of November.

I am unsure about the golf cart rental availability. You might want to check with Rachael Ackley, who operates the golf cart rental, at 340-514-1483.

Best Wishes,

Jim Wilkinson

Re: Water Island’s recovery - The first electrical linemen arrived on Water Island this week. Traveling on island is difficult due to downed wires. Opinions vary on exactly when power will be restored with early estimates of three to four weeks. Ferry is operating only on a partial schedule for residents and relief workers. Roads on island (which were never particularly good) have suffered washouts and some are still nearly impassible. Island recovery will be slow. Beach recovery may be quicker. One suggestion would be to check back closer to your date of arrival for a better update.

We are going in Dec. and staying close to town. I would not believe a lot of what you read right now. They are trying to get passengers back on the island as fast a possible. I would bet that the beaches will have tents up instead of buildings for food service and other things. The roads are a big problem right now and getting to these areas . It is going to take more than a couple of months to get things half way decent again. Check on "You Tube" !

We are going in Dec. and staying close to town. I would not believe a lot of what you read right now. They are trying to get passengers back on the island as fast a possible. I would bet that the beaches will have tents up instead of buildings for food service and other things. The roads are a big problem right now and getting to these areas . It is going to take more than a couple of months to get things half way decent again. Check on "You Tube" !

We'll be right there with you! I remember how bad the roads were during a heavy rain on the way back to the ship a few years ago. Can't imagine doing this now.