So, I did it ...

ArtsyCraftsy

Booked my first cruise with Regent:

Serene Sunsets

28 nights -- September 12 - October 10, 2018

Vancouver --> Miami via Alaska and the Panama Canal

on the Seven Seas Mariner

Deposit is paid, cabin is reserved, added it to my calendar.

(Now, gotta go cancel the Oceania cruise ... ) :D

Lana in Bellingham, WA

First, congratulations Lana on booking your first Regent cruise (and cancelling your Oceania cruise). Great decision. Second, we are neighbors - we live in Bellingham, WA as well!

So happy that you will be joining the Regent family!

Jackie

First, congratulations Lana on booking your first Regent cruise (and cancelling your Oceania cruise). Great decision. Second, we are neighbors - we live in Bellingham, WA as well!

So happy that you will be joining the Regent family!

Jackie

Thanks, Jackie! What pushed it over the edge for me was the cost of the add-ons with Oceania that are included in the Regent fare.

I had a great chat with the Regent rep -- he really listened and we chose a cabin that should work great (near the aft elevators, on the port side, on deck 9, so not directly below a restaurant).

The ONLY worry for me is the scheduling. I'll be finishing Holland America's 38-day "Voyage of the Vikings" on August 25, getting back to B'ham on the 26th. Seventeen days later, I board the Mariner in Vancouver. I'll need to do some juggling of clothes from north Atlantic/Iceland/etc. wardrobe to stuff that will work for Panama Canal + Alaska -- I'll figure it out.

Later ....

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Good on you.

I’m still thinking about it.

As a non drinker who hasn’t done organised tours for years, I’m still on the fence.

We don't drink ourselfs and the tours aren't that important to us. Like you we preferred doing tours alone. However we enjoyed the first tour we took. I think you'll find pluses on Regent. The service staff is really high on the list. I think the food is better than "O", theater so much better. That said has much as we're liking Regent we're not giving up "O", they have a place in our lifes. We have 2 more bookings on Regent and 1 on "O". We're looking to book one more booking we want, but not sure which line yet. When you think about reply, remember this is our first cruise on Regent and it's only a few days on the ship for us. Rick

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

The ONLY worry for me is the scheduling. I'll be finishing Holland America's 38-day "Voyage of the Vikings" on August 25, getting back to B'ham on the 26th. Seventeen days later, I board the Mariner in Vancouver.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Are you Bragging or Complaining? :D:D:D

I hope Regent is as rewarding an experience as it has been for most of us...

Bob

MIK MIAB

We don't drink ourselfs and the tours aren't that important to us. Like you we preferred doing tours alone. However we enjoyed the first tour we took. I think you'll find pluses on Regent. The service staff is really high on the list. I think the food is better than "O", theater so much better. That said has much as we're liking Regent we're not giving up "O", they have a place in our lifes. We have 2 more bookings on Regent and 1 on "O". We're looking to book one more booking we want, but not sure which line yet. When you think about reply, remember this is our first cruise on Regent and it's only a few days on the ship for us. Rick

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thank you, certainly haven’t ruled it out at this stage.

Booked my first cruise with Regent:

Serene Sunsets

28 nights -- September 12 - October 10, 2018

Vancouver --> Miami via Alaska and the Panama Canal

on the Seven Seas Mariner

Deposit is paid, cabin is reserved, added it to my calendar.

(Now, gotta go cancel the Oceania cruise ... ) :D

Lana in Bellingham, WA

I've got to give you credit for pulling the trigger. DW and I have been on about seventy cruises on various lines over the years. We have considerable status on several of them, particularly Celebrity. We have been on Christmas cruises for the last five or so years and have actually booked a December 2018 cruise, far in advance of what we normally do. Celebrity prices have become outrageous. This year I noticed a Seabourn fourteen day cruise which would have made a perfect back to back with our X trip. DW touted me off it for several reasons, some good, some silly. But I now am thinking that if Seabourn/Regent/Crystal have good prices close to departure day in 2018, maybe it makes sense to follow your lead and cancel Celebrity and hope for the best with another line.. We have booked our first Regent cruise for February 2018 in a more modest cabin, as we don't want to break the bank on a new line. Already she is concerned that on Celebrity we have a butler, drinks, WiFi, laundry etc. etc. Why try Regent? We'll see. Our good friends love Regent, so we'll give it a try. I hope you have a great trip, and I hope we do, too. Now if I could just cancel that 2018 Christmas trip, but I think I'll wait until March to do it.

I've got to give you credit for pulling the trigger. DW and I have been on about seventy cruises on various lines over the years. We have considerable status on several of them, particularly Celebrity. We have been on Christmas cruises for the last five or so years and have actually booked a December 2018 cruise, far in advance of what we normally do. Celebrity prices have become outrageous. This year I noticed a Seabourn fourteen day cruise which would have made a perfect back to back with our X trip. DW touted me off it for several reasons, some good, some silly. But I now am thinking that if Seabourn/Regent/Crystal have good prices close to departure day in 2018, maybe it makes sense to follow your lead and cancel Celebrity and hope for the best with another line.. We have booked our first Regent cruise for February 2018 in a more modest cabin, as we don't want to break the bank on a new line. Already she is concerned that on Celebrity we have a butler, drinks, WiFi, laundry etc. etc. Why try Regent? We'll see. Our good friends love Regent, so we'll give it a try. I hope you have a great trip, and I hope we do, too. Now if I could just cancel that 2018 Christmas trip, but I think I'll wait until March to do it.

I hear you -- I was a little nervous about booking such a long trip on a new-to-me cruise line. My first cruise this past September was only 14 days on Holland America's Amsterdam -- I figured that was enough time to get a feel for cruise travel without investing too much in the experience. I suspected I would like it, and so I did. Enough so that I booked the 38-day north Atlantic cruise for next summer on her sister ship (Rotterdam).

I'm making up for lost time here -- I waited a long time after retirement to start cruising due to a combination of other priorities and some health issues. I figure I won't be able to do this forever, so I want to do as much as I can while I still have the time and means to do so. There are a lot of great options out there, so for me, it's really a matter of figuring out what I want/need from the experience. My priorities are coming into focus the more I reflect on my first cruise experience -- what I liked/didn't like -- and then explore the options and think about it: small ship size, extraordinary cuisine, superb service, interesting itineraries. After that, it's a matter of "bang for the buck," taking into account inclusives vs extras. That's what has led me to Regent. So we'll see how it goes next year.

Here's hoping your Feb 2018 Regent trip is all you hope it will be. :)

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Unlike some mainstream cruise lines, prices do not drop when the sailing date nears on Regent, Crystal, Seabourn or Silversea.

On Regent, they offer customers on the sailing before or after the cruise that is not selling well a discount to extend their cruise. In many cases, it seems that they would rather sail with a few available suites than discount their cruises.

Having said that some cruises do go down in price a bit several months before a cruise. Rather than discounting prices, many itineraries increase in price every three months.

Unlike some mainstream cruise lines, prices do not drop when the sailing date nears on Regent, Crystal, Seabourn or Silversea.

On Regent, they offer customers on the sailing before or after the cruise that is not selling well a discount to extend their cruise. In many cases, it seems that they would rather sail with a few available suites than discount their cruises.

Having said that some cruises do go down in price a bit several months before a cruise. Rather than discounting prices, many itineraries increase in price every three months.

Understood. I book based on whether or not I feel the price at the time I book is worth it for the itinerary/services/etc. If the price were to go down it would be a lucky plus, but not expected. Do they ever offer "upsells" for empty higher-level cabins at a reduced rate?

I did come up against a rather pricey "add on" today: I asked about the cost of Travel Protection insurance. The price quoted for the 28-day Regent cruise is 2.5 times what I'm paying for trip protection/cancellation insurance for my 38-day Holland America cruise for nearly identical coverage. Gotta think about that. I checked my credit card travel coverage and the max they'll pay doesn't come close to the cost of the trip. So I may just bite the bullet and do it. I still have time to consider -- final payment isn't due until April 15, 2018.

(Been perusing Youtube videos of Seven Seas Mariner suites, dining venues, etc. Looks great!)

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Lana,

Consider using an insurance agent or price tool site to compare insurance coverage vs buying Regent coverage.

You may get more bang for your buck.

Also if you want "cancel for any reason" policies those typically must be bought within 7-14 days (depending on plan) of the initial deposit date - not final payment.

Hope you enjoy your Regent cruise immensely.

And yes - RSSC does offer upsells.

It is helpful to register your interest with your agent such that they can accept /reject immediately based on your parameters versus the time delay of contacting you and receiving a real time reply.

Those upsells can go quickly.

Edited by ededmd
Addtl info

Lana,

Consider using an insurance agent or price tool site to compare insurance coverage vs buying Regent coverage.

You may get more bang for your buck.

Also if you want "cancel for any reason" policies those typically must be bought within 7-14 days (depending on plan) of the initial deposit date - not final payment.

Hope you enjoy your Regent cruise immensely.

And yes - RSSC does offer upsells.

It is helpful to register your interest with your agent such that they can accept /reject immediately based on your parameters versus the time delay of contacting you and receiving a real time reply.

Those upsells can go quickly.

Great advice! Thanks so much. I'll get on the insurance question first thing tomorrow.

Great advice! Thanks so much. I'll get on the insurance question first thing tomorrow.

And remember that many insurers forgive the medical look back if the policy is purchased within a certain time frame after booking the cruise. I hope in your case that is not a concern, but it is good to know.

So I did some insurance research this morning using two different online price comparison tools as well as talking to an agent. Regent's plan will pay 100% of the fare but only for certain cancellation reasons (it's not "for any reason") -- anything medical requires a doctor's statement, etc. I have a pre-existing condition (a couple of them in fact) that are well-controlled via meds, but I also carry extra medical travel insurance just in case something goes haywire, so I think I'm OK there regardless of Regent's policy's pre-existing condition exclusions. The cost of the Regent policy is super high.

I found a policy that will pay 50% of the fare if I cancel for any reason at all as long as I cancel at least 48 hrs pre-departure. It also has the same (or similar) other coverages, and costs $4000 less than Regent's.

And I found yet another policy that will cover 75% of the fare if I cancel for any reason at all up to the day of departure, has the same or similar coverages as Regent's, but I'd save only about $200 on the premium.

So the question is: how likely am I to have to cancel for any reason other than those covered by the Regent policy (probably not likely at all -- if I had to cancel, it would be due to illness or a catastrophic natural event), and is it worth saving $4000 to get only 50% of the fare refunded if I DO have to cancel for one of the non-covered reasons? I have about 10 days to figure out the answers. (Did I mention that I like going places, but hate the "process" of travel? This kind of stuff just wears me out ... )

Lana in Bellingham, WA

So I did some insurance research this morning using two different online price comparison tools as well as talking to an agent. Regent's plan will pay 100% of the fare but only for certain cancellation reasons (it's not "for any reason") -- anything medical requires a doctor's statement, etc. I have a pre-existing condition (a couple of them in fact) that are well-controlled via meds, but I also carry extra medical travel insurance just in case something goes haywire, so I think I'm OK there regardless of Regent's policy's pre-existing condition exclusions. The cost of the Regent policy is super high.

I found a policy that will pay 50% of the fare if I cancel for any reason at all as long as I cancel at least 48 hrs pre-departure. It also has the same (or similar) other coverages, and costs $4000 less than Regent's.

And I found yet another policy that will cover 75% of the fare if I cancel for any reason at all up to the day of departure, has the same or similar coverages as Regent's, but I'd save only about $200 on the premium.

So the question is: how likely am I to have to cancel for any reason other than those covered by the Regent policy (probably not likely at all -- if I had to cancel, it would be due to illness or a catastrophic natural event), and is it worth saving $4000 to get only 50% of the fare refunded if I DO have to cancel for one of the non-covered reasons? I have about 10 days to figure out the answers. (Did I mention that I like going places, but hate the "process" of travel? This kind of stuff just wears me out ... )

Lana in Bellingham, WA

You really need to talk to Steve or one of his great staff members at

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

1-888-407-3854 (toll free US & Canada)

1-816-282-6858 (local)

Mon - Fri: 8:30 am - 7 pm ET

Saturday: 11 am - 4 pm ET

Sunday: 2 - 4 pm ET

We'll call you back if we miss your call

Great people and you don't pay more than what you would going direct and they can steer you in the right direction regarding pre-existing conditions as that is a complex issue.

For sure Regent insurance is ultra expensive and from past reports, great for people who are extremely elderly whle other insurance is based on your current age. To cover pre-existing conditions, only have 10 to 14 days after initial payment so chack with Steve or his staff and they will provide you the insiurance you need. They work only with vetted companies which is important.

Dave, thanks for sharing your travel insurance recommendation--we absolutely concur.. We use tripinsurancestore.com for our annual travel insurance.

btw..hope Paige and u r continuing to enjoy your Seabourn Antarctica voyage.

Thanks for the concurrence Wes. Absolutely loving seabourn which is heads and shoulders over all the other luxury cruise lines.

Just left Buenas Aires and heading south for Falklands and Antarctica. Got to ask the pros for insurance info and trip insurance store employes only the pros. They will provide accurate information herein their customers the absolute best bang for the buck. Insurance isn’t simple and the wrong choice can cost One thousands and possibly end with no reimbursement.

Buying from a cruise line with only a single choice is an expensive recipe for overspending and possible problems should the insurance need to be claimed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You really need to talk to Steve or one of his great staff members at

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

1-888-407-3854 (toll free US & Canada)

1-816-282-6858 (local)

Mon - Fri: 8:30 am - 7 pm ET

Saturday: 11 am - 4 pm ET

Sunday: 2 - 4 pm ET

We'll call you back if we miss your call

Great people and you don't pay more than what you would going direct and they can steer you in the right direction regarding pre-existing conditions as that is a complex issue.

For sure Regent insurance is ultra expensive and from past reports, great for people who are extremely elderly whle other insurance is based on your current age. To cover pre-existing conditions, only have 10 to 14 days after initial payment so chack with Steve or his staff and they will provide you the insiurance you need. They work only with vetted companies which is important.

Thanks -- will contact them tomorrow. I'll get this sorted out, for sure ...

Just got off the phone with Steve of TripInsuranceStore -- great guy, he's putting together some things for me for this trip as well as the Holland America Voyage of the Vikings next summer. Very knowledgable, he was able to explain a few things that were more than a little unclear from reading the various websites/brochures/etc. Thanks for the recommendation!

ArtsyCraftsy. Very happy that you started this thread. A lot of information that you secured via input from others and your own research will be very helpful to those of us that have not cruised with Regent yet.

I went to the TripInsuranceStore and checked some potential dates and liked the ability to compare the 9 different plans that was offered.

I hope that you keep us posted on your progress with your upcoming Regent cruise and especially reporting on your actual cruise when it occurs.

ArtsyCraftsy. Very happy that you started this thread. A lot of information that you secured via input from others and your own research will be very helpful to those of us that have not cruised with Regent yet.

I went to the TripInsuranceStore and checked some potential dates and liked the ability to compare the 9 different plans that was offered.

I hope that you keep us posted on your progress with your upcoming Regent cruise and especially reporting on your actual cruise when it occurs.

I promise to do just that. I've learned so much from interactions here on CC that I feel it's only right that I offer whatever I can, however insignificant it may be, in return. I'm just another "newbie" to cruising, although I'm getting more knowledge and experience as time goes on.

The more I read and hear about Regent, the more confident I am that it's a good "fit" for me. I'm not shy about expressing my opinions -- good or bad. So far, all interactions I've had in connection with this trip have been outstanding. If that changes, you'll hear about it. I'm just thankful that this resource exists. It was a huge benefit for my first cruise (September 2017).

Just wanted to follow up:

I received quotes from Steve at TravelInsuranceStore last evening and ended up going with his recommendations for both of my 2018 trips.

Bottom line: I saved over $5,000 across both trips, the bulk of that on the Regent quote. Purchased everything online, and I'm set to go. I did spend some time doing a comparison of coverages between the cruise lines' policies and the Travelex policies, and found no downsides at all.

So a huge thanks to rallydave and WesW for the recommendation! I'm sending Steve the info for my 2019 cruises this evening and I'll see what he can do with those.