Currency in the Caribbean

the2ofus

I know that you can buy almost anything on any of the islands with a credit card and most of my purchases will be done that way. However, for small purchases or tips, it would be nice to have local currency. Also, it is fun to keep a few coins for souvenirs. Will it be available on the ship for those ports where local currency is used?

I know that you can buy almost anything on any of the islands with a credit card and most of my purchases will be done that way. However, for small purchases or tips, it would be nice to have local currency. Also, it is fun to keep a few coins for souvenirs. Will it be available on the ship for those ports where local currency is used?

On the upcoming Viking Sun World Cruise the ship is not carrying currency of the countries we will visit so I suspect the same for the various Caribbean countries. In all honesty, I can't remember seeing any local currency in the BVI, or USVI or ABC islands for that matter. All seemed to use US $. French West Indies used US $ or Euros depending on the place. Hope this helps.:cool:

Can't speak about this situation but I can tell you that on the Viking Homelands cruise there were 6 different currencies involved and no exchanges were done on the ship. We made arrangements with our local bank to handle local incidentals for various locations before we left home.

Can't speak about this situation but I can tell you that on the Viking Homelands cruise there were 6 different currencies involved and no exchanges were done on the ship. We made arrangements with our local bank to handle local incidentals for various locations before we left home.

Viking does not do currency exchange on any of its cruises. Your choices are to bring it from home or to visit the ATM as you land. Personally, I prefer using the ATM for exchange because the overall ding on exchange rates and fees in better.

While we are at it, I wish that the tour prices included tips for the guide and driver and then we wouldn't have to worry so much about having the right currency or the right change. I also wish that they would include change for the toilets where necessary--and making sure that the guides have plenty of change to hand out. ATM machines dispense bills, not coins and breaking a bill can be difficult.

I'll check the itinerary, but I'm thinking Guadaloupe and St. Kitts have local currency. Doubtful our small town bank will be able to provide small amounts of currency for those. Maybe some folks who have been on this itinerary will weigh in as to their experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from cruise on Viking Sky to the western Caribbean. We took US dollar bills to use for tipping and small purchases. Merchants will quote you a price. Make sure you ask if that is pesos or American dollars. Had no problems.

Guest services on the ship can give you change for American money. We were able to change our $20 bill for $1bills so we had more money for tipping.