NCL Platinum Benefits Questions

Sailor1959

Ahoy Mates !!!

One of the bennies of Platinum members are a couple of free meals in optional restaurants.

If we select a "Guaranteed" cabin (no included bennies like OBC, etc.) would we forfeit the standard Platinum bennies ?

TIA

Sailor-1959

Ahoy Mates !!! One of the bennies of Platinum members are a couple of free meals in optional restaurants. If we select a "Guaranteed" cabin (no included bennies like OBC, etc.) would we forfeit the standard Platinum bennies ? TIA

No forfeiture. Enjoy your two free dinners (one with wine), bag of laundry (each), and behind the scenes tour,,, along with various discounts.

When you first check into your cabin no matter what type you should find on the small desk an envelope

with all the Platinum bennies enclosed. Read it over and see what you can do for free.

One thing if you are planning a tour of the ship - Behind the Scenes Tour (BST) you (must) should check

in with the Shore Excursion or Next Cruise people ASAP to arrange it - capacity is limited !

If you have the SDP dining package and have not made reservations - plan how you are going to mix

that with your free Platinum dinners.

Laundry is usually on cruises of 6 days or more but ignore that - the Platinum Laundry free be is something

to look into - check with your cabin steward for when you can use it.

Oh so much free be stuff and you earned it by your frequent loyalty - did you notice the bottle of bubbly in

the champagne bucket next to the desk ? If it is not included check later for the invitation to the cocktail party.

When you first check into your cabin no matter what type you should find on the small desk an envelope with all the Platinum bennies enclosed. Read it over and see what you can do for free
If you have the SDP dining package and have not made reservations - plan how you are going to mix that with your free Platinum dinners

That sounds like it could be confusing. :eek:

When we dine... how do we communicate to dining room staff which one we'll be using that evening ?

Oh so much free be stuff and you earned it by your frequent loyalty - did you notice the bottle of bubbly in the champagne bucket next to the desk ? If it is not included check later for the invitation to the cocktail party.
I believe every category receives a bottle of sparking wine per cabin.

We did as Gold members.. but not in a champagne-bucket.

We tossed the bottle in our fridge and took it to dinner with us..

Do Platinum and above members... receive something different ?.

Sailor-1959

That sounds like it could be confusing. :eek:

When we dine... how do we communicate to dining room staff which one we'll be using that evening ?

Just let the Host/Hostess know when they are seating you. I always bring the voucher for the Platinum dinner with me and give it to the Hostess/Host.

Just wanted to add make sure if you do the Behind the Scenes tour, to wear closed toe shoes. I didn't have any and had to go to the gift shop and purchase a pair of Crocs.

Excellent Advice JDVMD !!!

BTW:

Approximately... how long (minutes) is the tour ?

Sailor-1959

BTW:

Sailor-1959

I want to say they said it would last 1.5-2 hours but ours went on and on. Probably because I was asking questions. It was more than 2.5 for us.

I want to say they said it would last 1.5-2 hours but ours went on and on. Probably because I was asking questions. It was more than 2.5 for us.

ROFLMAO !!!! :rolleyes:

Questions like: Does the crew sleep aboard the ship ?

Did you get any dirty looks from fellow tour attendees ?

Actually... the staff enjoys answering questions about their jobs.

ROFLMAO !!!! :rolleyes:

Questions like: Does the crew sleep aboard the ship ?

Did you get any dirty looks from fellow tour attendees ?

Actually... the staff enjoys answering questions about their jobs.

No, the only one who wasn’t happy was my teen son because he was hungry.

BTW:

Sailor-1959

Unless I missed it What ship are you on ?

The SUN STAR and DAWN tours are 1.5 to 2 hours long - usually starting with the Laundry Room (clean-up

your act before touring further) then to I95 (named after the East Coast main interstate highway) the main crew

thru-way below the passenger occupied decks. See the crew mess (cafeteria) and what goes on in the bellows

of the ship. From there varies with a visit to the main galley usually centered between the two MDRs and finally

the back stage of the theatre seeing all the lighting costumes and dressing rooms that are actually the stairs

between decks. AND the all important question the "BRIDGE" forget it not going to happen due to terrorists

on the high seas restricting all that NCL Fun. Seriously "don't ask" and I have already let the cat out of the bag

"don't tell" !

This Platinum BST is free and from what I have been told is just slightly less encompassing than the tour offered

for about $80 to non-platinum guests.

Remember to sign up for it when you first get on board - limited capacity !

If however you are too late and there are no openings talk with the

Next Cruise Shore Excursion people if they don't sell out the Paid tours they maybe able to fit you in !

These tours are taken on Sea Days.

As noted proper footwear must be worn - you are climbing steep stairways on lower decks and some of

these are metal grating like peeling a potato.

Don't forget to bring your camera along - photos are welcomed everywhere UNLESS the guide says otherwise !

AND don't forget to ask those silly questions that are so amusing - Crew: I had a tour today and you won't

believe what one of those guests asked - really I can't mention it here it was RODLMAO* but the cruise director

will not have a lack of material at his next show.

* RODLMAO - notice the D instead of the F - D is for deck instead of the F for floor !

When you are in the theatre enjoying the show - think how all those entertainers change clothes in the space

less than Superman's telephone booth !

Enjoy the tour and show - - - !

Unless I missed it What ship are you on ?

NCL's STAR;

April 8th 2018;

San Pedro-CA to Miami;

14-Day Panamanian Cruise

It'll be our first on the STAR which I heard isn't such a STAR.

It didn't start that way' date=' but now my favorite (so far) is the [b']SUN[/b].

Such a small vessel I can get from one point to another quickly and conveniently.

Thanks for your super-duper description below, I'll take it with us:

The SUN STAR and DAWN tours are 1.5 to 2 hours long - usually starting with the Laundry Room (clean-up

your act before touring further) then to I95 (named after the East Coast main interstate highway) the main crew

thru-way below the passenger occupied decks. See the crew mess (cafeteria) and what goes on in the bellows

of the ship. From there varies with a visit to the main galley usually centered between the two MDRs and finally

the back stage of the theatre seeing all the lighting costumes and dressing rooms that are actually the stairs

between decks. AND the all important question the "BRIDGE" forget it not going to happen due to terrorists

on the high seas restricting all that NCL Fun. Seriously "don't ask" and I have already let the cat out of the bag

"don't tell" !

This Platinum BST is free and from what I have been told is just slightly less encompassing than the tour offered

for about $80 to non-platinum guests.

Remember to sign up for it when you first get on board - limited capacity !

If however you are too late and there are no openings talk with the

Next Cruise Shore Excursion people if they don't sell out the Paid tours they maybe able to fit you in !

These tours are taken on Sea Days.

As noted proper footwear must be worn - you are climbing steep stairways on lower decks and some of

Don't forget to bring your camera along - photos are welcomed everywhere UNLESS the guide says otherwise !

AND don't forget to ask those silly questions that are so amusing - Crew: I had a tour today and you won't

believe what one of those guests asked - really I can't mention it here it was RODLMAO* but the cruise director

will not have a lack of material at his next show.

* RODLMAO - notice the D instead of the F - D is for deck instead of the F for floor !

When you are in the theatre enjoying the show - think how all those entertainers change clothes in the space

less than Superman's telephone booth !

Enjoy the tour and show - - - !

Edited by Sailor1959
Spelling

Unless I missed it

- !

I was going to sign up for the tour first thing after boarding Gem in December but after reading this I know we'have to skip this. My husband will not be able to claim the stairs because of his recent leg injury.

I read quite a few reviews of the tour but somehow no one mentioned this. Thank you.

Great information, thanks everyone!

We made Platinum level after our cruise earlier this year so our upcoming cruise on the Bliss next year we will get to experience all of these Platinum benefits for the first time. I will definitely make sure to book the Behind the Scenes Tour as soon as I get onboard. And we have the 3 night SDP and now with 2 additional nights dinners for Platinum that is really nice that 5 of the 7 nights will be specialty dining! Also, with this being our first time on a mega ship with a lot more people I think we will enjoy the priority embarkation too! :)

I was going to sign up for the tour first thing after boarding Gem in December but after reading this I know we'have to skip this. My husband will not be able to claim the stairs because of his recent leg injury.

I read quite a few reviews of the tour but somehow no one mentioned this. Thank you.

We also used the crew elevators. I would speak to the desk when you sign up.

We also used the crew elevators. I would speak to the desk when you sign up.
I concur, we're on the Gem earlier this year doing the P-BTS tour, it was shorter than the one on the Breakaway, lasted just over 1 hour with 3 stops, first being the theater/backstage ... staircase up to the small changing room, which one can opt to skip, if that's an accessible issue (we had 2 or 3 in the tour ...)

They took the crew elevators next down to the Fwd Laundry area, where the rest of us walked down the stairs - it's not bad, all the stairs are made out of metal/aluminum ... not wooden plank. Then, it's straight but long walk down I-95 into the main gallery area, no further climbing. That was it and upon finishing up, we came back up one deck ... or, maybe it was two (via the stairs) onto Deck 7, near but behind Guest Services via crew access.

Definitely no flip-flops and/or open toes, etc. for safety reasons, high heels - IMO - not recommended.

Definitely speak to the CruiseNext staff about booking it & asked about special needs, don't just assume & "waive" the tour just because :halo:

Happy sailing the Gem next month, take good care of that ship - we are booked on her again next Spring.

sailor, we are on that cruise as well! Love the Star! this will be our 3rd time on her.

Ahhhh... yes, Boston-Strong.

I thought your handle sounded familiar.

Were you the one who complained about the high airfares from Miami to the N.E. ??? ;)

It's reassuring to hear you love the Star.

Some weren't impressed with her.

I guess: Different Strokes for Different Folks.

We're reasonable easy so we'll probably like her too.... Hope So !!!

Sailor-1959