Planned 1st cruise, Husband had heart attack-Trip insurance woes

Florida Glamazon

Hello wonderful Cruise Critic friends! My husband and I are set up a Carnival cruise in April for our 6th anniversary. I booked it in October, then booked travel insurance about 3 days later.

My husband had a heart attack in mid-November. he is doing okay, and thankfully he is back to work and cardiac rehabilitation.

In the midst of all the stress, I knew I had to inquire about altering /upgrading our travel insurance (Heaven forbid something medical happens during the trip and we would be denied coverage for anything heart related was my thinking).

I just called the website that sold the policy and the rep 1st said that there is no way to upgrade (even if I paid more) and basically this is a case of me having to ask for a cancellation through the insurance company that issued the policy by saying that we are not able to travel.

I did pay for 100% coverage of trip cancel, but my point is that we still want to go on the cruise and be covered for any emergency!!!

The rep that I talked to is with the website that sells a lot of different travel insurance companies,and she was pushing me to call the claims department to say that I am not going to be able to take the trip. I said 3 times I must think about this!

How do I handle this now- Will I have to use a new company to get adequate coverage for his pre-existing condition? Am I stuck just "hoping nothing happens" and keeping the same policy?

I’m confused by what coverage you currently have. I don’t think any company will cover you for a new policy on a pre-existing condition. Typically pre-existing condition coverage has to be purchased right around the time you book the cruise. Why is your current policy inadequate and what do you want to see changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not clear on what you want to upgrade to - more coverage? Cancel for any reason? What does the policy that you have now cover? If you're worried about a 'pre-existing condition' issue that would prevent you from collecting if you do decide later to cancel, or that they wouldn't pay for medical treatment for a heart-related issue, that shouldn't be a problem. Since the heart attack happened after you took out the policy, no 'pre-existing' condition exists. Hope it all works out for you!

I’m confused by what coverage you currently have. I don’t think any company will cover you for a new policy on a pre-existing condition. Typically pre-existing condition coverage has to be purchased right around the time you book the cruise. Why is your current policy inadequate and what do you want to see changed?

My issue is that we bought very comprehensive coverage weeks before he had a heart attack.

I just want to be covered in case he has a medical problem & not have the insurance company deny us (by saying he is not covered for his heart condition because we didn't disclose it when we bought the coverage).

LOL, guess I will have to ask Miss Cleo about any future medical issues before I book the next trip insurance policy.

I'm not clear on what you want to upgrade to - more coverage? Cancel for any reason? What does the policy that you have now cover? If you're worried about a 'pre-existing condition' issue that would prevent you from collecting if you do decide later to cancel, or that they wouldn't pay for medical treatment for a heart-related issue, that shouldn't be a problem. Since the heart attack happened after you took out the policy, no 'pre-existing' condition exists. Hope it all works out for you!

Thanks- we have almost all of the available options that the policy could offer. I was told that his heart condition would be considered "pre-existing" by the rep since it happened before the trip/after the coverage was paid for.

As long as you are planning to cruise, stay with the insurance you have. If you get a new policy it will almost certainly NOT cover any heart problems as they would be considered a pre-existing condition.

Thanks- Im wondering if the insurance website will now alert the insurance company that we are covered through:eek:

My issue is that we bought very comprehensive coverage weeks before he had a heart attack.

I just want to be covered in case he has a medical problem & not have the insurance company deny us (by saying he is not covered for his heart condition because we didn't disclose it when we bought the coverage).

LOL, guess I will have to ask Miss Cleo about any future medical issues before I book the next trip insurance policy.

I also don't understand what you want. If your policy covers pre-existing conditions, you don't have to disclose anything (in the US).

Well, the heart issues were not pre-existing to the policy if you bought it weeks before the heart attack. Does the insurance you purchased offer any medical benefits? Have you checked if your health insurance covers you outside of the country. There are medical only insurance companies you can look into if the answer to both is no.

Thanks- we have almost all of the available options that the policy could offer. I was told that his heart condition would be considered "pre-existing" by the rep since it happened before the trip/after the coverage was paid for.

I'd be surprised if that's true.

I have one experience with travel insurance, not on a cruise though. My mom bought it to cover a trip she was taking me and my niece on. The day after she bought it I ended up in the ER with a medical issue that led to surgery the week we were supposed to travel, 3 months later. She had no problems getting the insurance to pay, it wasn't considered pre-existing because it wasn't when she bought it.

Now, any new insurance of course has to cover pre-existing.

Late in 1999 we booked a Princess cruise for Australia and New Zealand. Cruise was for Feb 2000. We did buy insurance.

Two weeks before we were to leave for Australia, DH had a heart attack. Of course we had no choice but to cancel our cruise.

Insurance paid us everything back since his heart attack was after we booked cruise, air and insurance. Had no problems.

I'm not sure that you have anything to worry about as far as your existing policy is concerned, since his heart condition wasn't pre existing when you bought the policy. But I'm not an insurance adjuster.

I'm also not sure I'd take the final word from a phone rep who doesn't actually work for the insurance company, but just the company who sells the policies. I'd suggest that you call the actual insurance company to discuss your concerns.

I'd definitely check on your health insurance policy if you have one. My dad died while on vacation and it was his health insurer that covered everything, from getting him to a better hospital to arranging and paying for getting his body home. We could have claimed some incidental costs from the travel insurance policy but it wasn't worth the hassle when his health insurer had covered all the major stuff. All the travel insurance providers here in Ireland ask about your health insurance coverage and will reduce the cost of your travel insurance if you've got overseas cover.

If you paid the insurance within their timeframe from initial trip cost payment to cover pre-existing condition, I don’t think they will not cover it.

Hello wonderful Cruise Critic friends! My husband and I are set up a Carnival cruise in April for our 6th anniversary. I booked it in October, then booked travel insurance about 3 days later.

My husband had a heart attack in mid-November. he is doing okay, and thankfully he is back to work and cardiac rehabilitation.

In the midst of all the stress, I knew I had to inquire about altering /upgrading our travel insurance (Heaven forbid something medical happens during the trip and we would be denied coverage for anything heart related was my thinking).

I just called the website that sold the policy and the rep 1st said that there is no way to upgrade (even if I paid more) and basically this is a case of me having to ask for a cancellation through the insurance company that issued the policy by saying that we are not able to travel.

I did pay for 100% coverage of trip cancel, but my point is that we still want to go on the cruise and be covered for any emergency!!!

The rep that I talked to is with the website that sells a lot of different travel insurance companies,and she was pushing me to call the claims department to say that I am not going to be able to take the trip. I said 3 times I must think about this!

How do I handle this now- Will I have to use a new company to get adequate coverage for his pre-existing condition? Am I stuck just "hoping nothing happens" and keeping the same policy?

Most travel insurance policies will cover pre-existing conditions if the insurance is purchased within 14 days of booking the cruise (some are 21 days). It sounds like you certainly did that. So I don’t see why the insurance you already have wouldn’t work.

If you talked to someone at the company who sells a lot of different policies and you didn’t get a clear answer, try calling the insurance company directly. They should be able to give you a better answer.

Glad your husband is better!! Enjoy your cruise!!

Late in 1999 we booked a Princess cruise for Australia and New Zealand. Cruise was for Feb 2000. We did buy insurance.

OP, yes, ^this

You could not disclose about a heart conditon your DH did not yet have when you purchased the policy.

s long as he and you were helathy enough to travel on the day you purchased the insurance, you an d he should be covereed for any medical issue that might arise while you are traveling. I have heart dondition and always buy myy insurance as soona s I bbok my cruise. they have nver asked me about any pre-existing condition. When I have asked, they have sadid" are you healrhy for travel today? Yes, I am........ then fine, because I ( and you) purhcased the policy immediately after booking your cruise and were fine to treavel that day, the insurance pollicy would have to contain some vvery unusual and specific language limiting coverage. You will be held to all gterms in the writen policyh and they will be as well if you must make a claim. I would make no calls, to them at this point. You are not trying to 'get away with somthing'. You wrote that policy when your DH was fine. Read the written policy and if you happen to have a friend, relative, neighbor who is an attorney, ask their opinion,

Whatever you now have is all you likely will have for this upcoming trip. Don't try to keep adding to it, IMO

Hope your DH makes a full and easy recovery. All best wishes..............

Two weeks before we were to leave for Australia, DH had a heart attack. Of course we had no choice but to cancel our cruise.

Insurance paid us everything back since his heart attack was after we booked cruise, air and insurance. Had no problems.

I have never had to make a claim, thankfully, but I have verified with my insurrer each time I buy travel coverage.

Edited by sail7seas

If you bought the insurance when you booked the trip, it should cover "pre-existing" conditions...of which he now has. Hopefully, he'll be good to go. If you start trying to adjust your insurance, it won't cover anything. Can't get insurance to cover you AFTER an event....(unless it's Obamacare...lol!) You say he's doing fine now...so go with the flow...either cancel the whole thing now, and get your money back, or take the trip.

I'm not sure that you have anything to worry about as far as your existing policy is concerned, since his heart condition wasn't pre existing when you bought the policy. But I'm not an insurance adjuster.

I'm also not sure I'd take the final word from a phone rep who doesn't actually work for the insurance company, but just the company who sells the policies. I'd suggest that you call the actual insurance company to discuss your concerns.

This.

OP: Pre-existing conditions are those that first appeared or preceded but changed significantly (e.g., new meds/treatments) during the "look back" period of X months (per the insurer) prior to the day you purchased the coverage.

To get a PEQ waiver, you need to comply with the insurer's purchase window requirement(e.g., w/I X days of first deposit OR prior to final pay - again, depending on the insurer.

Apparently the heart attack (no history or related diagnosis during the look back period) may have occurred AFTER the look back period. So, it's not a PEQ .

If MD says OK to travel (in writing), what's the issue?

My basic travel insurance comes from using a Chase Saphire Reserved credit card. However, that coverage is light on the medical/evacuation coverage - so I buy a separate travel medical package from GeoBlue Travel Insurance https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/index.cfm They cover preexisting conditions. If your current insurer claims that your husband's heart condition is not covered as it is preexisting (I would challenge them on this), you might want to look into a policy like this.

If you bought the insurance when you booked the trip, it should cover "pre-existing" conditions...of which he now has. Hopefully, he'll be good to go. If you start trying to adjust your insurance, it won't cover anything. Can't get insurance to cover you AFTER an event....(unless it's Obamacare...lol!) You say he's doing fine now...so go with the flow...either cancel the whole thing now, and get your money back, or take the trip.

NO, he does NOT have a pre-existing condition.

Pre-existing condition means pre-existing WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE INSURANCE. Not pre-cruise.

I'm no insurance expert, but I would say consult the insurance policy which should be available complete probably as a .pdf file on the website. Since the heart attack came after purchase of the insurance it should not be considered a pre-existing condition. At a guess she pushed for your cancellation of the cruise because she would surely know the expense would be minimal at this point. Just the deposit on the cruise and something for the airfare. At least it would be inexpensive for the insurance company verses the potential expense of a medical evacuation.

I would say the most prudent course of action would be to consult with husband's heart doctor on his next follow up visit regarding how sensible a cruise at that point would be. Providing rehabilitation is going well and husband is sticking to his prescribed regime most probably it is ok, but the doctor would be the one to answer that question. At that point you could cancel or decide to go forward with the insurance you already hold.

I'm pretty sure the clause in most travel insurance about having to purchase within a very limited number of days after booking your trip would be what prevents you from changing insurance now.

One other thing you might check into. Some credit cards provide some insurance for travel booked on the card. I seem to remember one of mine offers some medical coverage even but may misremember that bit. No harm in checking does the card you booked with offer any coverage. The information should be available online.

AT THE TIME you bought policy, there was no pre existing condition. While most policies cover emergency medical coverage, major issue is getting you home once the ship's doctor kicks you off the ship.

I have been in your husband's shoes, wink wink nod nod. If he;s working, he can go on a cruise and I strongly suggest he go.

We have gotten travel policy for cruises 2 through 13. Had to use once when wife eneded up in hospital two days before cruise. Got full refund within a month

Thanks everyone, I will scour the policy info and see what it specifies. Thanks for all the nice advice. He is doing well (knock on wood) with cardiac rehab and working. I'm pretty positive that his cardiologist will approve the cruise, so keep an eye out for a tall couple going on the Carnival Liberty in April.

Hope all of your cruises are a wonderful experience.

This hits a little close to home. I had a heart attack last April, and will be going on a cruise this coming April, just under one year later. I'm doing very well, thank you.

Best wishes to your husband. Individual conditions are different, of course, and heart attacks vary widely. But my first concern would be the fact that, regardless of insurance, on a cruise, you can be many hours away from a modern well-equipped hospital. If there's any chance of a repeat attack, you will want to have medical care close by. I'm betting the ship's infirmary is not set up for open-heart surgery or heart catheterization, nor is the ship's physician experienced at that kind of work.

In my own attack, it took less than ten minutes after I started feeling symptoms for me to arrive via ambulance at the ER, and moments later I was in the cath lab having my artery opened. I never lost consciousness. That extremely quick treatment meant essentially no muscle damage, fast recovery, and no activity restrictions. I missed only three days of work. A week later I was riding a bike and mowing the lawn.

These days, I would NOT want to board a ship without having a cardiologist's OK. A helicopter evacuation would take an incredibly long time, and when your heart muscle is starved for oxygen, the blood supply has to be restored quickly. And I'm not sure all cruise ships can handle a helicopter landing.

So talk to the doctor about the cruise, and discuss the health risks of being far from hospitals. Nothing is 100% sure; life is full of risks, but regardless of insurance, you want to be aware of the risks and reasonably careful.

Regarding insurance, there are a couple of kinds, that pay for different things. There is trip cancellation insurance, which refunds the price of your trip if you have to cancel. There is medical evacuation insurance, which can pay for evacuation needed in an emergency. Depending on the policy, that might be an evacuation from the ship to the nearest hospital, or from wherever you are to return to the USA. Or it might even pay to get you all the way back to your home city. And there are policies that combine different types of coverage. Finally, there is ordinary health care insurance, which pays for surgery, hospitalizations, and other kinds of medical treatment.

So which kind of insurance is it that you bought?