Disappo9inting places to visit?

babs135

Don't agree at all. I found the pyramids of Giza amazing, loved the Sandhills of Nebraska enough to make multiple visits to them. I haven't been to the four corners, but would get a kick out of it if I were in the area. I enjoyed straddling the Prime Meridian in Greenwich (not listed), loved circling the equator marker in Ecuador, and would really like to cross the equator by sea some day. Had a good time at Mall of America and a terrific time in Mexico City. Did not think much of kissing the Blarney stone, but the lovely grounds and circular stairs in the castle were worth the visit. The kids and I had a blast at Madame Tussaud's in London.

For those of you not interested in the click bait article:

Times Square

Four Corners

Madame Tussaud's

The Prairies - Nebraska

Dubai

The equator - Ecuador

Loch Ness

Blarney Stone

Great Pyramid of Giza

Jamaica

Lagos, Nigeria

Mall of America

With the exception of Times Square (only because of its proximity to Broadway Shows), I'd say the list is accurate. Since I'd drop TS off the list, I'd add back any Caribbean island that accepts mega-cruiseships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree somewhat. But, I gotta say go ahead and go. Make of it what you will. Example: The Blarney Castle. We skipped the stone, too cliche', line too long. And they were charging an extra fee. We did, however, have a good time roaming around the castle grounds for a couple of hours. Charming and picturesque. Times Square: big, noisy, dirty. But once was kind of fascinating and we were in New York AND we saw a show. Fairly awesome day. Same with Loch Ness. Much ado about nothing really, but getting there was half the fun. We took a private tour and wandered all over the back roads of the Highlands before stopping on the shores of Loch Ness for one of my all time favorite photos of my sister and I.

Not sure who said it, but one of my favorite quotes is: "Life is a journey, not a destination." For me, the same holds true for just about anything, especially travel.

It is always a matter of taste - but some of the spots are really tempting to me: the Nebraska prairie, the Great Pyramid, Loch Ness - and some others are definitely worth seeing. But the Mall of America - absurd consumerism excess - just bigger, but essentially something you could see anywhere. And Jamaica - the dirtiest, least safe island - when there are so many, offering so much more is worth paying to avoid. The Four Corners -go to the middle of nowhere so you can say you stepped on four empty areas at the same time: big whoop!

We have learned from everywhere we have visited.

Never been disappointed but some places we prefer over others.

One of the reasons we like to cruise so we get a flavor of many places and then can return on land to those that we might want to see in more details.

We enjoy the diversity of the places and are happy to see as many as we can.

Keith

They missed the statue of The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen. It’s basically a bronze statue of a 12-yo girl with fish feet sitting on a stone 5 meters from the shore. Boooring.

Oh, and I am Danish and have lived in the city the last 50+ years so I should know.

They missed the statue of The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen. It’s basically a bronze statue of a 12-yo girl with fish feet sitting on a stone 5 meters from the shore. Boooring.

Oh, and I am Danish and have lived in the city the last 50+ years so I should know.

When I visited Copenhagan, it wasn't even there, so we saw a replica in Tivoli Gardens instead.:D

Wow, I 100% agree with The Little Mermaid is boring, In fact, I remember reading Rick Steves calling it the most overrated attraction in the world.

I disagree with Jamaica on the original list. We very much enjoyed our Bob Marley bus excursion out last time there.

Any place can be "hyped" into being a "must see" location. Niagra Falls, for example, was made into the prime "go to" spot - it became the cliche honeymoon destination for decades for people with little imagination or individual interests. Sure: it's huge - a whole lot of water pouring over a cliff. --- but, when you stop to think about it, it is just a whole lot of water pouring over a cliff.

Whatever floats your boat...

We have learned from everywhere we have visited.

Never been disappointed but some places we prefer over others.

One of the reasons we like to cruise so we get a flavor of many places and then can return on land to those that we might want to see in more details.

We enjoy the diversity of the places and are happy to see as many as we can.

Keith

I have to agree with Keith more or less. Sure some places aren't my favorites (and I haven't been to all the places on the list), but the ones I've visited have been experiences and memory makers.

I'll not ever forget visiting Blarney castle at age 16 and the somewhat perilous (or so it seemed) bendover to kiss the stone.

And the great pyramid at Giza -- well, it was a site I'd wanted to visit for a long time and the reality exceeded any photo or TV image I'd ever seen. Just the fact that I had finally gotten to Egypt after a lifetime of longing to go made the whole trip one of my favorites. Honestly, people should be amazed that the pyramid has survived at all, not be "disappointed" that it isn't in some Disneyfied setting. What's next, moving the Colosseum in Rome outside the city and creating a "Gladiator Times" show for tourists? :eek:

This list is very subjective and some people will agree and others will not. I have visited some very exciting places, and some not so exciting places, but am glad that I have been able to go everywhere that I have. You just have to make the best of it and if you don't like a certain place, make sure you don't go back.

I must agree with you on the Mermaid, but I would never have thought about it here on this thread.:)