Viking Insurance

alexsarasota

We just booked a homeland cruise and I wonder if anyone has needed to use the insurance policy sold by Viking. Does it cover hospital care adequately or any other emergency needed without a hassle. Hate to need medical service in a foreign country if at all possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just booked a homeland cruise and I wonder if anyone has needed to use the insurance policy sold by Viking. Does it cover hospital care adequately or any other emergency needed without a hassle. Hate to need medical service in a foreign country if at all possible.

Check out Insure My Trip. They have many many plans and you will be able to get more coverage for less money than from the cruise line.

We also have a yearly very inexpensive travel medical

policy. Have had to use it and it was very good and very easy to file a claim.

I agree with insure my trip. I think I've booked well over a dozen policies with them (different companies, I look at the price and the coverage and then choose). Much more affordable than through the cruise line. I had to use it big time once when I had emergency surgery one week before our river cruise (not on Viking). I got back everything, very promptly...even the amount that AA charged us to put our miles back into our account...plus a few non refundable priceline hotels and a small tour deposit. I don't know that the cruise line insurance would cover those things.

I would not recommend using Viking's insurance because its generally more expensive than going directly to the insurance company. Likewise, if you need service or have a claim, you will be going directly to the insurance provider.

The intermediary websites mentioned (Insure My Trip, Squaremouth) are helpful for shopping but we buy direct for the reasons to have a direct record/relationship for service & claims. We found GENERALI Travel Insurance (used to be CSA) on these sites. Their website http://www.generalitravelinsurance.com has the most liberal policy for pre existing conditions. And the highest coverage for medical and evac.

Viking's insurance may not cover pre and post river cruise travel like hotel, rental car, or day trip/excursion.

A word of advice, don’t buy the insurance from Viking, the company they use, Trip Mate is horrible! We have been waiting a month and despite repeated phone calls our claim is just sitting somewhere. Their online tracking system does not even show they have started their review. When we call they say “it shouy be reviewed this week”......

Ridiculous , if you do a search, you will see this is SOP for them.

Run, run away

We had exactly the opposite experience with Trip Mate. We had to cancel our cruise about a week out due to my wife’s mother’s illness. We had the money back about in about three weeks. We filed the claim by email.

Dear KirkNC,

We sincerely regret to learn you’ve been experiencing difficulty with the claim process, and are happy to look further into this matter for you.

Accordingly, we invite you to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com, where a seasoned Viking Customer Relations Agent can reach out to Trip Mate and investigate the delay.

We’re looking forward to hearing from you through that outlet, KirkNC, and wish you a wonderful day.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

A word of advice, don’t buy the insurance from Viking, the company they use, Trip Mate is horrible! We have been waiting a month and despite repeated phone calls our claim is just sitting somewhere. Their online tracking system does not even show they have started their review. When we call they say “it shouy be reviewed this week”......

Ridiculous , if you do a search, you will see this is SOP for them.

Run, run away

Dear KirkNC,

We sincerely regret to learn you’ve been experiencing difficulty with the claim process, and are happy to look further into this matter for you.

Accordingly, we invite you to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com, where a seasoned Viking Customer Relations Agent can reach out to Trip Mate and investigate the delay.

We’re looking forward to hearing from you through that outlet, KirkNC, and wish you a wonderful day.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

I commend Viking for their response and we have forwarded our info to them. Unfortunately it may take their intervention to resolve this. We will update any progress, going on five weeks with the review not even started ��

We also go to insure my trip dot com. Always look for evacuation insurance. To long a story however Medical on site and evacuation insurance is a MUST! EU is no place for a medical emergency yes EU, let alone a "Third World Country". Evac to home is critical. :)

We had exactly the opposite experience with Trip Mate. We had to cancel our cruise about a week out due to my wife’s mother’s illness. We had the money back about in about three weeks. We filed the claim by email.

We also had a good experience with Trip Mate. Had to cancel a trip due to illness and had the Viking portion of the trip expense (50%) back within a week of contacting them and Trip Mate had the remaining portion to us within a month.