Snorkeling Expert Advice Needed Pretty Please :)

Snuckles

Snorkeling is very important to us. I'd hate to go all the way to Roatan on a cruise ship and NOT get the best experience possible. This will be the only port where we actually snorkel. So . . . with that being said what's the general opinion on going to West Bay and snorkeling from shore VERSES using one of the snorkeling vendors at West Bay VERSES booking a snorkeling excursion like Roatan Ocean Adventures (or another tour operator)?

• To me it appears that snorkeling vendors at West Bay may not give me enough water time for the $ as I'm sure they want to make as much as possible during the course of the day.
  • With an excursion, I know how much water time I'm getting ahead of time and the boat may be better than a Bay's vendor.
  • Snorkeling from shore might just be just as amazing as the two options above (BUT I have absolutely no idea).

Can someone weigh in and put me out of my misery? Pretty please :) and thank you so much!

We went on our own and shore snorkeled at West Bay, and it was awesome. Tons of fish and big coral formations in just 5 feet of water, and the reef went on out for a long way, all very shallow. We had our own equipment, but there were rentals available. This was one of the best snorkels I have ever done!

Hubby and BIL took a kayak out, and enjoyed it. There were many vendors selling all kinds of excursions, so I think you could do a boat snorkel on the fly if you wanted.

I can’t compare other excursions, but we had a great day doing exactly what we wanted, when we wanted.

We booked a snorkeling excursion through Bay Island Adventures (found them on tripadvisor). Took us in a power boat to 3 different snorkeling sites, had an amazing lobster lunch on a secluded beach, included rum punch and beer, and ended at West End beach area. Got to see a lot of the island. Taxi to and from port included. Communicate via Facebook messenger. Tell Kendra what you're interested in and they can customize a tour. Food was fantastic and snorkeling was awesome.

We booked a snorkeling excursion through Bay Island Adventures (found them on tripadvisor). Took us in a power boat to 3 different snorkeling sites, had an amazing lobster lunch on a secluded beach, included rum punch and beer, and ended at West End beach area. Got to see a lot of the island. Taxi to and from port included. Communicate via Facebook messenger. Tell Kendra what you're interested in and they can customize a tour. Food was fantastic and snorkeling was awesome.

Good lawd, this sounds awesome!

Good lawd, this sounds awesome!

We agree! I was just searching for something other than LFK (don't get me started on my frustrations) and we wanted to make sure we were snorkeling and enjoying local goods.

When do you go?? Let me know how your experience goes - we don't go until end of September.

We agree! I was just searching for something other than LFK (don't get me started on my frustrations) and we wanted to make sure we were snorkeling and enjoying local goods.

When do you go?? Let me know how your experience goes - we don't go until end of September.

Will do, we are going Feb 21st! So freaking excited!!!!!

You won't be disappointed in snorkeling in Roatan. No kidding, amazing reefs very close to surface. I like doing all snorkeling and diving from boat as the coral is healthier away from beaches and people and wave action.

Morning or afternoon? I don't think it matters, day to day conditions can change.

enjoy!

The last time we were in Roatan, we took the Carnival-sponsored shuttle bus to the beach. I'm not sure if it was West Bay or not, but there was lots of beach vendors who were offering to take my daughter and I out on a snorkeling trip. We wound up playing them against each other and got a pretty good deal, where they took us both out for $30. It was an AWESOME trip. They took us to the "blue channel" (I think that's what they called it) and it seemed like the spot where everyone else was going. It was really great snorkeling and well worth it. I would totally do that again.

The last time we were in Roatan, we took the Carnival-sponsored shuttle bus to the beach. I'm not sure if it was West Bay or not

It was probably Tabayana Beach (West Bay, just to the south of Infinity Bay, Paradise, Bananarama etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

We went with Bay Island Adventures and had an AWESOME time! It was the highlight of our cruise!!! We did the 3 stop snorkel tour, steak & lobster lunch with open bar (beer, mimosas, rum punch, vodka). I was disappointed that we didn't get Captain Ray, but the crew for the day was fun and awesome! After the snorkel trip they took us to see the monkeys & sloths. We would book with Bay Island again in a heartbeat! Hope this helps someone on the fence.

• 2 weeks later...
We went with Bay Island Adventures and had an AWESOME time! It was the highlight of our cruise!!! We did the 3 stop snorkel tour, steak & lobster lunch with open bar (beer, mimosas, rum punch, vodka). I was disappointed that we didn't get Captain Ray, but the crew for the day was fun and awesome! After the snorkel trip they took us to see the monkeys & sloths. We would book with Bay Island again in a heartbeat! Hope this helps someone on the fence.

Thanks for following up. I am going to look into them now for our April cruise. Was hoping for a catamaran but this sounds great.

Thanks for following up. I am going to look into them now for our April cruise. Was hoping for a catamaran but this sounds great.

Free Radical does an amazing snorkel and sail with yummy food and a talented crew.

So would we! (y)

• 2 weeks later...

What was the cost per person for Bay Island Adventures? It sounds amazing!

What was the cost per person for Bay Island Adventures? It sounds amazing!

I sent them a FB message and the reply was the 5.5 hour tour is $120 plus tax for adults and $90 for children. This is the tour with 2 snorkel stops and steak and lobster lunch. They also have a 4.5 hour tour for $100 plus tax adult and $85 child that stops at 4 snorkel sites and includes an island lunch. We are looking into them for our April cruise. Its between them and Radical Adventures.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please someone write in and tell me how to get a hold of Bay Island Adventures! I found a Facebook page but when I emailed them from the address I found on this page, it bounced. Sorry to be a moron but maybe I have to call?? Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...