What to do besides the beach?

MaShesLookinOutMyWindow

We loved the zipline tour in Antigua. We did it through Celebrity, but I'm sure it could be done on your own. However, it's a bit away from the ship, so we felt better going thru Celebrity. The price difference was negligible.

Our family isn't really into beaches, so can anyone suggest an activity to do while in port? It will be two 40-somethings and an 11 year old girl. Thanks in advance.

Archery for all the family?

Contact them for all activities and current prices

https://www.facebook.com/pg/reservoirrangeantigua/reviews/?ref=page_internal

We really enjoyed the 1/2 day See Antigua By Sea day sail on the two-tiered “Excellence” catamaran. Great crew lunch, and motoring through the harbors after a sail to Green Island for snorkeling is very nice. Mezmerizingly blue, blue water, and seeing the gorgeous coastline from the boat is memorable!

We also highly recommend an island tour with Lawrence of Antigua. A private tour is a little more expensive but worth it, and seeing the highlights like Shirley Heights is a wonderful way to see the island. We added a beach stop at Pigeon Beach with a great jerk lunch.

If she like animals, antigua has a donkey sanctuary but you need to rent a car for it. We've been there and to bonaire's with my kids and that was the one place my kids still talk about on a cruise that had 7 stops. Also, the dolphins, sting ray city...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We were recently there on a Viking cruise and we went to Nelson’s Dockyard, Shirley Heights and then boarded a Catamaran that sailed out to a reef where you could snorkel or swim if you wanted to (we didn’t), then they prepared a lovely barbecue lunch right on the boat. Afterward we sailed back along the coast to the dock. It was a really great day.

We booked it through the ship, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult on your own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our family isn't really into beaches, so can anyone suggest an activity to do while in port? It will be two 40-somethings and an 11 year old girl. Thanks in advance.

We went mid-April & rented a car right off the dock (total of $80! for the day) and drove to Shirley Heights (AWESOME views!) and then made our way around the coast back to the ship, stopping at beaches along the way.

But, you could always make a stop at the Donkey Sanctuary:) too!

We loved getting to drive around on our own time and not being tied to a tour!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back and were not impressed. Next time we'll try the donkey sanctuary. All the beaches require taxis ($32 for two of us there and back, then chair rental, and umbrella rental). Worst was the pervasive smell of cheap weed and the amount of trash everywhere. You'd think a place that relies so much on tourism would enforce their drug laws and keep the streets clean.

We just got back and were not impressed. Next time we'll try the donkey sanctuary. All the beaches require taxis ($32 for two of us there and back, then chair rental, and umbrella rental). Worst was the pervasive smell of cheap weed and the amount of trash everywhere. You'd think a place that relies so much on tourism would enforce their drug laws and keep the streets clean.

...ok, come on! Pretty much all caribbean islands smell of “cheap weed”. Additionally weed is barely a “drug”, it would be silly to prosecute a bunch of already poor people for it.

I thought Antigua was beautiful. Next time rent a car! We paid $75 & got to explore the island on our own. Darkwood beach was one of the prettiest and non-touristy beaches I’ve seen in the caribbean. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow...such a polar difference from our experiences on Antigua!

You didn’t mention what areas of Antigua you experienced? Depending on what beach you went to of course, that taxi fare doesn’t sound unreasonable IMHO, especially as compared to other Carib destinations.

We’ve never seen a lot trash on our travels around the island, can you please elaborate? And you may notice “the smell” on any of the islands, does not disturb us at all, maybe next visit try a nice island tour with a stop on a deserted beach and your cooler. Or one of the excellent day sails. :)

• 1 month later...

I remember reading your post Kath on that excursion. We are more DIY generally, but that combination sounds really nice. Do you recall what the approximate cost was to take this excursion? We are considering this or deciding on just a beach day as Antigua is known for their 300+ beautiful beaches.

I remember reading your post Kath on that excursion. We are more DIY generally, but that combination sounds really nice. Do you recall what the approximate cost was to take this excursion? We are considering this or deciding on just a beach day as Antigua is known for their 300+ beautiful beaches.

The price listed on my paperwork is $129 pp. It was a full day and we did a lot. You could probably book something like this independently for less, but we like worry free on vacation. We really enjoyed it, so we felt it was worth it.

Thanks Kath. Approximately how many people were on this excursion? That is the deal breaker for me on ship activities - too many people and all that entails as a result. :o

The initial part where we went to Nelson’s Dockyard and Shirley Heights was a bus ride. I think there were some people who were on the included tour with us.

The catamaran was a good size and it didn’t feel crowded at all.

I have some photos, but I can’t access them easily right now. I wish try to post them tomorrow