Sun Princess Drydock - June 2018

Sun Princess heading in to dry dock - 20th June 2018:

sun_bridge20062018.jpg

(This was the only webcam capture I got of her going in to dry dock, before her webcam stopped updating :( )

It will be interesting to see if she will get the new Sea Witch art work on her bow.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope they completed all the refurbishments.

Do you or anyone know what they did in the way of refurbishment to the Sun Princess? We'll be on her in January, really looking forward to seeing Australia and the Fiji Islands. We've always wanted to visit Australia and this is our golden opportunity.

I love the Sun class ships however we have never sailed on Sun (did both Dawn & Sea).

For me they are the right size ship - cos I am only a wee Elf .

Any update on what has been 'refurbished' will be appreciated.

Dobby, I have sent you an email, did you get it?

I need your contact details:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Princess has a press release on the dry dock: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-features-and-upgrades-debut-onboard-sun-princess-300681885.html

A friend of mine sailed on Sun Princess early July and he was not impressed by the dated interior. The peephole was gone in his cabin so there was literally a hole in the door. Princess doesn't seem to have a long term plan to keep the Sun.

Despite the fact she's an older ship, she's still one of my favourites. The cabins are comfortable even though the decor is a bit bland. The bathrooms are standard Princess but the showers seem a little bigger than the Grand and Royal class ships. Crooners is the real hub of the ship, but the Wheelhouse bar is a great alternative. And the wide promenade deck that goes right around the ship works for both walkers/runners and those who want a sheltered place to sit.

The reported enhancements don't really interest me - club class, different shops, youth and teen centre.

I'd happily cruise on her again.

The Sun is doing a 46 day Freemantle to South Africa in January 2020. I'm thinking of it, but have my reservations re the age of the ship. Love the size. Heavily booked already.

That cruise is on my bucket list :), I would not mind doing 46 days on the Sun.

I have all ready done over 35days on the Sea, which is the same.

Cruise Critic has posted a story on what's changes have been done to the Sun Princess https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=8763

I just read it and it doesn't sound like much of a dry dock enhancement to the Sun Princess. Someone left a comment about sewage smells and oil smells. Has this always been a problem for this particular ship? It's not unusual to smell funky smells on a ship like sewage and garbage if one is aft and under Lido, but not always.

I hope they have not taken over public space as 'retail outlets' to increase on board revenue.:evilsmile: This club class is just a revenue raiser.

It doesn't look like they've added any more retail outlets. I think they've just reimagined the ones that were there on deck 6.

It doesn't look like they've added any more retail outlets. I think they've just reimagined the ones that were there on deck 6.

Thanks mate, as long as the Sun Princess pax 'Come back New.' :') After visiting the 'reimagined' boutiques.