Royal Palms v. Calico Jacks

KKB

Considering these 2 places for our Cayman visit.

RP looks more upscale, while CJ looks more Caribbean themed.

Has anyone done both & can compare?

Any idea what drink prices look like at either place?

Thanks!

Yes RP is more upscale, Calicos is more picnic tables in the sand style. Prices tend to reflect that too. Food offerings at RP are far wider.

Calicos food offerings: https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g147367-d1046088-i67222602-Calico_Jack_s_Bar_Grill-Seven_Mile_Beach_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

RP lunch menu: https://royalpalmscayman.com/rpbc-lunch-menu/

Thanks for the links--and with prices too! Honestly RP prices aren't really more...and their offerings looks GOOD.

Don't get me wrong--we tend to grab a burger at the pool on sea days & DH would prefer to dine in sports bars every night of the week if I let him, but RP menu looks YUMMY! THANKS!

Yes, Hemingway's looks to be another step up from RP--particularly in restaurant pricing.

Lots of sushi options; DH isn't a sushi fan.

I think leaning toward RP.

Yes, Hemingway's looks to be another step up from RP--particularly in restaurant pricing.

Lots of sushi options; DH isn't a sushi fan.

I think leaning toward RP.

I am not a sushi fan either, but that lobster quesadilla sounds delicious! One difference with Hemingway’s is there is no charge to use the chairs or umbrellas so that offsets the food cost somewhat. There is a $25 minimum spend per person. My math say RP would run us $43 to walk in the door and sit down without food or beverage. That make me think that Hemingway’s may be the better deal in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick update… I heard back from Hemingway’s and they have shifted the charge to a $30 (CI) minimum spend per umbrella, not per chair. They said the umbrellas are large enough to cover two chairs. The cabanas are 150 CI which includes a bottle of Prosecco and two bottles of water. No minimum spend beyond the rental. If you are looking at their menus, don’t forget to check the “beach menu“ which has more casual food including a burger and quesadillas.

Hmmm...Hemingways does sound like the better deal. I'd LOVE to have a lobster quesadilla but too much flour for me (gluten sensitive...)

Um...I just glanced at the beach menu & it just showed Bao buns, salad & sushi (burger & chicken tenders on kids menu; not sure how they feel about adults ordering that).

Yeah, DH wouldn't be a fan...

So if I read that post right for my wife and I and our two kids we would need four chairs and two umbrellas. So that would be $60 for the 4 of us is that correct? We were going to go to Calico Jack's but I would rather go to Hemingway's because they have the pool the kids could swim in cuz they don't like the salt water

So if I read that post right for my wife and I and our two kids we would need four chairs and two umbrellas. So that would be $60 for the 4 of us is that correct? We were going to go to Calico Jack's but I would rather go to Hemingway's because they have the pool the kids could swim in cuz they don't like the salt water

That’s how I understood it. I reached out to them via Facebook messenger and he responded with in a day. You can also check their website and email them.

Hmmm...Hemingways does sound like the better deal. I'd LOVE to have a lobster quesadilla but too much flour for me (gluten sensitive...)

Um...I just glanced at the beach menu & it just showed Bao buns, salad & sushi (burger & chicken tenders on kids menu; not sure how they feel about adults ordering that).

Yeah, DH wouldn't be a fan...

I suspect they wouldn’t care as long as you met the minimum, but the menu is definitely much more limited than Royal Palms.

I suspect they wouldn’t care as long as you met the minimum, but the menu is definitely much more limited than Royal Palms.

I have seen 2 reviews mentioning quesadillas...another mentioning burgers, neither of which appear on the website online.

I have messaged them to confirm these items are available. DH loves quesadillas & a burger will work for me. I'd prefer fish tacos...but need corn tortillas.

You are right...$40 for chairs/umbrella at RP plus food & drink doesn't make sense! May as well spend that $ on food & drink!

I have seen 2 reviews mentioning quesadillas...another mentioning burgers, neither of which appear on the website online.

I have messaged them to confirm these items are available. DH loves quesadillas & a burger will work for me. I'd prefer fish tacos...but need corn tortillas.

You are right...$40 for chairs/umbrella at RP plus food & drink doesn't make sense! May as well spend that $ on food & drink!

I think you might only be seeing the first page of the menu. Here’s a link to a PDF. Scroll down to the second page and you’ll see the quesadillas and burger - https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/01f051_fbfb5c00a67f4a3ebf9a941ed1c3a006.pdf

I emailed them & they sent me the menu immediately! Impressed--and GF helps!

I mentioned the 3 spots in Cayman to DH & he waffled--"Can't we just wander since we have specific plans in 2 places?" I said 7 mile Beach is really the thing in GC and since it is SEVEN MILES LONG maybe a plan is in order? I agreed to NO plan...but we have these in mind...

Well, Seven Mile Beach is officially 5.5 miles long, but I take your point. :-)

Actually not having a plan and going with the flow is definitely possible - the busses run up and down the road there (West Bay Road) quite regularly, so you could hit different spots as you feel like it and stay in each as long as you wish.

• 1 month later...

In case you haven't heard, Hemingway's closed as of 09/02/18. :( We were planning to go later this month. Now debating on PB or Calico Jack's. Still weighing whether I want to drop $43 for the entrance/chairs/umbrella at PB. It's our last port stop. Might depend on how much we've spent by then. Haha!

In case you haven't heard, Hemingway's closed as of 09/02/18. :( We were planning to go later this month. Now debating on PB or Calico Jack's. Still weighing whether I want to drop $43 for the entrance/chairs/umbrella at PB. It's our last port stop. Might depend on how much we've spent by then. Haha!

By PB do you mean Public Beach? Because that’s essentially the same spot as Calico Jacks, they’re pretty much on opposite sides of the same parking lot.

Or were you thinking of Royal Palms? That’s the only spot I can think of with an entry fee, but it’s minimal and you’re not forced to rent chairs/umbrellas, you can always throw a towel down on the sand.

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2018 at 2:52 PM, KKB said:

Considering these 2 places for our Cayman visit.
RP looks more upscale, while CJ looks more Caribbean themed.
Has anyone done both & can compare?
Any idea what drink prices look like at either place?
Thanks!

Your thoughts are correct, both are good, RP a little nicer, and a little more expensive!