A little help for first time SD please

ambers

We are taking our first SD cruise from Nice this summer. Regular Seabourn cruisers but having seen SD1 in the Med thought we'd give it a try as we like small ships. I appreciate the cabins are fairly 'cosy', which is absolutely fine, but is there space to store luggage; presume it's under the bed as usual? We'll be staying in Nice for a few days pre cruise so will need a case each though we could bring roll bags if necessary - just want to be able to stow the bags away. I've had a read through the threads so have the general idea about the dress, life onboard etc. Looking forward to it and thinking this may be a good choice for us going forward. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

I appreciate the cabins are fairly 'cosy', which is absolutely fine, but is there space to store luggage; presume it's under the bed as usual?

There is some room for luggage under the bed. However, we always ask our stewardess to store our luggage after we unpack it. It then disappears until the last full day of the cruise when magically it reappears.

Edited by ctbjr1309

We haven't been on board yet since our first SD cruise is still one month away. But having read everything there is to read on the SD website at least twice since we made reservations, their FAQ's say something different than what the previous response:

How many bags may I bring aboard?

We have no baggage or weight restrictions, however, it is important to remember that all luggage and personal items (including Golf clubs) must be stored in your stateroom. Due to the size of the yacht, additional storage options are not available.

Since I'll be cruising before you, I'll give provide an update after I see what there is for storage in the stateroom.

As for storage room, there is under bed storage. On SD1, there are doors that come off on both sides of the bed and you can easily store 2 regular size suitcases on each side. We've never needed to store more than that (although I can't figure out how we can go to Paris for a week in two carry-ons, but need 4 suitcases for a week in the Caribbean), but I would accept what ctbjr is telling you. I'm sure SD says this because they don't want everyone doing it, but I have never heard of any request by a passenger being denied. That's why it is SeaDream. Also, despite all the luggage we take, we have never had any difficulty finding a place to put things when we unpack. So you don't need to use your luggage as additional storage space. In hotels we might use a suitcase for laundry, but one of the drawers under the sofa easily accommodates two weeks' worth of laundry.

Sounds like the storage in our cabin will work out for us. Looking for the doors that come off under the bed is a good tip since it might not be obvious. We have 2 25inch hardside suitcases, and 2 soft sided carry-ons. We'll be spending 2 nights in Barbados before our 7 night cruise, 2 nights in Charlotte Amalie after the cruise, and, thanks to Jet Blue delaying our flight back through San Juan, a night in Fort Lauderdale after our late arrival. We recently fit 18 nights worth of clothing in the same luggage and came home with at least a few nights worth of clean clothes. Warm weather packing is so much smaller than cold weather packing.