Across the "pond" in october

dycklg

My son and I are making the voyage from Lisbon the Barbados this fall. This was a gift from my wife for my 70th birthday. I waited 2 years, and finally invited any and all of my 4 children to make the trip...one accepted. I have always wanted to go transatlantic, and came close around 1998 with our own boat, but decided in the end that the sailing was actually better in the Caribbean in the winter, and the Northeast USA in the summer.

We have been a sailing family for more than 35 years (11 boats--18'-58'). Now we will make the trip, and someone else will worry about the weather and the wind direction. And, I won't have to wipe the dishes, take out the trash, or dingy the dog ashore!

Are there any special tips from those who have made the trip before. And, are there any posters who are making the trip with us?

We will be doing this trip in October as well. We did the Transatlantic last April from Barbados to Rome and had such a wonderful time that we decided to do it in the opposite direction this year. You will have a fantastic time! I'd be glad to answer any specific questions; we'll be looking forward to meeting you on board.

Kathy and Tom

Washington DC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Please let us know how the trip was. We had hoped to do it this year--but family issues came up. We are looking at the same trip next year.

Thank you for any advise. We are sailors, but don't have the time to do it on our boat (a Tartan)! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I will be sailing on the Royal Clipper from Lisbon to Barbados this fall. He is an experienced sailor as well. We look forward to meeting you onboard.

I have many questions, and will be posting them separately once I get organized what I am needing to know. KathyA was very helpful in our decision to book this trip, by the way!

• 4 weeks later...

Just checking in,

Bet you are getting excited about the voyage. Please plan to take some notes for future passengers. We plan to do this in 2010--our 5th Clipper trip:D. Hope to go to Lisbon for 3 days prior, and then stay in Barbados 3 days after. We have been to Barbados before and love staying at the Peach and Quiet!

Enjoy the transit!

Kim

SV Sante` :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Just checking in,

Bet you are getting excited about the voyage. Please plan to take some notes for future passengers. We plan to do this in 2010--our 5th Clipper trip:D. Hope to go to Lisbon for 3 days prior, and then stay in Barbados 3 days after. We have been to Barbados before and love staying at the Peach and Quiet!

Enjoy the transit!

Kim

SV Sante` :cool:

You will enoy Lisbon. We spent 2 days prior to a TA there, but had severe jet-lag and really enjoyed only one:(

Beautiful city have some fish for me!:cool:

• 1 month later...

Well we did it...my son and I. It was a wonderful experience. It's hard to describe the power of the Royal Clipper surging through the seas. We hit 10 knots at one time. We met lots of wonderful people, and ate a lot of great and plentiful food, and drank....well...we drank a lot!. The Royal Clipper is really an anachronism....its almost like going back in time. It is much different than a small sailboat, but romantic and wonderful in its own way. So....avast all ye landlubbers...cast off your troubles,leave your wordly good behind, and you will have a truly amazing time!:o

My son and I are making the voyage from Lisbon the Barbados this fall. This was a gift from my wife for my 70th birthday. I waited 2 years, and finally invited any and all of my 4 children to make the trip...one accepted. I have always wanted to go transatlantic, and came close around 1998 with our own boat, but decided in the end that the sailing was actually better in the Caribbean in the winter, and the Northeast USA in the summer.

We have been a sailing family for more than 35 years (11 boats--18'-58'). Now we will make the trip, and someone else will worry about the weather and the wind direction. And, I won't have to wipe the dishes, take out the trash, or dingy the dog ashore!

Are there any special tips from those who have made the trip before. And, are there any posters who are making the trip with us?

Hi and welcome back!:p

We made our reservation this week for October 2010! Yea! It was neat to read your comments. We got a Cat 3 room amidships. This will be our 5th Star Clipper trip (2nd on the Royal). Did you get to "sail" alot across the pond? How was the weather? Did you get bored being at sea? We hope to stay in Lisbon 3 days before--do you remember the port you sailed out of? I want to find a place to stay fairly close. Any port tidbits along the way?

Hope you do not mind the questions!:rolleyes:

Kim on SV Sante`

We loved the trip as well. We sailed quite a bit, mid-Atlantic, and it was truly wonderful. Our 10.5 knots was under full sail, no engine. Weather was very nice, with a couple of heavy night time rain storms, but generally clear or partly cloudy during the day. It did get pretty hot as we neared Barbados, but except for the last day or so, the weather was close to perfect.

I did not get bored one bit crossing the Atlantic. The transAtlantic part was the best and most relaxing part of the trip as far as I was concerned - not a bit boring. I took far too many books along! I took a navigation class and loved it. And it is amazing how much time I spent just watching the water.

The Clipper departed from the Rocha Passenger Terminal. It did not appear to me to be in an area with very many hotels. We stayed at a wonderful hotel next to the Castelo San Jorge - the Olissippo Castelo. It was very reasonable, and our room was beautiful and quite spacious (great for reorganizing all our "stuff" for the cruise). You couldn't call it central or close to the Rocha Passenger Terminal by any means, but it was an easy walk from the tram, and the taxi ride to the terminal was not too expensive..

I don't mind the questions at all. Wish I could go on the trip next October as well!

Thank you so much for your info. A lot to plan, but plenty of time to do it. Please check this thread every now and then, as I am sure I will have more questions--as well as future travelers.

So, will the layered look be OK for the mid-Atlantic weather--say, sweater and windbreaker?? I do not want to bring a heavy jacket if it is not needed. Did you need long pants for the daytime on deck (I am not talking about dinner dress, just warmth). I love to watch the water too! :p

The first day or two, early mornings were cool, but at no time did the mid-day weather require long pants or jacket. I remember the morning, early in the cruise, when I went up on deck for a early morning walk, and realized that the long sleeve shirt I had on over my short sleeved top was too warm already! On the other hand, there were folks who wore jeans or other long pants for the whole voyage and they did not seem to be uncomfortable.

I'll keep checking back. When I get my pictures turned into a slideshow, I'll also check to see if you'd like access to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am really slow with my pictures:(, but have a slideshow done for the first three days of the trip - Lisbon to Casablanca. I know there is a way to do a private communication on the forum, but I am not sure how. When I figure it out I'll send you access to the slide show - and maybe someone will read this and tell me how to do it!

Meanwhile, I have thirteen days more of photos to edit! I think I need to quit my job so I have time to get it done!

DocH2O,

I've got plenty of time before we sail to see the pictures! Booked our accomodations in Lisbon and Barbados already. :D Will start looking at airfare soon--we are almost in the "window".

HO HO HO

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I got some work done over the holidays and have two Photoshows done, covering the first part of the trip. Here are the links. One more show to go - it will be about the transAtlantic part of the trip.

Hope you enjoy - they will make you very impatient for October I suspect. I am busy dreaming about our next Star Clipper trip to ??????

Be sure to have the sound on when you play these - they are set to music, including the actual music that is played when the ship raises her sails that I downloaded to include in the sail-away from Lisbon part of the show.

Lisbon to Casablanca

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/KG2Qe7Bn

Safi to Marrakesh

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/Pv9js2TF

Happy New Year as well!

- Harriet

Oh, dear... wonder what is wrong. When you click on one of the links, a new page should open... it should have a black screen on it (and a bunch of words). If you do nothing, an arrow and the word loading should appear in the screen... and then eventually the show should start. Obviously, that didn't happen.

So tell me, is the black screen there? Are there words? Or what do you get when you click the link?

As an alternative, are you on facebook? I have it posted there. Try this link http://www.facebook.com/HLHArvada?v=app_2352149512&ref=profile You may have to befriend me to see it but that is worth a try.

We'll get this figured out. It is supposed to be so simple!

Great--it worked tonight. Last night, I just got the black screen and no loading/arrow. Wow, you really put some work into those. The second one got pretty cosmic. Can't wait to see the TransAtlantic one. Thank you so much!

Archived