Theft

SFloridian

Has anyone else experienced theft on cruises? the last 3 cruises I had things stolen. The last 2 from my cabin. This past week I had a box with expensive costume jewelry taken, that I did not realize until I got home bc I wore it the first night and it was in a box separated from the rest of my stuff which was usually in the vault. :mad: Every day various people come into the cabin. It makes me realize how these people go through your things. Makes me very uneasy to cruise again. Most of the time we put the "do not disturb" on the door, just to keep them out. Even with the sign, we would come to the cabin with the sheets turned down and the chocolate on the bed.

I do realize, it was my fault that the first night I left it out. And I do hope that celebrity will handle this better than RC did with a new dress with tags still on it stolen right out of my suitcase before carrying it off the ship (my husband told the attendant we were going for breakfast and leaving the suitcases in the cabin..( I know-great opportunity for him to go in and look-in this case the dress was at the top of the bag bc it was white and I was going to return it-)

I reported this theft like I did the last this year.

I know I will never get my things back, and my husband told me next time he is buying a camera so when we are not in the cabin we can see how they go through our things.

Just wondering if I am the only one that this happens to. It can't be that coincidental.

Before that I had a pair of sneakers with custom orthotics stolen right from under my lounge chair the first day.

At first the ship (RC) said they have cameras and they found the man -that it was staff. Then they changed their tune and said they were wrong. they didn't see anything.. So I figured with this 3rd theft in 2 years it cost me about 1,000.00 in stolen merchandise.

Edited by SFloridian
adding more
  • Thanks 1

Not in 21 cruises. But we use the safe religiously.

So do I but this jewelry was in a box near my makeup case and I didn't put it back in the safety box.

Ok so I guess it is just a coincidence that it happened to me.

I guess if it was int he safe box it would not have been a temptation.

But it makes it obvious to me that if something is left out, it will be looked at.

After all, they are straightening things out.

I will make sure to never leave anything out again!

Never had anything go missing on any of our cruises.

The possibility is, of course, there, but not many ship's crew will risk it. I mean, if something goes missing and it's reported immediately, it's not like they can hide it somewhere where it won't be found. And I doubt that many are willing to risk a job or jail time for it.

• Like 1

Do you think I would make this up?

No, but in 99% of cases people lose or misplace something while traveling (hotel, cruise ship, etc.) they mistakenly claim it was stolen. It is exceptionally unlikely an Indonesian or Pilipino cabin steward would risk his/her livelihood by stealing a piece of jewelry from a cabin he/she is responsible for. Moreover, every person who goes in and out of your room is registered on the ship’s security cameras.

• Like 3

Never had anything go missing on any of our cruises.

The possibility is, of course, there, but not many ship's crew will risk it. I mean, if something goes missing and it's reported immediately, it's not like they can hide it somewhere where it won't be found. And I doubt that many are willing to risk a job or jail time for it.

You are right. The sneakers wouldn't have been traced back to the attendant. The dress was taken right before departing the ship. That couldn't be proven. Since we were in Aqua class several people went into the cabin daily which bothered me. We told the young girls that served appetizers daily that we didn't want them and still found them every day. With that many entering the cabin other than the attendant, you can never prove who took what. They also cannot investigate immediately, as with the dress..I live close to the pier so I discovered this as soon as I got home. I called and it took them two weeks to "Investigate " this, and in the end found nothing. If they immediately went into the attendants cabin, they could have found it , unless he got off the ship and mailed it out (remember it had tags and was new). Their priority is getting the next group on the ship, not investigating theft. They brought in iced tea every day which we also didn't want and let them know. So I assume another person delivered this. And I think room service also came in the cabin to pick up the trays. So far we have 4 different people with access into the cabin. From what I remember, that box was placed in an empty makeup case I had next to others that night. I didn't put it in the safe, but I had one case that was empty and put it there. So it stayed there. And I am sure someone knew it was there. It could not have disappeared on it's own. Iced tea, and wine glasses were put in that area also. I agree it is a risk, but with so many in the cabin, it can't be proven.

In all 10 yrs of cruising I've never had anything stolen. I use the safe for my important documents and money. I leave my iPad and camera out all the time and they were never stolen. I've sailed on various lines.

This is unfortunate for you.

• Like 1

hi

Every once in a while someone will post about items stolen, but I would think it's not typical. I have cruised about 30 times now with never having things missing.

Some people say they never even use their safe, although that doesn't sound very smart. I can understand the temptation of valuables or cash, but a dress out of your suitcase, or a pair of shoes from under a chair, sounds bizarre. Don't forget while the cabin stewards are cleaning the cabins, the doors are open and anyone passing by while unattended can grab something out in the open.

Always use your safe for valuables. There is nothing to be done about someone on a cruise that will steal a pair of shoes.

• Like 1

Have to agree with many others. After 16/17 cruises, with multiple lines, we've never had anything go missing. Heck, I can't even remember anything being moved from where I left it except maybe some clothing being folded or hung up.

No, but in 99% of cases people lose or misplace something while traveling (hotel, cruise ship, etc.) they mistakenly claim it was stolen. It is exceptionally unlikely an Indonesian or Pilipino cabin steward would risk his/her livelihood by stealing a piece of jewelry from a cabin he/she is responsible for. Moreover, every person who goes in and out of your room is registered on the ship’s security cameras.

How do you know what happens in 99% of cases?

As I stated in another comment, there were at least 4 people coming in and out of the cabin daily in the last case.

And I am not imagining that a white new dress I had at the top of my suitcase disappeared on it's own when I walked it off the ship~

I spoke to them about cameras. There are none in the cabins, obviously, and the dress could have easily been hidden in between white towels since it was stark white. And just bc someone is registered entering and leaving, with over 4 people in the cabin a day how could you ever prove anyone took anything?

The jewelry box was not lost since I never took it out of the cabin!

No thefts for us but we do make good use of our cabin safe.

We do leave some dollar bills in our top drawer and they've never be taken.

Once on lido deck a friend of ours sat his Yeti cup on the table while we were standing around chatting and someone took it. None of the other regular containers were taken -- just his Yeti.

Have to agree with many others. After 16/17 cruises, with multiple lines, we've never had anything go missing. Heck, I can't even remember anything being moved from where I left it except maybe some clothing being folded or hung up.

I'm glad it hasn't happened to anyone else!

I guess I just have very bad luck with this.

I just wanted to warn others not to leave anything out.

I spent an entire cruise looking at peoples feet to see if anyone was wearing my stolen sneakers.

I'm sure my custom orthotics were not comfortable for them.

No thefts for us but we do make good use of our cabin safe.

We do leave some dollar bills in our top drawer and they've never be taken.

Once lido deck a friend of ours sat his Yeti cup on the table while we were chatting and someone took it. None of the other regular containers were taken -- just his Yeti.

Well, I am usually good about the safe.

All my other costume jewelry was in the safe, but this particular necklace and bracelet were in a seperate box bc thats how I keep it at home.

The first day I left an expensive water bottle somewhere.

was also surprised no one turned it into lost and found.