Private Islands

We have always love HMC. Going to Princess Cays for first time in October and looking forward to it.

Always wondered why Carnival never developed its own private island

Not so much a private island, but they did build the ports at Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Mahogany Bay, and Puerta Maya in Cozumel that are only for Carnival Corp.

I don't think they have a need too. They own Princess so why not use their islands

Holland America actually owns HMC and they get first dibs on it. When a ship goes there they control all of the spending for the day so would think it would be very profitable to send more ships there.

Princess Cays doesn't compare to HMC, in my opinion. I've been to every cruise line private island (though some aren't actually islands) and regarding beaches, HMC is my favorite and Princess Cays is my least favorite.

Princess Cays doesn't compare to HMC, in my opinion. I've been to every cruise line private island (though some aren't actually islands) and regarding beaches, HMC is my favorite and Princess Cays is my least favorite.

Good to know! I also l like the one Norwegian owns where the ship docks right their and you can easily go back on the ship to grab lunch Can't think of the name right now.

The one down side to Carnival's/Holland America/Princess Islands are is that food isn't covered. That seems to be the case for Norwegian at least.

Good to know! I also l like the one Norwegian owns where the ship docks right their and you can easily go back on the ship to grab lunch Can't think of the name right now.

The one down side to Carnival's/Holland America/Princess Islands are is that food isn't covered. That seems to be the case for Norwegian at least.

NCL's Harvest Cay has a dock. Otherwise, RCI has a dock at Labadee and will soon have a dock at Coco Cay, and Disney has a dock at Castaway Cay.

I'm not sure what you mean about the food not being covered.

NCL's Harvest Cay has a dock. Otherwise, RCI has a dock at Labadee and will soon have a dock at Coco Cay, and Disney has a dock at Castaway Cay.

I'm not sure what you mean about the food not being covered.

Sorry I don't know why I said food. I mean drinks being covered. On Royal you can use your Drinks package on CoCo Cay. Not the case on Carnival you have to buy those drinks on their island.

Sorry I don't know why I said food. I mean drinks being covered. On Royal you can use your Drinks package on CoCo Cay. Not the case on Carnival you have to buy those drinks on their island.

Gotcha. Yeah, that's definitely a RCCL advantage.

I'll take tendering and go to Half Moon Cay. Best beach of any of the private islands (been to RCL's Labadee, both of NCL's, and Princess Cay), and food is included.

While Norwegian's Harvest Caye was very nice earlier this year, NO food is included on the island at all. Or drinks. Didn't care for that.

Half Moon Cay wins for me!

Just curious I keep seeing the mention of water shoes. On my next cruise we will be going to Nassau, HMC and grand turk.

I know to bring water shoes for me and kids at the Nassau excursion we are doing- it says so in the discription.

But will we need them at grand turk beach?? Also according to these comments it is not necessary at HMC?

I would perfer not to wear them at all, I loathe water shoes.

Almost to the Fun,

You wont need water shoes at Grand Turk. It’s pretty sandy. However you will need some kind of shoe (flip flops) to walk on the beach.

That is not totally true.

If you go into the water opposite the ship the bottom is very rocky and will need water shoes.

Go down the beach a ways towards Jacks shack and water shoes not necessary at all.

Holland America actually owns HMC and they get first dibs on it. When a ship goes there they control all of the spending for the day so would think it would be very profitable to send more ships there.

And guess who owns Holland America.......:D