Panama Canal from, Ft Lauderdale Florida to San Diego California recommended Tours

lillulu

Help Please! On the Volendamn

I've been reading through threads and noticed a lot of people have a lot of experience going on the Panama Canal itinerary For those that have. Please tell me what were the BEST shore excursions you would suggest. These are the ports,

Cartagena, Corinto, Puerto Quetzal, Huatulco, Puerto Vallarta, I have Costa Rica taken care of with other members on our ship. Just would like to hear from others who have done this itinerary before. Thank you in advance.

How about visiting the Ports of Call boards and doing your own research? That is a lot of ports to ask others to research for you. Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? What is BEST for one person may not appeal at all to another.

Help Please! On the Volendamn

I've been reading through threads and noticed a lot of people have a lot of experience going on the Panama Canal itinerary For those that have. Please tell me what were the BEST shore excursions you would suggest. These are the ports,

Cartagena, Corinto, Puerto Quetzal, Huatulco, Puerto Vallarta, I have Costa Rica taken care of with other members on our ship. Just would like to hear from others who have done this itinerary before. Thank you in advance.

Cartagena -- I did the National Aviary tour, which was really nice. However, if you just want some pics of pretty birds, there are a lot of them at the free visitor center/gift shop at the port.

Punta Arenas -- we did the scarlet macaw sanctuary and a mangrove cruise. Good tour. Note that at Punta Arenas, there is a really nice vendor area once you leave the port area (along the shore off to the left). Best and most reasonably priced souvenirs of the trip. Save some time to walk through there.

Corinto was scrubbed for us and several other ships this year due to political unrest.

Puerto Quetzal -- go to Antigua. I just purchased the bus transfer and did it on my own.

Huatulco -- I did a birding tour. Not horrible but I can't recommend that.

Puerto Vallarta -- We did a general tour of the city and environs. Okay. There's a Walmart right across the street from the port (note: crossing the street is like playing Frogger, even with walk signals). There's a souvenir section there. Less useful to you as a resupply stop (we did itinerary in the opposite direction).

Enjoy your cruise!

How about visiting the Ports of Call boards and doing your own research? That is a lot of ports to ask others to research for you. Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? What is BEST for one person may not appeal at all to another.

No need for a rude comment. I have been to each ports boards that I could find. But, I am a true believer if it is something I am interested in I'd like to hear from others as well. And hearing the BEST they have been on might be something that I would enjoy and recommend by a person from here. Is that not what this forum is about. Helping others. I have joined my roll call. In fact I have signed up with other passengers to do a private tour together. So for you to assume that I have not done my own research is not the case.

One thing my Mother taught me, if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all.

But, Thank you for your imput. Have a nice day.

Edited by lillulu

Cartagena -- I did the National Aviary tour, which was really nice. However, if you just want some pics of pretty birds, there are a lot of them at the free visitor center/gift shop at the port.

Punta Arenas -- we did the scarlet macaw sanctuary and a mangrove cruise. Good tour. Note that at Punta Arenas, there is a really nice vendor area once you leave the port area (along the shore off to the left). Best and most reasonably priced souvenirs of the trip. Save some time to walk through there.

Corinto was scrubbed for us and several other ships this year due to political unrest.

Puerto Quetzal -- go to Antigua. I just purchased the bus transfer and did it on my own.

Huatulco -- I did a birding tour. Not horrible but I can't recommend that.

Puerto Vallarta -- We did a general tour of the city and environs. Okay. There's a Walmart right across the street from the port (note: crossing the street is like playing Frogger, even with walk signals). There's a souvenir section there. Less useful to you as a resupply stop (we did itinerary in the opposite direction).

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for your kind response. I like some of the things you did and will seek further into them. I love your recommendations. I have printed it off to put with my notes, See it's things like this people don't know about unless other people share them. Punta Arenas is the one that I am doing with fellow cruisers here from CC. It's an 8 in 1 tour. So looking forward to it. I love the Walmart ideal, what a great fine. Thanks for sharing that. I've been eyeing the Antigua one. I was reading where a couple did it on their own. She had great suggestions in her blog. She did a whole write up of their trip. This is my first time sailing from one port and not returning to that same port. We tried to do this cruise before but on a different cruise line. My partner had a heart attack and we were taken off the ship in Santa Maria Columbia which was our very first port. It was a very scary time for us. He has since had heart surgery and we are trying to do the cruise again. It's been 2 years so we decided we wanted to try different ports that we have never been to before. And getting off in a different end port. We are so excited as is my daughter who will be sailing with me. She has Down Syndrome and enjoys cruising. I'm just a little nervous venturing out on our own when other people have not suggested it or done it. Which I think would be understandable for anyone.

Thank you again, I truly appreciate it.

What interests you? That is more likely to be the "best" for you.

Bruce we our adventourous and love to do all kinds of things. We have done Ziplining in Arenal Costa Rica (land vacation) to boating down a mangrove. I was just basically looking to see if anyone who has done this itinerary would just share what was the BEST excursion they had been on. Perhaps what they share might be something I have not come across or would really enjoy doing. Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. And telling you what we like would help. I never thought about that to be honest.

We did Panama Canal cruise last January and went to all of the ports you mentioned. We did ship's tours on all ports except for Puerto Vallarta, where we just took a taxi to Malecon and walked around.

You can see my quick reviews of the ports in my cruise review thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2597566

(See Post #12)

You can also read about our trip in my blog, if you're interested. Look for the "Ports" section. (Sorry, it's not complete.)

I don't know if the tours we did were the BEST, but we enjoyed them all.

We did Panama Canal cruise last January and went to all of the ports you mentioned. We did ship's tours on all ports except for Puerto Vallarta, where we just took a taxi to Malecon and walked around.

You can see my quick reviews of the ports in my cruise review thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2597566

(See Post #12)

You can also read about our trip in my blog, if you're interested. Look for the "Ports" section. (Sorry, it's not complete.)

I don't know if the tours we did were the BEST, but we enjoyed them all.

Thank you so much for the information. I am off to read it now. I really appreciate it.

Best was a three-in-one ship's tour in CostaRica -- yours sounds even better.

I've said that if we do the PC again it will be with HAL and have a stop in P.Quetzal, where we will go to Antigua... to get away from the humidity! I've seen the ship offer just the busride up there, with time on your own to wander before catching the bus back. There is a guidebook just for Antigua Guatemala you can find cheap on eBay.

I don't have a recommendation for most of the other ports, either because we didn't stop there or because what we did was "meh". PV we took the city bus to Malecon and walked, tipping the street performers and stopping near the end to drink margaritas under an umbrella in the sand.

I don't know where you are from, but for us Californians, just about everywhere stood out for heat and humidity (and we went 6-wks later in the year!). Take the lightest, most breathable clothing you have, and I've since learned of these neck-scarves with polymer beads sewn into them; you wet them and they evaporate to cool you. Light-colored umbrellas might help too!

Best was a three-in-one ship's tour in CostaRica -- yours sounds even better.

I've said that if we do the PC again it will be with HAL and have a stop in P.Quetzal, where we will go to Antigua... to get away from the humidity! I've seen the ship offer just the busride up there, with time on your own to wander before catching the bus back. There is a guidebook just for Antigua Guatemala you can find cheap on eBay.

I don't have a recommendation for most of the other ports, either because we didn't stop there or because what we did was "meh". PV we took the city bus to Malecon and walked, tipping the street performers and stopping near the end to drink margaritas under an umbrella in the sand.

I don't know where you are from, but for us Californians, just about everywhere stood out for heat and humidity (and we went 6-wks later in the year!). Take the lightest, most breathable clothing you have, and I've since learned of these neck-scarves with polymer beads sewn into them; you wet them and they evaporate to cool you. Light-colored umbrellas might help too!

Thank you for your response. My plan is to go to Antiqua. I guess we will take the ships shuttle tour they are offering where you ride and do the tour on your own. I printed off some things from another cruisers blog. Sounded like they had a wonderful time.

We've been to Guatemala before year's ago, and took a wonderful tour through the ship we were on. So, never seen much. Just what we saw from the big bus and when they stopped at the places for our tour. It was awesome when we were leaving port. It was their end of the season. All the taxi's lined up at the port and turned their headlights on and blew their horns while waving at us. I have never seen anything like this before. It was cool.

I am from Georgia. Looking forward to being in San Diego at the end. I lived in Glendale as a little girl. I really don't remember much. My parents moved back to Michigan when I was 5. I've seen home movies of us at Disney Land, Knox berry farm, and the San Diego Zoo. Some park they took us to and of course the beach. They even took us on the mountain when it snowed and we sledded. I've lost both of my parents, and my God parents (who still lived in San Diego). I never got to meet them when I got older. Sure wish I would of gotten to.

So, with that being said. I'm not just looking forward to this cruise but getting to see what I don't remember as a grown up with my child.

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it.

Well, coming from Georgia, it may not be so very oppressive to you! (If you can really get used to it...) Bring to wear, what you would in the "worst" summer heat and humidity. I got by, by ignoring the wilting signals my body was sending me! And drinking more fluids than it felt like I needed.

Don't want to jinx your cruise -- very many things were interesting and enjoyable. The umbrella helped!

OP: we did a full transit of the Canal nearly two years ago on NCL (Miami to LA) and also visited each of the ports you have mentioned. I have a full review of that trip at the following link, with details about the shore excursions we took in those ports. (Photos also, but "thanks" to Photo Bucket, you may no longer be able to see them all.)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456255

Here's a very quick summary:

Cartagena: we toured with Dora (aka Dora the Explorer); she's highly recommended here on CC, and for good reason

Corinto: not so many options here; I took a ship's tour to León to see the white Cathedral with its very interesting roof

Puerto Quetzal: we took the "Antigua on Your Own Tour" through the ship. This is transportation to and from Antigua. I think pretty much all of the cruise lines provide this, and I would highly recommend doing this

Huatulco -- for us, this was our fifth port in five days after the Canal, and we needed a break from touring; there are a number of beach options here; we just walked off the ship and onto the beach that is next to the dock. Plenty of bars/restaurants that will rent you a chair and give you a good lunch. It was a terrifically relaxing, beautiful day

Puerto Vallarta -- since it was early Feb., we went whale watching. We did that in Cabo, too, on the same trip, and Cabo was a much better place for it. (Awesome, actually.) If we were in PV again, I think we would just spend time on the Malecón.

You didn't ask, but I highly recommend reading The Path Between the Seas before you go (if you haven't done so already).

Going through the Canal is amazing; have a great trip!

Well, coming from Georgia, it may not be so very oppressive to you! (If you can really get used to it...) Bring to wear, what you would in the "worst" summer heat and humidity. I got by, by ignoring the wilting signals my body was sending me! And drinking more fluids than it felt like I needed.

Don't want to jinx your cruise -- very many things were interesting and enjoyable. The umbrella helped!

No, we don't need no jinx. The last time we tried to do the PC which was going out of FT Lauderdale but returning back to FT Lauderdale. My guy friend had a heart attack before we made it to our first port. We were taken off the ship in Santa Maria Columbia. It was a mom and pop urgent care they sent us to. At midnight when (they said it would be safe to travel) we were taken to Barranquilla Colombia to a hospital. We were there for 7 days with him in the ICU before we could be flown back state side. Norwegian did not treat us right. I ended up getting scammed and finally got the US Embassy involved just to get us back state side. My insurance company sent in an On Call Nurse who assessed him and they did a conference call with the drs in the states to get us home. So, I didn't get to see much of Columbia. An to be honest, I really thought I was not going to be bringing him home like he came. He was not looking good. Stress level was soooo high. And here I am with my handicapped child being told, you can't walk those 4 blocks to the hospital. It's not safe and they can do what they want and no one will do anything. It was crazy.

We have waited 2 years to try and do this cruise again. And we went big this time. Since we are going to end in San Diego. I'm so excited I just can't stand it.

We are thinking of renting a car and driving down the coast to San Francisco so I can go to Alcatraz and see the Golden Gate Bridge, then back to San Diego to see some sights before we leave to head back to FT Lauderdale then drive home.

I think we will have enough time. We get off the ship on November 3rd. And we don't fly back to FLL until November 7th.

Thanks for any and all advise you can give. I appreciate it.

OP: we did a full transit of the Canal nearly two years ago on NCL (Miami to LA) and also visited each of the ports you have mentioned. I have a full review of that trip at the following link, with details about the shore excursions we took in those ports. (Photos also, but "thanks" to Photo Bucket, you may no longer be able to see them all.)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456255

Here's a very quick summary:

Cartagena: we toured with Dora (aka Dora the Explorer); she's highly recommended here on CC, and for good reason

Corinto: not so many options here; I took a ship's tour to León to see the white Cathedral with its very interesting roof

Puerto Quetzal: we took the "Antigua on Your Own Tour" through the ship. This is transportation to and from Antigua. I think pretty much all of the cruise lines provide this, and I would highly recommend doing this

Huatulco -- for us, this was our fifth port in five days after the Canal, and we needed a break from touring; there are a number of beach options here; we just walked off the ship and onto the beach that is next to the dock. Plenty of bars/restaurants that will rent you a chair and give you a good lunch. It was a terrifically relaxing, beautiful day

Puerto Vallarta -- since it was early Feb., we went whale watching. We did that in Cabo, too, on the same trip, and Cabo was a much better place for it. (Awesome, actually.) If we were in PV again, I think we would just spend time on the Malecón.

You didn't ask, but I highly recommend reading The Path Between the Seas before you go (if you haven't done so already).

Going through the Canal is amazing; have a great trip!

Ohhhh Thank you soooo much. I am heading to read it now. Beach days sound wonderful to me. Since we are taking the Highlights of Costa Rica, 8 in 1 Tour with fellow ship mates in our Roll Call. I've seen others refer to the book. I am going looking for it this weekend so I can get started. I've heard of Dora. We actually met a couple when we ended up in Columbia who drove from Cartegena to the hospital. They work with the US embassy helping people like us who get sick. They were wonderful. Dan sent me a write up if they are not around of what we could do. (Just curious) How long was Dora's tour and how many people did she take in a group? I am going to look at what the ship is offering in Corinto. Puerto Vallarta, I've always wanted to see so looking for something to do there. Being were there in Oct/Nov we might not be able to do whale watching.

Thanks for all the tips and advise. I appreciate it.

Since we are going to end in San Diego. I'm so excited I just can't stand it.

We are thinking of renting a car and driving down the coast to San Francisco so I can go to Alcatraz and see the Golden Gate Bridge, then back to San Diego to see some sights before we leave to head back to FT Lauderdale then drive home.

I think we will have enough time. We get off the ship on November 3rd. And we don't fly back to FLL until November 7th.

Thanks for any and all advise you can give. I appreciate it.

Yikes, that is a LONG drive from San Diego to San Francisco. Google says 7 h 47 min (501.8 mi). That's the driving time, no breaks, in the best traffic which you may or may not hit. On I-5 which spends very little time along the coast. Basically a boring drive, all day up all day back, for one day to see things in SF.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. San Diego has plenty of things in and around it to occupy your time. I can list some and here is a thread where they are discussed:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2675839

Hey, I'm glad you are getting to do this dream trip!

Yikes, that is a LONG drive from San Diego to San Francisco. Google says 7 h 47 min (501.8 mi). That's the driving time, no breaks, in the best traffic which you may or may not hit. On I-5 which spends very little time along the coast. Basically a boring drive, all day up all day back, for one day to see things in SF.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. San Diego has plenty of things in and around it to occupy your time. I can list some and here is a thread where they are discussed:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2675839

Hey, I'm glad you are getting to do this dream trip!

Thanks Crystalspin!! Going to go look at it now. He's a truck driver. He said he didn't have a problem driving it if I wanted to go lol......I did look at a flight. $130.00 a person from San Diego to San Francisco. I thought I-5 was a coastal drive over looking the water. Guess not huh?

Thanks Crystalspin!! Going to go look at it now. He's a truck driver. He said he didn't have a problem driving it if I wanted to go lol......I did look at a flight. $130.00 a person from San Diego to San Francisco. I thought I-5 was a coastal drive over looking the water. Guess not huh?

Some parts of it, down south, are near enough to the ocean to see it, but above Camp Pendleton and San Onofre, the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) splits off and hugs the coast (and goes slowly through all the beach towns and cities), while I-5 becomes a thorough-fare carrying 1000's of commuters and trucks, etc.

I'm two hours/100 miles north of San Diego and we NEVER drive to San Francisco. We drove to Sacramento once and then on up to visit my husband's sisters (one and then the other) and it was awful!

We did tow our travel trailer right through SF, paying the highest toll of my life, but we did it in three legs just to get that far, with stayovers at two places south of there.

For conferences and the like, we fly to SFO or Oakland.

Another SoCal (native) here and I totally agree with CrystalSpin. If you really want to see San Fran, how about driving up as you mentioned, but flying home from there?

And instead of 5 north of LA, take PCH as a couple day coast hugging scenic drive? Stop along the way in Morro Bay, see Hearst Castle, coastal redwoods, Carmel, then a night in SF.

Another SoCal (native) here and I totally agree with CrystalSpin. If you really want to see San Fran, how about driving up as you mentioned, but flying home from there?

And instead of 5 north of LA, take PCH as a couple day coast hugging scenic drive? Stop along the way in Morro Bay, see Hearst Castle, coastal redwoods, Carmel, then a night in SF.

I got a little chuckle at this as, he called me and told me to do just that. Change our flight from San Fran back to FT Lauderdale. At least one of us's brain is working. lol.....Thaanks Tiogacruiser, Appreciate the help.

Some parts of it, down south, are near enough to the ocean to see it, but above Camp Pendleton and San Onofre, the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) splits off and hugs the coast (and goes slowly through all the beach towns and cities), while I-5 becomes a thorough-fare carrying 1000's of commuters and trucks, etc.

I'm two hours/100 miles north of San Diego and we NEVER drive to San Francisco. We drove to Sacramento once and then on up to visit my husband's sisters (one and then the other) and it was awful!

We did tow our travel trailer right through SF, paying the highest toll of my life, but we did it in three legs just to get that far, with stayovers at two places south of there.

For conferences and the like, we fly to SFO or Oakland.

Hey Crystalspin,

Thanks for that info. Between him and Tiogacruiser they got me on track on what we need to do. Gosh they are so smart. lol I don't know why I didn't think of it to be honest. I think because, we originally were flying home when we got off the ship because he had not gotten that week off work yet. Then they approved it and so I came up with my plan. But, I think this last one will work just great!

Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate all of you on this board. So helpful. And usually most think of something others don't. Like me ;p;p;p

Aha, I had thought of your flight back as set in stone, too. So glad the hive-mind has come up with the perfect trip for you both! Enjoy!

LOL....I didn't know it but. If you fly on Southwest airlines you can change your flight without a penalty.(He knew this evidently, I didn't, I've never flown with them before). And it was so easy to do. I set it up today. We are actually going to fly back out of San Jose CA. Reason being is, it was the cheapest of the 3 airports by San Fran.

So, I rented a car to drive from San Diego to San Francisco. We are going to take my daughter to the San Diego Zoo. Unless we change our minds and see something different. (Any recommended places to see or stay in the area?) Then take our time driving down the coast.

Going to go to Alcatraz and to see the Golden gate bridge. I have from November 3rd when we get off the ship until November 6th to see what I want. That gives us 4 days to see and do stuff. We fly out at 1:05 PM back to FT Lauderdale November 7th.. And we will drive back to GA November 8th.

I'm so excited! I can wait to set sail!

The zoo is the biggest thing to see and I mean, it is BIG. It can easily take a day or at least the remainder of the day you get off the ship. Be sure to get the map and plan your route through the grounds! There is a monorail or trolley that will take you to the highest point, saving you the climb, and buses that you can hop-on-hop-off to save your feet some more.

The zoo is the one thing I took my dad and step-mom to when they came to California from New York State! That was their choice when presented with all the good things I could think of in San Diego... like reading the suggestions in that thread I linked to above.

I'm sure your daughter will love it! And yourselves.

The zoo is the biggest thing to see and I mean, it is BIG. It can easily take a day or at least the remainder of the day you get off the ship. Be sure to get the map and plan your route through the grounds! There is a monorail or trolley that will take you to the highest point, saving you the climb, and buses that you can hop-on-hop-off to save your feet some more.

The zoo is the one thing I took my dad and step-mom to when they came to California from New York State! That was their choice when presented with all the good things I could think of in San Diego... like reading the suggestions in that thread I linked to above.

I'm sure your daughter will love it! And yourselves.

Yes, we definitely thought the Zoo would be a good choice for her since Alcatraz might not excite her. But I want to make sure she has fun as well as letting Mom see some things that she wants to see. I really appreciate every thing you shared. I think those links will help others as well as they did me.

Thanks!!