Disembark at port before final destination?

sonavogel

Different but related question- any experience with taking off your luggage then reboarding and continuing on to final destination? We dock in the city I live in then go another sea day and then disembark the following day. I would like to be able to fly home unencumbered by luggage.

You should start a new thread to ask this, because many will see the title of this one and not open. this question has been asked before, and some relate success, others not. I believe if you ask on the ship, people have been told no. It might seem like they are trying to avoid customs. Peple trying to mail souvenirs home...even people trying to take off dirty laundry and go to a laundromat...EM

You should start a new thread to ask this, because many will see the title of this one and not open. this question has been asked before, and some relate success, others not. I believe if you ask on the ship, people have been told no. It might seem like they are trying to avoid customs. Peple trying to mail souvenirs home...even people trying to take off dirty laundry and go to a laundromat...EM
On a trans Atlantic last year several people wanted to leave in the Orlando cruise stop rather than continue to Miami. We had already stopped at Boston and NY. I believe I read on the roll call that they were first denied and then told they could for $75 to pay the agents that needed to be there. If this is correct, I would definitely call the cruise line ahead of time to let them know your interest. They may need to have a certain number of people to make this economically feasable.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Forums mobile app

So my cruise buddies and I were discussing this very scenario yesterday.And this is a two part question from a cruising newbie..

We're sailing on the Pearl to Alaska roundtrip from Seattle in September. The last port is Victoria BC. However, the arrival in port is 6pm, and the departure is 11:59pm. If it takes two hours to disembark, and you're supposed to be back onboard two hours prior to sailing, then the total available time in port is less than two hours? Am I correct? What's the point of even trying to get off the ship in this case?

So, to the topic at hand, We're all US citizens, if we were to intentionally permanently disembark in the Canadian port, we could book a hotel and then spend the following day in Victoria to enjoy high tea, Butchart Gardens, etc, before boarding a ferry to Seattle which would return us about 5 blocks from Pier 66 where we'd otherwise have disembarked.

Would we need to clear Canadian Customs beyond any routine screening people visiting the port and returning to the ship would encounter? If we disembarked with only carry-ons (backpacks) leaving our suitcases (packed) onboard, would the suitcases be offloaded for us in Victoria, or would they sail onto for us to claim upon returning to Seattle? Or would we be required to remove all luggage in Victoria?

Obviously, per prior comments in this thread, we would advise the cruise line of our intentions. Any other caveats to be aware of?

So my cruise buddies and I were discussing this very scenario yesterday.And this is a two part question from a cruising newbie..

We're sailing on the Pearl to Alaska roundtrip from Seattle in September. The last port is Victoria BC. However, the arrival in port is 6pm, and the departure is 11:59pm. If it takes two hours to disembark, and you're supposed to be back onboard two hours prior to sailing, then the total available time in port is less than two hours? Am I correct? What's the point of even trying to get off the ship in this case? In Victoria 2 weeks ago on a round trip Seattle trip passengers just walked off the ship for a 7 pm to midnight port stop. I presume that is because Canadian authorities had cleared them by going over the manifest, etc. before the ship docked - if I remember correctly that was the same procedure when we had a full day in Victoria in 2012.

So, to the topic at hand, We're all US citizens, if we were to intentionally permanently disembark in the Canadian port, we could book a hotel and then spend the following day in Victoria to enjoy high tea, Butchart Gardens, etc, before boarding a ferry to Seattle which would return us about 5 blocks from Pier 66 where we'd otherwise have disembarked.

Would we need to clear Canadian Customs beyond any routine screening people visiting the port and returning to the ship would encounter? If we disembarked with only carry-ons (backpacks) leaving our suitcases (packed) onboard, would the suitcases be offloaded for us in Victoria, or would they sail onto for us to claim upon returning to Seattle? Or would we be required to remove all luggage in Victoria? You need to clear this with the cruise line - they will tell you if it is possible or not. Please do not just walk off the ship and not return. Think of your fellow cruisers, many of whom will already be in bed at midnight when the repeated announcements searching for you over the PA systems will come into every cabin!

Obviously, per prior comments in this thread, we would advise the cruise line of our intentions. Any other caveats to be aware of?

See my comments in red. Have a great cruise!