End of the first day feeling like the last day

This is more of a psychology question than a cruise-specific question, since I experienced a similar feeling on land vacations, but anyway...

Both times I cruised so far, I found myself having a very weird feeling at the end of the first day. Usually after the dinner and show, when I'm putzing around the deck or looking at the ocean, passing time before the club gets going. I basically feel like this is the last day, rather than the first day. Like, this is the final night of the cruise, and I'm getting in a few last hurrahs before tomorrow's debarkation. Conversing with new people on the deck seems to intensify the feeling. Even though I logically know I still have a whole cruise (minus one day) ahead of me.

It's a weird feeling that's almost impossible to shake. It doesn't fully go away until next morning, when I wake up and realize I don't have to debark just yet. :) (Well, if it's a port day, I do have to debark in a way, but only until I'm due to return.) Then it comes back with a vengeance on the actual last night of the cruise. :)

I think it happens because the first day is so packed and hectic. First off, I always wake up too early when sleeping in the pre-cruise hotel. (And I won't take sleep aids, so I don't oversleep.) Which leads to a longer, more tiring day. Second, I have to hustle my way to the ship, then get slammed with a plethora of new sights, sounds, and experiences. Third, I meet lots and lots of new people; some are momentary encounters, while others lead to hanging out the next few days. So by the time the day is done, I've gone through more new experiences than in the whole week on land. Hence, the feeling.

Anyone else get the same feeling at the end of the first day on your cruise?

What you might consider doing is not unpacking. Maybe it is the time with your luggage that does it. Just work out of the suticases!

Jim

That's what I do anyway. I always had forward cabins (they're cheaper on Carnival ships), and due to how the ships are built, there's a huge ledge in front of the portholes, big enough for a full-grown man to fit on. I always dumped my suitcase on the ledge, and pulled clothes out of it as I needed them. The only things I actually unpacked are toiletries and nice clothes I wore to dinner.

I found myself having a very weird feeling at the end of the first day. Anyone else get the same feeling at the end of the first day on your cruise?

Take a 6 month long world cruise....bet you won't have anymore trouble with that feeling! ;p

On my last cruise was the first time the first night didn't feel right. I was scared that this one wasn't going to be good. By the time the second day hit, boy was I wrong. The last day always sucks, no matter the vacation. I never want to leave.

On my last cruise was the first time the first night didn't feel right. I was scared that this one wasn't going to be good.

Interesting... :confused: My own feeling was never anything ominous like you're describing; simply that it's the last day of the cruise. One thing that intensified it for some reason, is conversing with new people on the deck. What do you think triggered the ominous feeling for you? Was it the pitch darkness of the ocean?

Come to think of it, I do remember flying into Miami for my first cruise, and being greeted by a dark sky and pouring rain. My initial thought was: "Gee, a man flies across the country to cruise, and this is how you welcome him!" :)

I have a similar feeling - it’s probably because I spend so long getting excited for the cruise, and then ‘oh it’s here and 1 day has already gone’ hits me and I feel really disappointed that it’s almost over!

• Like 2

Sorry, but never once had that feeling on any cruise on any night, other than the actual last night. But I also don't consciously count how many days have gone by and how many are left. In fact I always dislike when RCI has the name of each day in the carpet panel of the elevators change every day. That provides an unnecessary reminder, especially when others in the elevator make the comment of "darn, it's already '___day', only 'x' days to go......"

You've been anticipating your cruise, and now, YOU'RE ON IT! You suddenly realize that there is no more anticipation...it's happening, and will be over before you know it. I get it.

That is ever so close to how I feel. It doesn't help that I take a daily pill container, and at the end of that first night I have an empty space.

It's a long time coming, but a short duration once it's here.

I have a similar feeling - it’s probably because I spend so long getting excited for the cruise, and then ‘oh it’s here and 1 day has already gone’ hits me and I feel really disappointed that it’s almost over!

Rather agree with the above!

While it's never been a problem for us, we've had others tell us that the first day is already over and only have x days left.

• Like 1

I feel like maybe because you've anticipated it for a while, and once you're on it, well... it's that much closer to being over!

In my case, I feel like I want to see and do everything onboard the first day so that "go go go" could have something to do with it.

For the most part though, what I love is that feeling of "time standing still" during most of the cruise. Until I'm packing that last night of course!

Edited by welove2cruise2014

In fact I always dislike when RCI has the name of each day in the carpet panel of the elevators change every day.
I only sailed on CCL so far. On my cruises, no one really used the "outside world's" calendar. People kept track of the days by the ship's itinerary, such as "port X", "port Y", or "sea day". The regular calendar, even the day of the week, didn't matter until debarkation. It was listed on the daily schedule, known as "Fun Times", but mostly got ignored, it seemed.

In my case, I feel like I want to see and do everything onboard the first day so that "go go go" could have something to do with it.
I think you nailed it. The first day on the cruise tends to be so action packed, that it almost feels like the entire cruise. As for why talking to new people intensifies the feeling, I have yet to figure out. Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I think you nailed it. The first day on the cruise tends to be so action packed, that it almost feels like the entire cruise. As for why talking to new people intensifies the feeling, I have yet to figure out.

I guess maybe it has to do with how one cruises. As I said before, I've never had the "first day is the last day" feeling on any cruise, but certainly our early few cruises were centered around doing many shipboard activities and making sure nothing was missed to do on any given day - starting with the first. So maybe in that respect the days tend to countdown with the checklist of each daily activity.

After cruising for many years we rarely do anything on board but relax - starting with the first day - and often stay on board in certain ports of call, and never do ship based excursions preferring to do the ports of call sightseeing on our own. So no real schedules or timetables by which to measure each day.

We understand some of the feelings experienced by the OP. After more than 40 years of extensive cruising we have developed our own routine which seems to mitigate what we used to call the first and last day blues :). That embarkation day can really by trying and takes us all out of our norms. So we now treat the first day almost like a sea day. In nearly all cases we will be in the port city at least one day early so, like the OP, we wake up in a hotel. It is then time for a long breakfast and some relaxation time before leaving for the port. We prefer to be among the first on a ship (we often get priority) so will generally try to arrive at the port around 11:15.

Once on the ship we immediately get into our routine. First it is lunch, preferably in a dining room or alternative restaurant if that is an option. Our idea is to avoid that first lunch buffet crush. After lunch we go to our cabin (if possible) and change into our swim wear (packed in the carry-on). Then its out to a deck chair where we spend the next couple of hours just relaxing, having a drink, reading, and people watching. We can explore the ship later, but now its just relax and take a breath. About an hour before the muster drill we head to the cabin and unpack (hopefully). Then its off to the drill. After the drill its back to the cabin to relax, shower, and take another breath. Then its off for a pre-dinner cocktail (or two) and finally we head to dinner around 7:30 (we always book open dining schemes). On some cruises we will book an alternative restaurant that first night which keeps us away from the first night madness in the MDR.

After dinner its off to a lounge (we love piano bars) for some more relaxation. We seldom go to the first night shows which we usually find boring. Having been on far more then 100 cruises we think the Welcome Aboard speeches are just more of the same.

The last morning we try to book an early afternoon flight so we do not have to rush off the vessel. We start with a relaxing breakfast (room service if on HAL) and them back to the cabin to get our carry-off stuff. Then it will usually be up to the pool deck where we relax in a lounger with some coffee (if we can find any). While everyone is fighting the crowds, waiting for elevators, standing in Queues...we are relaxing on deck and reading our books. Around 9:30 - 10....when just about everyone is off the ship we depart the ship, pick up our luggage, breeze through the formalities (no lines) and grab a taxi. Its all good.

Hank

I haven't experienced that sensation of first day/last day so much but, something a bit similar. As the cruise embarkation date finally approaches within days, I know the time on board will fly by in comparison the long haul it took to get to that point. In as much as I want to get a board and start the cruise I almost wish there were a few more days to wait to savor the excitement of going on a cruise.

Jonathan

We understand some of the feelings experienced by the OP. After more than 40 years of extensive cruising we have developed our own routine which seems to mitigate what we used to call the first and last day blues :). That embarkation day can really by trying and takes us all out of our norms. So we now treat the first day almost like a sea day. In nearly all cases we will be in the port city at least one day early so, like the OP, we wake up in a hotel. It is then time for a long breakfast and some relaxation time before leaving for the port. We prefer to be among the first on a ship (we often get priority) so will generally try to arrive at the port around 11:15.
My first day's routine goes something like this.

3:00 AM: Lapse in and out of sleep, try to make sense of where I am (geographically), and brush off the weird cruise-related dreams I keep having.

6:00 AM: Give up trying to fall asleep again. SS&S, get dressed, eat breakfast.

8:30 AM: Walk around outside, enjoying the balmy air, the new wildlife (like pelicans), and the empty streets.

10:30 AM: Pack up my bags, then get on the hotel shuttle to the port.

12:30 PM: ON THE SHIP! Putz around the lido deck until my cabin opens. Go to the MDR to look at my assigned table. Have my first drink. Take pictures of everything.

2:00 PM: Offload my backpack in the cabin. Have a late lunch and another drink.

4:00 PM: Dance up a storm at the sail-away party. Walk around the ship everywhere. Read the Fun Times.

8:00 PM: Have dinner. Make friends with my tablemates. See the Welcome Aboard show.

10:30 PM: Putz around the lido deck again. Look at the dark ocean. Try to spot other ships. This is where the "It's the last day!" feeling really hits.

11:30 PM: Chug a beer or two at the nearest bar. Go to the dance club. Find women to dance with.

2:00 AM: Off to bed. Get lulled to sleep by the movement of the ship.

7:00 AM: Wake up in my cabin. Realize that it's not debarkation time just yet. :D

I haven't experienced that sensation of first day/last day so much but, something a bit similar. As the cruise embarkation date finally approaches within days, I know the time on board will fly by in comparison the long haul it took to get to that point. In as much as I want to get a board and start the cruise I almost wish there were a few more days to wait to savor the excitement of going on a cruise.
The day in the embarkation city before the cruise does that for me. It's that in-between state: I'm already there, and yet I'm not; my routine already changed, and yet I'm still in waiting mode. Being solo, I generally passed the pre-cruise day by walking around outside, enjoying the warm Florida weather, sitting on Cruise Critic on any computer I can find, and calling my friends and family back home to humblebrag. The only negative part was crossing the streets as a pedestrian, because drivers.

I always feel that the anticipation of the cruise and all the planning that goes with it beforehand, is almost as much fun, but not quite:), as the cruise itself. So it can be a letdown for you once you're onboard. It may be hard for you to wind down and relax at first.

Edited by DKane
grammar - changed your to you're

I think I have a little bit of that feeling too...

I think it is:

1--exhaustion. Traveling wears on a person

2--The first day activities are a bit subdued, much like the last days, thus the similar feeling. Plus those are the days you are more "packed" (I'm talking suitcases), so you aren't really in the cruise groove yet.

I think I have a little bit of that feeling too...

I think it is:

1--exhaustion. Traveling wears on a person

2--The first day activities are a bit subdued, much like the last days, thus the similar feeling. Plus those are the days you are more "packed" (I'm talking suitcases), so you aren't really in the cruise groove yet.

"Exhaustion" is right. But my first day didn't feel very subdued. If anything, it was very action-packed. From seeing my ship for the first time, to talking to tons of new people, to dancing at sail-away, to meeting my tablemates, to watching the wakes behind the ship. But I do get what you're saying: your mind hasn't switched into full "cruise mode" yet, and in a way, subconsciously wants out.

"Exhaustion" is right. But my first day didn't feel very subdued. If anything, it was very action-packed. From seeing my ship for the first time, to talking to tons of new people, to dancing at sail-away, to meeting my tablemates, to watching the wakes behind the ship. But I do get what you're saying: your mind hasn't switched into full "cruise mode" yet, and in a way, subconsciously wants out.

...I think you just need to cruise more often. Whatever it is you're feeling (which absolutely no offense intended, but sorry I just don't get) will likely subside over time with more cruises under your belt. You may start to lose that feeling and maybe just start to relax with your cruising.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You've been anticipating your cruise, and now, YOU'RE ON IT! You suddenly realize that there is no more anticipation...it's happening, and will be over before you know it. I get it.

I think this is your best answer, in a nutshell...

By the way, you know what the best way to overcome the "PCDS", (Post Cruise Depression Syndrome) is? Simple.

Have another cruise (or more), already booked. Knowing that, may take some of the edge of your feeling...;):)