Need Paris hotel advice

love to cruz

We will be staying in Paris for several days before a British Isles cruise next August. My 85 year old mother in law will be traveling with us. We would like a convenient location so that we wouldn't have to do a whole lot of walking. Plus, having a HOHO stop near our hotel would be perfect. Any suggestions?:)

If you want to visit sites within easy reach of the River Seine, then tickets for the Bateau Bus river taxis are really good. It's a hop on, hop off service across 9 stops - Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame etc.

The Paris Metro is our all time favourite subway system. Add the RER to that and you have a first class public transportation system that is easy to use.

IF you decide to take RER from CDG to Paris try and have some coins available. Sometimes there is a line up to buy RER tickets at the CDG stop but there is seldom a line at the self serve machines. These machines only take coins. Or at least this was the case when we last used the RER at CDG.

We made a mistake last time and just hopped on the Air France bus to Montparnasse. Problem was that Putin or someone was in town and traffic was a zoo. That is a huge benefit to using RER over bus or taxi. It can be much faster during rush hour or during special events.

We will be staying in Paris for several days before a British Isles cruise next August. My 85 year old mother in law will be traveling with us. We would like a convenient location so that we wouldn't have to do a whole lot of walking. Plus, having a HOHO stop near our hotel would be perfect. Any suggestions?:)

Have a look at hotels in the 1st Arondissement- you can't get more central & walkable than this. Look at hotels near rue de Faubourg St Honore and the Rue Rivoli if you want to be near the Louvre and some nice restaurants. The Hotel Castiglione is pleasant and worth a Google.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been looking at hotels in Paris for weeks now and finally made a decision to stay in Saint Germain De Pres, I booked La Villa Saint Germain on Rue Jacob (near Cafe De Flore). I was debating between Saint Germain and the 1st Arrondisment and finally made my decision. This will be my 2nd time in Paris, I was there over 40 years ago, so it's pretty much like my first time again.

Hubby and I will be there for 4 nights next May and I'm open to any and all suggestions of places to eat, the best way to get to Versailles. We aren't big museum people, of course we'd like to see Mona at the Louve but we don't want to spend the entire day there. I'm thinking of buying the Paris pass for the museums, has anyone done that? We also would love to take a boat ride on the Seine in the evening.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been looking at hotels in Paris for weeks now and finally made a decision to stay in Saint Germain De Pres, I booked La Villa Saint Germain on Rue Jacob (near Cafe De Flore). I was debating between Saint Germain and the 1st Arrondisment and finally made my decision. This will be my 2nd time in Paris, I was there over 40 years ago, so it's pretty much like my first time again.

Hubby and I will be there for 4 nights next May and I'm open to any and all suggestions of places to eat, the best way to get to Versailles. We aren't big museum people, of course we'd like to see Mona at the Louve but we don't want to spend the entire day there. I'm thinking of buying the Paris pass for the museums, has anyone done that? We also would love to take a boat ride on the Seine in the evening.

We do not know your hotel (there are thousands of hotels throughout Paris) but we do know St Germain des Pres, Rue Jacob and the 6th. You have chosen our favorite neighborhood and you are going to find all kinds of interesting cafes, restaurants and shops in your neck of the woods. Not sure about the Paris pass as you need to look at the cost/benefit against what you plan on doing during the stay. Hope you love the Left Bank as much as we do :).

Hank

Nee Paris????

What are you trying to say?

You might want to look up the meaning of the word "Nee" in French.

It's a bit of Franglais - you know the last letter in French is rarely, if ever, pronounced - so why bother typing it when we all know the real word is 'Need' ...

BTW, I looked up the meaning of 'Nee' in French - but it was no help because it's my hips that are giving me problems ...

Je suis nee un con - et j'en suis fier (I was born an idiot and I am proud of it ...) :):)

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting thread, read through it, we have been to Paris many times maybe 12+ over past 30 years. Early on we walked all day for hours... now we are much older we can't do that any more. We have never used the subway... either walked or took a taxis. We also have always stayed out at ORLY or Charles De Guall airports at either the Hilton or Hyatt hotels. Did so because saved a lot of money. We have always taken the airport bus in and out of the city... spend the day and then head back to our hotel for the evening. We always picnic in the city... love shopping at the street markets in the city. My dh is originally from Paris, so speaks French and understand the culture. On our last visit I discovered now days when giving direction to taxi driver one needs to give them a street address vs cross streets, since they all use GPS. We do like being out at CDG Airport for checking our flight back to the states, morning traffic can be a night mare if there are accidents, if you are trying to get to the airport to catch a flight. We have gotten off ships in La Harve, taken the tour bus from the ship into Paris and then a taxi to our hotel. We always travel with a lot of luggage as we visit family in Europe along the way, so taxi works best for us.

Pris, I found your post most interesting. There are plenty of reasonable cost hotels and short-term apartment rentals in Paris (cheaper than the Hilton by CDG) and I cannot imagine being being out near the airport at dinner time (we have spent our share of time at airport hotels near CDG). Personally, we avoid US Chains like Hilton when in Europe as we prefer something more European in style. Like you, we sometimes stay near the airport if we have an early morning flight. Otherwise, no way would we miss the charm of Paris in the evening. After all, strolling and having dinner at a cute place in St Germain des Pres....is much different then the places near CDG.

Hank

• 5 months later...

So glad to have found this thread as we are planning to stay in Paris post cruise in September. The two friends who have been there both touted the 5th arrondissment/Latin Quarter. We have been lost trying to figure out where to pick. It will be 6 nights, but arriving late by train and leaving at 10 am by plane on the last day. Appreciate any other suggestions, particularly favorite hotels of moderate price in this area

Thanks in advance.

So glad to have found this thread as we are planning to stay in Paris post cruise in September. The two friends who have been there both touted the 5th arrondissment/Latin Quarter. We have been lost trying to figure out where to pick. It will be 6 nights, but arriving late by train and leaving at 10 am by plane on the last day. Appreciate any other suggestions, particularly favorite hotels of moderate price in this area

Thanks in advance.

In the 5th we have enjoyed staying at the Hotel Grandes Ecoles. This is in a semi-residential neighborhood near the Rue Mouffetard. But we would caution you to look this place up on the Internet and read the various reviews. While its popular with those in the know, it is not the right hotel for everyone.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found this thread by chance. Just (lees than 1 month) back from 8 days in Paris. Stayed at the cutest boutique hotel, pretty reasonably priced for Paris too. Hotel Jardin Le Brea Less than 500 steps from hotel to the metro PLATFORM of the Vavin station, local buses and RER are also convenient. We walked to many locations too, including the Eiffel Tower, and we’re both on the heavier side but still mobile.

We loved the staff and the location-I’d recommend this hotel in a heart. beat.

Now onto planning for next year’s cruise. [emoji39]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We came back from Paris about 2 weeks ago. We loved staying in Saint Germain, it was very convenient. Our hotel (La Villa Saint Germain) was only 2 blocks from the Seine and the Louvre was right across the river. We did a lot of walking, as people have said Paris is a very walkable city. We were fortunate to be there when the weather was so amazing, cold mornings, but warmed up by noon to temps that were comfortable for walking all day. It didn't get dark until almost 10pm, so you really have a very full day of light. We didn't take the Metro, we pretty much walked everywhere except to Versailles, we had a private tour. The gardens and fountains of Versailles are spectacular, I highly recommend going there if you have the time.

• 2 months later...
We could probably have quite a discussion about the "best" arrondissement (neighborhood) to stay. Personally, we prefer the 5th or 6th.....but others might prefer the 2nd or 4th. There is no right or wrong...and really no best (there are several bests)...but a matter of personal taste. Paris has an amazing Metro System....so getting around on foot with some help from the Metro for longer distances...should suffice for most folks.

Paris is both very walkable and also spread out (hard to explain). DW and I will walk miles per day...when in Paris. But if we are not in the mood for very long walks, or if the weather is lousy....we head for the nearest Metro station :). For our last few trips we have developed a real affinity for the St Germain des Pres area (its in the 6th).....but there is a lot to say for staying out in Marais area (especially if you are going to be in Paris on a Sunday). We prefer to avoid the large hotels in favor of smaller inns/hotels or renting an apartment (this has become a very popular option).

Hank

You suggested Marais district if in Paris on Sunday. WE will be. What is happening in the Marais on Sunday?

I have been going to Paris regularly for over 40 years and now always stay in the 6th, right at the corner of Rue Jacob and Rue De Seine at the Hotel de Seine, which I consider my second home. Over the years I have also stayed at other hotels on Rue Jacob, namely Deux Continents, Angleterre, Marionners, and Millesime, to name a few. I settled on the Hotel de Seine because it offers the best value for money and of course, has fantastic friendly staff. But out of curiosity I happened to go by the La Villa last June when I was in Paris just to see what it was like if I ever wanted a change. It looks very nice, although at least $100 more per night than my hotel. I spoke to a couple who were staying there and gave it wonderful reviews. I have to admit I was tempted to stay there and may still do so in the future, if I feel like changing hotels. So I think you picked a good place.

There are many cute places to eat in the area, but one that I like just down the street is Au 35. Their prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is great. They have a shrimp and avocado salad that I could eat every day, No smoking outside to ruin your meals either, which is a major plus for me. It is a neighborhood place although frequented by tourists too, who stay nearby and know about it. Another small bistro I like is Bistro Ernest, on Rue de Seine, just down the street. The food is great and it is also a neighborhood hangout where the locals are very friendly and love talking to tourists. Several good restaurants on Rue Dauphine, too, which is not far away, and of course you are practically across the street from Ladureé.

I would recommend skipping the Louvre and instead going to the Museé D’Orsay with the impressionists. Be sure to walk out on the balcony adjacent to the cafe there to see wonderful views of the Seine, Louvre, Notre Dame, and the Carousel in the Tuilleries. Four days in Paris with one being spent at Versailles is like 15 minutes in New York and you dont want to spend all your time in museums, at least I wouldn’t. Also you want to save time to just wander around soaking in the ambiance of Paris, not running on a schedule from one tourist attraction to another. I recommend a night cruise on the Seine from Pont Neuf nearby, which is beautiful to see the Eiffel Tower sparkling when you sail past and of course Notre Dame and the rest of Paris all lit up.

I love Paris and even though I have visited the city many times over the years, including twice since last December (and going again this October), it never gets old and there are always new things that I discover. So enjoy yourself. 😀 It is the most beautiful city anywhere.

Also, much thanks to Hank (Hitner) as I have gotten a lot of useful information from reading your posts on Paris over the years. Proving that there is always something new to be learned about Paris.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I have been going to Paris regularly for over 40 years and now always stay in the 6th, right at the corner of Rue Jacob and Rue De Seine at the Hotel de Seine, which I consider my second home. Over the years I have also stayed at other hotels on Rue Jacob, namely Deux Continents, Angleterre, Marionners, and Millesime, to name a few. I settled on the Hotel de Seine because it offers the best value for money and of course, has fantastic friendly staff. But out of curiosity I happened to go by the La Villa last June when I was in Paris just to see what it was like if I ever wanted a change. It looks very nice, although at least $100 more per night than my hotel. I spoke to a couple who were staying there and gave it wonderful reviews. I have to admit I was tempted to stay there and may still do so in the future, if I feel like changing hotels. So I think you picked a good place.

There are many cute places to eat in the area, but one that I like just down the street is Au 35. Their prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is great. They have a shrimp and avocado salad that I could eat every day, No smoking outside to ruin your meals either, which is a major plus for me. It is a neighborhood place although frequented by tourists too, who stay nearby and know about it. Another small bistro I like is Bistro Ernest, on Rue de Seine, just down the street. The food is great and it is also a neighborhood hangout where the locals are very friendly and love talking to tourists. Several good restaurants on Rue Dauphine, too, which is not far away, and of course you are practically across the street from Ladureé.

I would recommend skipping the Louvre and instead going to the Museé D’Orsay with the impressionists. Be sure to walk out on the balcony adjacent to the cafe there to see wonderful views of the Seine, Louvre, Notre Dame, and the Carousel in the Tuilleries. Four days in Paris with one being spent at Versailles is like 15 minutes in New York and you dont want to spend all your time in museums, at least I wouldn’t. Also you want to save time to just wander around soaking in the ambiance of Paris, not running on a schedule from one tourist attraction to another. I recommend a night cruise on the Seine from Pont Neuf nearby, which is beautiful to see the Eiffel Tower sparkling when you sail past and of course Notre Dame and the rest of Paris all lit up.

I love Paris and even though I have visited the city many times over the years, including twice since last December (and going again this October), it never gets old and there are always new things that I discover. So enjoy yourself. [emoji3] It is the most beautiful city anywhere.

Also, much thanks to Hank (Hitner) as I have gotten a lot of useful information from reading your posts on Paris over the years. Proving that there is always something new to be learned about Paris.

Thank you for helpful info

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This will be our first trip to Paris. Planning on spending 3 days prior to getting ship at LeHavre.

What is the best area to book a hotel? Is Paris walkable or quite spread out?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Where did you stay? It’s now 2018 and we’re looking for June 2019.

Not sure if you've booked a place yet or are still contemplating - there are indeed a lot of hotels and differed ideas, preferences and reasons on why to stay in any given place! Price, location, amenities, first time to Paris or return trip, type of experience desired, neighborhood vibe sought (if any) etc. For many it's (or was!) usually a first time & the main interests are the standard first three, price, location, amenities.

I've stayed in the 1st, 5th, 7th & 12th. Only stayed in the 12th after many trips to Paris & as a pit stop en route to Epèrnay/Reims with Paris friends so location was unimportant on that trip & I knew the métro quite well.

First and return trips I stayed at Hotel Mansart in the 1st on rue des Capucines near Place Vendôme & Opèra mètro station. Love it here, quiet street, center of city, close to Louvre, Tuileries, if interested. I also don't liken 1st to Times Square & lived in NYC for decades. 1st *might* be more like Union Square (14th Street) area but even that is a poor parallel. For me not much in Paris compares to NYC, lots of London does and yet I immediately felt "at home" in Paris, without any words to explain why. It just did. They've just always been wonderful here, some of the staff became friends but they treat everyone as special and personal.

I stayed at Hotel Agora St Germain in the 5th for a change to be on the Left Bank in a less quiet area & I liked it too. (Ok for sleeping at night!) Also convenient to a métro stop (Maubert-Mutualité) and the Latin Quarter, St Germain arrondissments. Healthy walk to Eiffel Tower depends on stamina levels. Also felt great here, owner on premises.

If you wanted to be near the Eiffel Tower, Musèe d'Orsay I stayed at Hotel L'Alma in the 7th. It was nice being able to walk to the Tower for photography shoots and it was on a quiet street, close enough to métro but the area is quiet although that might not matter if you plan to be out and about all day. If you want to return to the room often, this isn't the place although no mètro ride is ever more than 5-10 minutes unless you're heading to arrondissment further out of of the center or out to the banlieu. Very accommodating staff.

I concur in that Paris is quite walkable and it's the best way to see/experience the city. Use the mètro only as a time saver or say if you wish to go suddenly from Sacre Coêur to Eiffel Tower, maybe Arc du Triomphe or even if your just tired. It's easy to use. Paris in the daytime can be clogged with traffic so buses can be slow, I've tried taking just the regular RATP buses. Just so much faster underground. I think it was just hot and I didn't want to go underground! I do the same thing here at home ;) But this is home not Paris though I love my city :)

Lastly my aunt and uncle just returned from their stay in Paris where they were at Hotel Indigo in the 2nd I believe but also close to the Opèra metro station. The Hotel had been recommended to them by well traveled friends and they loved it; this was not their first trip to Paris but it had been awhile. Had an amazing concierge.

Let us know how you did with selecting a place. The government rating system ensures you'll receive what is stated be law so it then just becomes a matter of décor, service, location, X factors. That's where we come in. Bon chance!

Following. For June 2019 Paris before cruise

Where did you stay? I’m asking today sept 2018

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much <<merci>> to both cruisinrg and BrooklinNorth for following up with reports about their hotels and trip details!

Always great to get feedback from our wonderful members after they’re back home as it provides helpful, current information to other travelers getting ready for their upcoming visits.

Your contributions (everyone’s!!) are the essence of what keep our message boards great and our community outstanding. Thanks as always 😎😊