Doubtful/Dusky/Milford Sounds or Fiordland National Park?

we are planning a cruise in 2020 from Sydney. I recently found a great fare on Princess but it doesn’t include Milford Sound which HA does but there is almost a $1300 pp difference in price. So the question is, is Cruising Milford Sound worth $1300pp?

Or maybe i’m reading it wrong. I know on HA you can take an overnight tour where you get off in Milford Sound and cross the island and pick up the ship the next day. I don’t see that Princess offers this so maybe that’s the reason it doesn’t specifically mention Milford Sound.

I would think if it says cruising fjordland .It would be cruising Dusky sounds , Doubtful sounds and cruise into the beautiful Milford sounds.

We have cruised New Zealand 5 times and they all did the sounds and I wouldn't of missed them as they are amazing.

Yes, Fiordland scenic cruising is through the three sounds.

For Milford they go in, turn around, and come back out again. The other two are transits, entering at one point and exiting at another point.

All weather and seas permitting, of course.

Put it this way, if the conditions are good enough there would be a mutiny onboard if the ship didn't go into Milford Sound. :D

We cruised to New Zealand this past Feb. and we were not able to get into Milford Sound due to a rough crossing from Sydney which put the ship behind too many hours to go up the Fjord. So, you are not guaranteed a sailing into any sound just because it is on the itinerary. Mother Nature wins every time.

Enjoy whichever cruise you decide on.

Barb

Not sure if this helps as I do understand the question but it is a money question...my great South Island friends (retired farmers, world travelers) and their South Island friends that I met in Dunedin feel Doubtful Sound is far and away the better experience.

I chime in with this only because many folks also add on land visits to their cruises or they return later for a longer visit...this is a place that would certainly beckon many travelers back for more.

It’s typically not the one offered, I know and it’s more out of the way but this is likely part of the reason why the locals feel this way. To me they simply said it was the more beautiful, breathtaking experience. Everything they took me to or sent me to was....so I’m inclined to believe them.

When they visited here I did my best to reciprocate but there’s really no comparing Brooklyn or Manhattan or Newport, RI to New Zealand. For me, these places are my heart and soul but I’m first to admit they don’t compare in jaw dropping vistas like NZ does....ok maybe somethings in the city do, just in a very different, sometimes surprising way ;)

(But oh that skyline...)

Whatever you do, have a wonderful journey. :cool:

I see Celebrity and Norwegian cruise the Doubtful/Dusky/Milford Sounds while Princess cruises the Fiordland National Park.

Any recommendation as to which option is the most scenic and interesting?

Thanks

The 3 sounds (or fiords) are within the Fiordland National Park. Only been on a cruise there once (RCI) & we sailed into & out of Milford Sound early morning, and then passed thru Doubtful and Dusky over the next several hours.

I am sure that either cruise-line will do pretty much the same, so it is just a matter of their naming, rather than anything different being offered.

It is not to be missed - in fact we are doing it again in January.

Yes, they are the same thing.

If your cruise goes from Auckland down to Fiordland, you will enter Dusky Sound in the morning, Doubtful Sound at lunchtime or early afternoon, and Milford Sound mid-afternoon.

If you're coming across from Australia direct to Fiordland the order will be reversed, Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, Dusky Sound.

I recommend being up on deck before the ship enters Milford Sound. You'll see why when you get there. I also recommend being on the port side going in. Look out for the seals on Seal Rock a short way into the harbour, especially if it's afternoon when the sun is on the rock. You'll also have a high probability of seeing the resident pod of dolphins, they seem to like cruise ships.

I've been to Milford Sound four times - twice on a cruise (and we'll hopefully see it again in April), once by small plane, and once by road. The initial impact of entering the sound from the sea is the most spectacular way to experience it IMHO.

Yes, they are the same thing.

If your cruise goes from Auckland down to Fiordland, you will enter Dusky Sound in the morning, Doubtful Sound at lunchtime or early afternoon, and Milford Sound mid-afternoon.

If you're coming across from Australia direct to Fiordland the order will be reversed, Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, Dusky Sound.

I recommend being up on deck before the ship enters Milford Sound. You'll see why when you get there. I also recommend being on the port side going in. Look out for the seals on Seal Rock a short way into the harbour, especially if it's afternoon when the sun is on the rock. You'll also have a high probability of seeing the resident pod of dolphins, they seem to like cruise ships.

I've been to Milford Sound four times - twice on a cruise (and we'll hopefully see it again in April), once by small plane, and once by road. The initial impact of entering the sound from the sea is the most spectacular way to experience it IMHO.

Question for you Oz,

I have seen you mention about entering Milford is not to be missed. We have an AFT balcony on the Radiance, should we go up top to see what you are mentioning or can we see it from our balcony?

Question for you Oz,

I have seen you mention about entering Milford is not to be missed. We have an AFT balcony on the Radiance, should we go up top to see what you are mentioning or can we see it from our balcony?

It's best from up top. The trouble is that it can be very cold.

An aft balcony would be very nice while departing Milford.