What deck is preferred?

neverland23

We are going on the Norwegian escape next spring. We have only been on one cruise before and it was a much smaller ship. We want a balcony room but what decks are preferred? We would like to stay away from the smell of smoke and loud noises at night. Is a higher deck typically a better one? Any help is much appreciated!

You will probably want a deck that is sandwiched between other cabin decks...that way, you don't risk lounges or bars above or below you.

As far as smoke goes....when you're underway, smoke will blow away quickly...it''s not like you're stuck in a smokey bar or anything! You never know what someone else might do...and you really shouldn't worry about it.

Higher decks are more costly...something mid ship, and mid deck will suit you fine, I'm sure.

We are going on the Norwegian escape next spring. We have only been on one cruise before and it was a much smaller ship. We want a balcony room but what decks are preferred? We would like to stay away from the smell of smoke and loud noises at night. Is a higher deck typically a better one? Any help is much appreciated!

I have been on numerous cruises with balconies.

Never have I ever smelled smoke.

You might want to check out your ships deck plans and figure out where you will be spending the most time and try for one close by those areas.

Listen to the others. Between two cabin decks. We thought we were safe but at 3am every night we heard them moving metal chairs to clean the deck above us. It only lasted about 15 minutes but really disrupts your nightly sleep when it happens at 3am every night.

Cabins above me, cabins below me, if motion is an issue mid ship.

Many ships there will be a deck that is equal number of floors to the areas you will spend the most time, that's the deck I want.

On NCL the spa cabins are located in quieter areas of the ship - usually 14 and 15 port side forward under The Haven Spa Suites on the larger ships such as Escape. There are usually spa and non-spa cabins on those floors. The noisier cabin areas are on floors near the children's clubs which tend to have lineups for entry at various times of the day and lots of foot traffic and directly under and above public spaces. The other quiet area of the ship is The Haven which is on 17 and 18.

I agree with the other posters--check the deck plans, and select a cabin that has cabins above and below you. If you are a light sleeper, avoid cabins near elevators and stairwells, show lounges, nightclubs, etc.

I'm a light sleeper, but I generally sleep like a baby while cruising.

All of the above advice is good. I would just add that smoking on a balcony

is now banned on all but just a few cruise lines, highly unlikely you will smell

smoke on your balcony.

Cheers! and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by TicTac#2

For me it was a matter at looking at the ship deck plans and finding rooms with a little a bonus. For example, we have room 11896 booked on the escape. It is towards the Aft with a rear facing angled balcony that is larger than the balconies in the rooms on either side but costs the same. There are rooms above and below and from what I have read the rear facing angled balconies do not have issues with the wind that some front facing angled balconies do. You are doing the right thing by doing your research and knowing what you want before you book.