Best Hawaiian helicopter tour?

Brooke71991

Thanks so very much for the info!:D

By the way, book Blue Hawaiian direct, not through the ship. It is much cheaper booking direct. They do provide pick up at the port gate and you will have access to any available time slot.

By the way, book Blue Hawaiian direct, not through the ship. It is much cheaper booking direct. They do provide pick up at the port gate and you will have access to any available time slot.

How true. We booked direct through Blue Hawaiian and I noticed the ships price was 60% more for the exact same tour. POA picked us up at the security gate and then swung around to pick up those who booked through the cruise line. Use the savings to go towards other tours.

• 1 month later...

To answer someones question from before- We did Safari Helicopter in Hilo. Honestly, we booked them for no other reason then being so much cheaper than other companies. We ended up having a fantastic experience with them. They picked us up on time and were very nice. They did ask us if we wanted to pay more for the "better" seats and we did not. We ended up being really glad we didn't waste the money to do that. I had the window and my husband had the seat next to me. Sitting in the middle was not a problem for him- especially since I had the window so he was perfectly comfortable leaning over me to see. Our pilot was great and we had a great tour.

I went into it trying to figure out how they were so much cheaper than others and I honestly could not figure it out. Perhaps the helicopters they use are not as "new" and "flashy" as some of the others I have seen but the ride was smooth and we felt very safe.

• 3 weeks later...
Did you find after the helicopter tour time to do other things on the island? I was thinking a morning flight and then off to do another tour in the afternoon.

If you are able to book the helicopter early enough in the day, you should have plenty of time for some afternoon touring. The company website should give you the tour time options. You could call to ask what the approx return time to the ship would be.

Did you find after the helicopter tour time to do other things on the island? I was thinking a morning flight and then off to do another tour in the afternoon.

I just did a tour last week from Hilo. I did a "doors off" volcano tour with Paradise. It was very cool as you can fell the heat from the lava and smell the sulfur. Sadly the island is in a bit of a drought right now, so the water falls were not great but seeing the bubbling lava was a "bucket list" item I have checked off the "to do" list. They are just under an hr long and the want you there a hour before to get your weight (yes you have to step on a scale when checking in so they can get the weight balanced in the chopper) and do a safety briefing. So figure about 2hrs or so for a volcano tour from Hilo.

• 3 months later...

Three of us are hoping to take a helicopter tour of Kauai. Is there a possibility of finding a copter that seats three in addition to the pilot? If so, we would each have a window view. I have seen photos of three people squished into the rear seat, which leaves the person in the middle a little detached from the view. We are hoping to avoid that. I have also seen those that seat two behind the pilot.....but there are three of us. I am aware that they have to weigh us and seat us as necessary to balance the helicopter. But if only three of us are on board, it won't matter.

We used Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours. They are for 1 - 3 passengers and every passenger gets a window seat. Not the cheapest around but you don't have to share with other parties and nobody gets stuck in the middle. I loved it and would do it again. They also do helicopter flights on Oahu and the Big Island.

http://maunaloahelicoptertours.com/hawaiian-helicopter-tours/helicopter-tours-of-kauai/

Edited to add: They also do doors off which is so much more fun and makes for clearer photos with no reflections.

Edited by mongee
more info

We used Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours. They are for 1 - 3 passengers and every passenger gets a window seat. Not the cheapest around but you don't have to share with other parties and nobody gets stuck in the middle. I loved it and would do it again. They also do helicopter flights on Oahu and the Big Island.

http://maunaloahelicoptertours.com/hawaiian-helicopter-tours/helicopter-tours-of-kauai/

Edited to add: They also do doors off which is so much more fun and makes for clearer photos with no reflections.

Thank you so much. I've seen them recommended before. Will check them out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am trying to plan out my excursions for my Hawaiian cruise. I want to do a helicopter tour on one of the islands and was just wondering which one might be the best. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

My absolute favorite helicopter tour company is Paradise Helicopters on the Big Island. They fly out of Kona Airport on the Kona side, and Hilo Airport on the Hilo side. Both are very convenient for guests arriving on the POA.

Out of Kona, I've done the "Circle Island Tour" 4 or 5 times. You get a beautiful flight out over Hualalai, over the top of Mauna Loa, down to Kilauea and hunt for lava flows, then up the coast to the the spectacular waterfalls of Kohala. It's about 2 hours of flying time on comfortable Bell helicopters that have limo-style seating.

Our of Hilo, I've done the doors off tour on a smaller Huges heli with Paradise down to the volcano to see the lava ocean entry, and this is a blast! You won't forget the thrill.

Hi guys & gals: I have a problem: I need a copter that can seat FOUR of us...my sister -in-law & hubby speak NO English ( Spanish from Peru), so I can't let them go in another copter alone..my wife speaks some English, but I really would like all four of us to be together...any tips or companies you know that might do that, AND does anyone know a company that might have a pilot who speaks Spanish? Thanks!!! :cool:

Big Al

Hi guys & gals: I have a problem: I need a copter that can seat FOUR of us...my sister -in-law & hubby speak NO English ( Spanish from Peru), so I can't let them go in another copter alone..my wife speaks some English, but I really would like all four of us to be together...any tips or companies you know that might do that, AND does anyone know a company that might have a pilot who speaks Spanish? Thanks!!! :cool:

Big Al

The tour operators fly primarily EcoStar/A-Star (Airbus) and Bell helicopters in Hawaii. These take 6-7 passengers depending on configuration (some EcoStars are configured to squeeze in an extra 7th passenger.

Best bet is to call ahead or email the company regarding a Spanish-launguage/bi-lingual tour. I know that Paradise will let you charter a copter just for your group (basically you pay for the empty middle seat in back). Many of the pilots are ex-Military, and not just U.S., and speak languages other than English.

The tour operators fly primarily EcoStar/A-Star (Airbus) and Bell helicopters in Hawaii. These take 6-7 passengers depending on configuration (some EcoStars are configured to squeeze in an extra 7th passenger.

Best bet is to call ahead or email the company regarding a Spanish-launguage/bi-lingual tour. I know that Paradise will let you charter a copter just for your group (basically you pay for the empty middle seat in back). Many of the pilots are ex-Military, and not just U.S., and speak languages other than English.

Thanks Coy! Man, you are all over these boards!! :D

Has anyone done Safari Helicopters in Hilo?

We did the Safari tour in Kauai over the Waimea Canyon and the Napali coast....it was the deluxe tour. They met us at the ship and after the ride dropped us off at the airport car rental site so that we could pick up our rental car. It was a great ride and definitely one of the highlights of our trip. I would highly recommend that you take a helicopter tour as most of the area we covered is privately owned and can not been seen on you own. I booked online to receive the discount and was in contact with their office by email on several occasions. They were very friendly and always replied to my inquiries usually within hours...and called my cellphone the day before our trip to confirm.