Seabourn Sojourn - refit, restaurants etc

We are also toying with the idea of joining this sailing. The TK Grill not because by open yet is a bit of a disappointment. (I've managed to be on Quest and Odyssey right before both dry docks and the Sojourn earlier this year so I'm still yet to have my TK Grill trial. We may have to hold out until next year's TA where we have birthday reservations.

Hopefully we'll pull the trigger and join the roll call this week.

It would be very disappointing indeed if the speciality restaurant wasn't available. It is clearly listed as an amenity and at no point in the booking procedure have we been informed it will be absent.

The fare charged certainly doesn't reflect a reduced service.

I am expecting either R2 or TK to be available.

Henry

I have to put a good word in for the TK Grill on the Encore. It is spacious and well designed and has the FABULOUS TK Grill Bar adjacent. I have to say that the TK Grill Bar was one of our very favorite venues on the Encore. It is special. Our pianist/singer was Suzanne Jade and she was great.

I have to put a good word in for the TK Grill on the Encore. It is spacious and well designed and has the FABULOUS TK Grill Bar adjacent. I have to say that the TK Grill Bar was one of our very favorite venues on the Encore. It is special. Our pianist/singer was Suzanne Jade and she was great.

Completely agree. It is special. We just got off an extended Encore trip and TK Grill & Bar was our favorite. Nice space, great layout, superb service. We had no problem getting into the grill when we wanted to. Never had a bad meal and we tried just about everything on the menu and some entrees a couple times. Suzanne Jade was super.

BTW, the space outside the TK Grill is used by the Colonnade and it is spacious and uncrowded. Nice secluded place for breakfast if you eat in the colonnade.

Wire, I can't tell you how affirming it is to have someone else say that the Encore has some really enjoyable venues. So glad you loved the TK Grill Bar too--and agree with us about Suzanne Jade. She is currently enjoying her two month break. I have high hopes she will be on the Ovation when we sail next June. She is a jewel.

It would be very disappointing indeed if the speciality restaurant wasn't available. It is clearly listed as an amenity and at no point in the booking procedure have we been informed it will be absent.

The fare charged certainly doesn't reflect a reduced service.

I am expecting either R2 or TK to be available.

Henry

I'm in complete agreement with you Henry. I liked R2 and if it means dining in a TK fitted space but with R2 food served, that would be fine with me. It would likely be rather disappointing for those who haven't yet tried the TK Grill on the other ships though. Jenidallas, it seems that you may be a jinx! ;p

However, if the space isn't being utilised at all and as a result would have one less dining option, I'm sure if that were the case SB would have advised booked passengers already, if not it would be a poor show.

I've still not made up my mind but I'll need to speak to my TA later today if I do go ahead with this one so I'll ask if they're aware of what the plans may be.

Henry, what happens when you try to make dining reservations online in My Seabourn? I get the response that it's not possible to make reservations at this time, whereas on my Quest cruise I was able to book TK Grill online at least two months before the cruise.

Edited by Isklaar

Wire, I can't tell you how affirming it is to have someone else say that the Encore has some really enjoyable venues. So glad you loved the TK Grill Bar too--and agree with us about Suzanne Jade. She is currently enjoying her two month break. I have high hopes she will be on the Ovation when we sail next June. She is a jewel.

SLSD, Henry who is the OP of this thread spent quite some time on Encore when she first went into service. He was very enthusiastic about the ship and the venues. Have you seen the excellent video that he made?

Here's a link .there's a longer version too but I'm unable to link to it

Edited by Isklaar

Totally irrelevant to the subject at hand. TK conversions have no resemblance to Encore. And a total bummer if the space is out of play during holiday cruise.

Oregon50, I apologize for making an irrelevant comment. Thank you for pointing it out. I'll be more careful next time. What was I thinking? Hmm..I can't quite remember now--but I was probably thinking that someone reading this thread might be wondering what the space was like for the TK Grill on the Encore.

Yes, the TK grill in the old R2 is pretty small - and some tables extremely close together. We were on Quest when she was being altered (TK himself was on board) and for that cruise apart from a couple of nights at the end, when a few select people were allowed to dine there, it was closed. I agree it is a bummer if it is not going to be open over Christmas. The only slight consolation is that dining outside, either at the Colonnade or Patio Grill, will probably be enjoyable in the Caribbean, whereas it was not warm enough for us when we were in Europe on Quest. And therefore hopefully will not seem so crowded. I wonder if Seabourn do plan to let you know, if it is indeed closed, and what if anything they might do by way of recompense?

If a TK ribeye steak and a portion of the prawn starter found their way onto Sojourn after the re-fit I wouldn't be too fussed where they were served :)

We very much enjoyed the TK Grill experience on Encore.

I've never tried to make dining reservations prior to boarding the ship so couldn't tell you what happens I'm afraid.

We board Sojourn with an open mind.

Henry :)

If a TK ribeye steak and a portion of the prawn starter found their way onto Sojourn after the re-fit I wouldn't be too fussed where they were served :)

We very much enjoyed the TK Grill experience on Encore.

I've never tried to make dining reservations prior to boarding the ship so couldn't tell you what happens I'm afraid.

We board Sojourn with an open mind.

Morning Henry, sorry I wasn't clear, I was wondering what happens when you tried to make dining reservations for this upcoming cruise as at the time I asked I had only a provisional booking and couldn't access the dining reservations page in my online account.

Anyway, I've now gone ahead and confirmed it, still can't access the dining reservations as I have done previously so there is definitely something afoot.

Hopefully the R2 space will be open in some capacity for the cruise, if only to provide one extra dining choice. If it's not, I'm sure I'll cope!

Will head over to the roll call shortly.

It's odd because the speciality dining reservation facility, albeit with no options, has only just appeared in the last week on the cruise activity choices and itinerary. If they are not going to offer it why update the cruise website? Also if the other ships took about 15 - 18 days to convert and get up to speed why should this one take over a month to do so? I'm with Henry, for a significant change to the service like this I would expect at least a communication from the TA or expect a 4th dining venue to be available when we get there.

It's odd because the speciality dining reservation facility, albeit with no options, has only just appeared in the last week on the cruise activity choices and itinerary. If they are not going to offer it why update the cruise website? Also if the other ships took about 15 - 18 days to convert and get up to speed why should this one take over a month to do so? I'm with Henry, for a significant change to the service like this I would expect at least a communication from the TA or expect a 4th dining venue to be available when we get there.

Well that's interesting. I wasn't aware of that of course, because I couldn't access the cruise activities until I booked the cruise yesterday. It is certainly odd.

Hopefully someone who is on the cruise immediately following the dry dock will update.

I have people very close to me on the first cruise after the re-fit so all will be revealed.

I suspect the delay might be to give the TK roll out teams a break over the festive period. I know they were working aboard Encore that time last year.

I am also wondering if head office and the ship have different plans. It wouldn't be the first time head office said one thing but people in the know on here or actually on a ship said something else and were correct.

I shall bring sandwiches for the first 2 days just in case........

Talking of websites i see Christmas Day is currently showing at sea. If they can't get us ashore in Punta Cana the day before we should be trivia quizzed to distraction by the time we get to St Kitts 😀

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

I'd love to be at sea on Christmas Day, sea days are my favourite, but for me the website is showing Fredriksted, St Croix on the 25th.

Yes it could be good. BTW I've just got confirmation from Seabourn via our TA that its a day at sea.

"This is to advise that, upon further reviewing the pace of ongoing recovery

efforts in the Caribbean and the feedback received from travelers who have

visited the islands, we have replaced our port call to Frederiksted, St. Croix

with a day at sea. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to

welcoming you aboard."

Yes it could be good. BTW I've just got confirmation from Seabourn via our TA that its a day at sea.

"This is to advise that, upon further reviewing the pace of ongoing recovery

efforts in the Caribbean and the feedback received from travelers who have

visited the islands, we have replaced our port call to Frederiksted, St. Croix

with a day at sea. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to

welcoming you aboard."

I'm pleased about that but again, others may be disappointed. I wonder if they may offer Galley Market Lunch that day, I understand that it's been held again recently on some ships. Certainly on a couple of my previous Christmas cruises it's been held on the 25th.

And yes, the itinerary when I'm logged into the site does show it as a sea day, just not on the search page if one isn't logged in.

Thanks for the update!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have a difinitive answer as to when Sojourn is getting its refit / freshen up and what will that work entail?

I spoke with the headquarters guy who's currently on the Sojourn and will be overseeing the dry dock starting on Dec 3rd. In addition to converting R2 to TK Grill and general freshening up throughout the ship, all the guest rooms will get new electric outlets by the bed (which will be a major undertaking for them), and the main galley will get the equipment addition to enable the return of Galley Market lunch. There are many other upgrade items as well...

I spoke with the headquarters guy who's currently on the Sojourn and will be overseeing the dry dock starting on Dec 3rd. In addition to converting R2 to TK Grill and general freshening up throughout the ship, all the guest rooms will get new electric outlets by the bed (which will be a major undertaking for them), and the main galley will get the equipment addition to enable the return of Galley Market lunch. There are many other upgrade items as well...

Sounds promising, looking forward to enjoying the refreshed Sojourn in March and hearing more on what’s been spruced up and changed. Really looking forward to the return of the Galley Market Lunch, hoping they will have the fondue and of course the vodkas on ice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums