Seabourn Med Shore Excursions

Bestie098

New to the mediterranean and as shore excursion bookings are open for next August (where it will be very warm and busy)...

Trying to decide what to do.

DAY 0:

August 08, 2018 Departs 05:00 PM

Monte Carlo, Monaco

DAY 1:

August 09, 2018 Arrives 07:00 AM

Departs 03:00 PM

Portoferraio (Elba), Italy

DAY 2:

August 10, 2018 Arrives 09:00 AM

Departs 06:00 PM

Amalfi, ItalyTR

DAY 3:

August 11, 2018 Arrives 08:00 AM

Departs 05:00 PM

Taormina, ItalyTR

DAY 4:

August 12, 2018 Arrives 08:00 AM

Departs 03:00 PM

Xlendi (Victoria), Gozo, MaltaTR

DAY 4:

August 12, 2018 Arrives 06:00 PM

Valletta, MaltaON

DAY 5:

August 13, 2018

Valletta, Malta

DAY 6:

August 14, 2018

AT SEA

DAY 7:

August 15, 2018 Arrives 08:00 AM

Bonifacio (Corsica), FranceTRWC

DAY 8:

August 16, 2018 Arrives 08:00 AM

Bandol, FranceTR

DAY 9:

August 17, 2018 Arrives 08:00 AM

Palamos, Spain

DAY 10:

August 18, 2018 Arrives 07:00 AM

Barcelona, Spain

There are a number of winery visits in Elba that are easy choices. Virtuoso have their own arrangements for Valetta.

Comments or Suggestions for a new (relatively young) cruiser and partner appreciated!

Corsica has me stumped. To visit the cliffs, The Sartene Coast, A 6.5 hour drive through the villages and forest? The Bavella Peak?

Whether Bonifacio is approached from the East or from the West, this mediaeval city really appears as a « Land’s End », completely, isolated from the rest of the Island a vast and arid limestone plateau.

The cliffs of Bonifacio are inextricably linked with the town's identity. From the Saint-Roch chapel to the Pertusato semaphore, follow the path overhanging the 65 m high cliffs - which form part of the international Bouches de Bonifacio marine park - and enjoy the remarkable view of the town and the Bonifacio Straits.

Take a boat trip and discover the grottos that pepper the cliff face (including the Sdragonato sea grotto) and the famous King of Aragon staircase, carved into the cliff face, a monument to the King who, together with his soldiers, almost captured the town.

Especially for you, a mini train on wheels will be available to take you on a tour, enabling you to fully enjoy Bonifacio.

The little train which will take you on a visit of the citadel and the old Genoese town. The train first takes you to the marine cemetery located on the top of the cliffs with an impressive view over the straits of Bonifacio across to Sardinia only 12 klm away, continuing on into the heart of the old town, you will resume your tour on foot through the typical narrow streets to discover, around each corner, churches, monuments and curiosities dating back to the 16 th century.

Return to the train station with mini train and walk back to the ship along the marina or continue to explore the town on your own and walking back to the ship.

Leave the Port of Bonifacio for a panoramic drive among the chalky cliffs of Corsica. You're headed towards Porto Vecchio -- one of the most beautiful bays on the island.

----------

Turning inland, your coach ventures inland in the direction of Bavella, climbing up to the Ospedale Forest. Take in the views across the hills and down to the Tyrrhenian Sea -- the stretch of sea between Corsica and Italy.

The hamlet of Ospedale owes its name to a hospital that existed on this spot during the Roman colonization. Arriving at the Ospedale Barrage -- situated among rocks and pine trees, you'll ss this manmade reservoir of water that supplies the south of Corsica.

The mountain village of Zonza is the gateway to the Alta Rocca (high rock) Region. Driving through pine and chestnut forests, you'll climb up to the Col de Bavella mountain pass at 4,000 feet above sea level. Here you'll find the statue dedicated to Notre dame des Neiges (Our Lady of the Snows) and a breathtaking view over the Aiguilles de Bavella -- a collection of granite needles standing more than 7,000 feet tall. This region, with its exceptional wild and unspoiled scenery, is protected by a Regional Natural Park that is home to innumerable species of plants and wildflowers, wild boar, eagles and the famous mouflon -- or wild sheep with curly horns.

Relax over a typical Corsican meal -- a three-course lunch including mineral water, a glass of wine and coffee.

The ride back down to sea level passes through the villages of Levie, Carbini and Figari.

Please note: Tour involves steep, winding roads, not advisable for guests suffering from vertigo. Lunch is served in Zonza or Bavella. There are no public toilets in Corsica; guests wishing to use café restrooms are expected to purchase a beverage. Suitable for guests using a wheelchair, and/or for those with limited mobility, but coaches in Corsica are not lift-equipped or wheelchair accessible, so a small amount of walking is required. Collapsible wheelchairs can be accommodated, motorized wheelchairs or scooters cannot be stored on the coach.

Bonifacio is a perfect place to just walk around, take the petit train up to the hilltop fort, coffee/wine at a harbourside cafe and people watch.

Elba is a beautiful island and hopefully in addition to a winery there'll be an island tour of some description included in that excursion.

Bandol, I'd just sit around drinking the excellent local rosé wine all day.

Palamos, we took an SB excursion to Salvador Dali's 'castle' and there was a tapas lunch and wine tasting on the way back to the ship. Enjoyed it.

Lots of people prefer to take a private tour than an SB excursion. I find the SB ones to be fine, nothing earth shattering but better than adequate.

Lovely itinerary!

by the way, thanks for listing your ports, it makes it so much easier for people to reply.

Thank you for the very prompt reply!

The Elba tour is one of the Epicurean selection ... so one of the ones we're looking forward to. I'll take your advice and just enjoy Bonifacio rather than hop on a bus for hours and hours on end. We're torn between just enjoying vineyards vs just wanting to see all the major attractions as first-timers to the Med.

Decided to book the lunch in Positano for Amalfi and a wine tasting at Barone di Villagrande in Taomina rather hike Mount Etna or the Godfather Tour in the heat of Summer. We have a wine tour to La Castellet for Bandol (hopefully to enjoy Rose) and the Best of Girona tour for Palamos. The only other tour in Palamos was to Empures or a cycling tour to Pals on the website at the moment.

We're new to the Mediterranean and a little nervous about private arrangements (that and my understanding of French is limited to "bonjour, parlez vous anglais") ... as well as the fact that we're not quite at the stage in life we can afford private arrangements just for two. Hoping however that if there's a roll call later on that may change.

----------

Depart Elba Island's busy capital, Portoferraio, by motor coach. A delightful drive takes you through the southern region of this charming island.

Your first stop is at the enchanting village of Capoliveri, which preserves an almost-medieval atmosphere in its architecture -- sober, yet graceful and elegant. Capoliveri is located in the heart of Elba's mining area, between the iron mines at Mount Calamita and Mount Ginevro. A viewpoint at the foot of a wild headland covered with bush, agaves and prickly pears offers a superb panoramic view out over the Gulfs of Lacona and di Campo. The overhanging cliffs are visited by thousands of sea gulls, and small bays dot the crystal-clear water. Enjoy a leisurely stroll through the Old Town's winding streets, followed by some free time to browse among the tiny shops and boutiques.

You will then visit Porto Azzurro -- a very charming fishing village -- where you will have some more free time to explore, shop, or rest in a café along the picturesque fishing harbor.

Continue on your drive to the old 17th-century La Chiusa winery, housed in a mansion and beautifully nestled on a vineyard estate. It is surrounded by olive trees and overlooking the ocean. As does any self-respecting mansion on Elba, La Chiusa claims to have once housed Napoleon during his exile here. Step into the estate's interesting cellar to learn how the wine is handled and produced.

In the garden facing the sea, enjoy a tasting of the vineyard's delicious passiti wine, complemented by assorted light snacks. Passiti is made from the classic mainstay varietals of the island -- Aleatico and Ansonica.

As this pleasant interlude concludes, re-board your coach for the drive back to Portoferraio.

Please note: As part of Seabourn's Epicurean Collection, this tour is designed for a limited number of guests to offer a truly exclusive experience.

The Elba excursion is the same one we took (with Silversea, before we discovered Seabourn! ;)) about 7 years ago. I'm glad you get to see some of the island. I can't remember what the light snacks were like but the wine was interesting.

We've only rarely taken private tours but hopefully other posters will be along shortly who may recommend some specifically. The SB private tours are way expensive, as you say and I've never taken one of those, but ones arranged privately tend to be better quality and around the same price as the SB group excursions. But we're happy enough to go on the SB ones in most places. I completely understand your reluctance to arrange them when it's your first trip to the Med and taking into account language differences too but as I said, some other posters may be able to convince you give one a try and by all accounts the guides usually have decent to very good English.

I've never been to Malta, Amalfi or Taormina so can't comment.

You'll probably fall in love with the Med, despite the August heat, this is likely to be the first visit of many!

One of the great things about the Med is that most ports don't need tours to be enjoyed. We tend, therefore, to do tours that have very specific appeal to us.

On your cruise we have been to Portoferraio, Bonifacio, Valetta, Bandol and Palamos.

Portoferraio is very walkable if a bit hilly. There is the house that Napolean lived in to be visited, a fortress, some nice shopping streets and the port.

Bonifacio is equally walkable although it is a climb up the hill and into town from where the tender drops you. It is a very pretty town with some great views. There is also a hike out to the lighthouse and along the cliffs which is nice if walking is your thing.

In Valetta, the local taxi drivers will do a tour for you taking you to places like M'dina. Having been to Malta before, we took the local bus. Valetta itself is also very walkable with the cathedral and various other sights well worth seeing.

Bandol is archetypical Provence. If the weather is nice it is a great place to wander around, do some shopping, drink some wine, etc.

Palamos is utterly uninteresting and boring. Essentially a modern Spanish resort town. Take a tour.

In Monte Carlo, we took the tour to Eze and the Rothschild house--these were among my very favorite things to see on our cruise. (We had previously been to Monte Carlo itself and had little interest in seeing that city. The SB tour to see these two places was excellent. PLENTY of time to see the Rothschild house and Eze amazed me. I really loved it.

In Bonifacio, Corsica, we took the boat tour of the grotto and then the train up to the city on a cliff. LOVED the boat tour. You could probably do this on your own, but it was easy to do the excursion. You could probably also take the train up to the city of the cliff. It is a wonderful city to see (narrow streets, medieval walls) and we loved it.

DEFINITELY go to Mdina on Malta (port of Valetta) . You could take a taxi there. It is a wonderful place---so quiet, so medieval. I did enjoy the information our guide was able to tell us there. Valetta the city is a fun walk through. There is an elevator fairly close to the port that takes you up to the main street. The Co-Cathedral of St. John is magnificent. More gold than you might ever see elsewhere.

Our port of Amalfi was changed to Positano. Our tour changed and it was a long bus trip---magnificent views, but I would rather do it differently if we were back there. The striking cathedral in Amalfi is so worth seeing. Pizza is good there also!

In Gozo, consider just taking a taxi to the Citadel---a lovely walled city. It is fun to walk through. We also enjoyed the ruin of ancient temples on Gozo. I assume you could also take a taxi there.

Still thinking about your ports as we saw most of them in September. You can walk through Taormina on your own. We took a tour that went on to Castellmola. It is a wonderful remote medieval village. I really enjoyed it, but you would not have to see it.

We also stopped on Bandol. I would just walk through that little town and enjoy the ship the rest of the day.

One more thing---Gozo will be HOT if you are going in August. We were there in very late September and that is the only place I really got hot---to the point of having to step away from the tour of the ancient temples and sit in the shade. THAT hot! And this was before 1pm in the afternoon. At the same time, I LOVED seeing the ancient temples and would not want to miss them. Perhaps take a taxi there early in the day (find out when they open) and see the museum that is wonderful as well as the temples.

Thank you everybody for your detailed and very helpful replies :)

We're actually staying a few nights in Eze pre-cruise but the tips for the other ports are most useful in selecting tours or not - and things to do. Yes, they still do the Godfather tour although I picked the wine-tasting for now until I've had a chance to watch the movies again.

We did those ports in July this year.

In Taormina I did the Mt Etna SB tour and loved it. The Godfather tour also looked good but couldn’t do both.

Eze and the Villa was a good tour, we tge walked the length and breadth of Monte Carlo in the afternoon.

In Valletta we did a private tour with Prestige Cabs http://www.prestigecabsmalta.com/

It was €108 for 4 hrs, can be for up to 4 people (only 2 of us). Guido was lovely and took us where we wanted but made recommendations. He went above and beyond our expectations. You can do a bus to all the destinations but for €108 well worth it.

We also did not stop in Amalfi but went to Sorrento and did the bus from there. Tip if you do this, sit on the right side of the bus for the best views.

Gozo we did the SB Victoria Secrets Tour and found it good. Friends went to the Blue Lagoon and said it was standing room only (extremely crowded) and wasn’t much fun.

We did many of these ports this year but we tended to book our own guides/drivers so that we could maximize our time.

Monte Carlo - We ended up going to St. Paul de Vence. Lovely village and the Maeght Foundation is nearby if you are interesting in art. Eze is a popular destination too but we didn't have time to stop.

Elba - Can't help you there

Amalfi - I think my favorite in the area was Ravello. Beautiful villas on top of the cliffs.

Taormina - Do visit the theater and wander the main street. Go up to Castelmola. Tour the area through the Alcantara Valley. Stop at a winery on the slopes of Mt. Etna. Godfather tour is very popular as is heading up Mt. Etna

Malta - On Gozo the two main attractions is the main city of Victoria and the fort/cathedral and Ggantija for prehistoric monolithic temple. The area around the former Azure Window still has beautiful scenery even if the arch has fallen into the ocean. As for the main island, Mdina is fascinating and popular. Walking around the old city of Valletta is also common. We also visited the Catacombs in Rabat that were well worth a look, the three cities (Birgu, Senglea, and Cospicua) where a lot of the Templar history is located, and the Tarxian prehistoric temple. We didn't get to the Hypogeum but I hear that is something well worth the time to see.

Corsica - We got diverted to Ajaccio but I would say that the whole island is quite beautiful. We traveled into the mountains which reminded me of the Rockies of Western Canada. Local food is plentiful and delicious (try the boar). Can't go wrong just wandering around and looking at the scenery.

Bandol - We went really far afield for this port and visited Les Baux and Saint Remy. That kind of shows how far you can roam in one day and still make it back to the ship in time. Cassis (we stopped in for a very short time) and Le Castellet are also very popular destinations near by.

Palamos - We didn't stop here but did travel in the area for a day from Barcelona. Girona is nearby and has a wonderful old city. Figueres is a little further away but has the Dali Museum which includes his jewel collection.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everybody!

Yes, pre-cruise - we're staying at the Chateau Chèvre D'Or to enjoy beautiful views over the area.

Seabourn have now posted their tour information so these are the ones we've decided on given the weather.

Elba - the Elba Countryside and Wine tasting stopping by Capoliveri, through to Porto Azzurro then to La Chiusa winery for a wine tasting.

Amalfi - this one was hard.

The UNESCO partner tour is a Limoncello Farm and Museum of Handmade Paper. Though I'm not sure we'll see much of Amalfi.

There's another tour that is a motor launch to Positano and then returning to Amalfi to see the Cathedral.

Lastly there is the drive to Positano and then lunch at San Pietro Hotel before returning.

We'd like to see the Amalfi cathedral but not sure if this would allow us enough time.

Taomina

Deciding between the UNESCO partner tour of Mt Etna, driving to Naxos -> cable car ride to the top and then 4x4 van to the top for a 45 minute walk or staying out of the weather and doing the

Taomina and Castlemola tour.

We've elected so far for the latter in August. I enjoy the Godfather. The fiancé does not :p

Xlendi - Lots of yoga and photography tours but we went with the Victoria's Secrets to see things we haven't in the area.

Valletta - We're doing the Virtuoso tour and then the soprano evening concert at the Chapel

Bonifacio - Decided to do the Bonifacio & Cliffs tour as it includes a boat trip to the grottos and then the mini-train.

Bandol - It was either Cassis or Le Castellet and we chose the latter!

Palamos - Chose the Best of Girona - to El Cali area, Jewish Quarter and then the Bonastruch Ca Porta Museum as well as the Gironella Tower over Costa Brava.

Barcelona - we've arranged for Barcelona Day Tours on the cruise critic recommendation

Neither of us have been to any of these ports before! I can't decide on the Amalfi tour, which of the three to do. I'd love lunch in Positano but at the same time want to see the cathedral in Amalfi.

We did some of these ports in late September/early October. I would skip the bus tour Positano/Amalfi. We did this and it is a LOT of time on the bus. The cathedral in Amalfi is lovely and there is a great restaurant with good pizza right at its base.

You will love the boat tour of the grotto at Bonifacio and the tour of the city on the cliffs (which is Bonifacio).

Be sure to see Medina when you stop in Valetta. The Citadel is the main thing to see on Gozo.

The Taormina tour was a disappointment as the tour guide did/said very little. You could walk through Taormina yourself. I did love Castelmola and it was part of the tour.

Hello SLSD, Thank you for your prompt reply!

We came to a similar conclusion re: Amalfi - the only reason for booking a tour was to get on an early tender. We have changed it to the motor launch that goes to Positano for a bit of free time and then back to Amalfi which then gives us a an hour or two to wander the town before heading back to the tender. Hopefully the ship doesn't change where it docks!

Thanks for the tips re: Taomina. I'm still wondering whether the Mt Etna tour is a better idea even though it will be mid-August next year and peak season/hot.

Does Seabourne offer any trips to Capri while in Amalfi. (We cruise in not until October so nothing posted yet)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

https://www.seabourn.com/luxury-cruise-destinations/Shore-ExcursionsViewExcursions.action?destCode=EM&portCode=AI1

These are the same ones showing up in my brochure. Nothing to Capri except as a private arrangement. As Amalfi is a tender port and a relatively short stop I wasn't quite confident enough to arrange a non-Seabourn organised excursion.

On googling, the Lemon Tour and paper museum seems to be freely available (for significantly less) than the Seabourn price as a UNESCO tour. We decided rather than spend an hour driving to Positano just to have lunch, we'll take the expensive motor launch and have time to wander both Positano and Amalfi.

• 4 months later...

We are also on this cruise and have found the comments really helpful. It will be our first time on SB

Could anyone let us know where Seabourn docks in Taormina? Is it at Messina or Naxos and does Seabourn transport you into town or do you need to make your own way?

Similarly at Xlendi - is there transport provided to get into town?

The cruiseline mentions that they will ensure you get into the centre of towns but it is tricky to know which towns this counts for.

Much appreciated

We are also on this cruise and have found the comments really helpful. It will be our first time on SB

Could anyone let us know where Seabourn docks in Taormina? Is it at Messina or Naxos and does Seabourn transport you into town or do you need to make your own way?

Similarly at Xlendi - is there transport provided to get into town?

The cruiseline mentions that they will ensure you get into the centre of towns but it is tricky to know which towns this counts for.

Much appreciated

Seabourn tenders in Naxos. You take an excursion or shuttle to Taormina. There are taxis at the tender landing and you can take one up to Taormina for about 25 euros. The excursion to Castelmola and Taormina is very good. Also, the ones that include Mt. Etna.

We were supposed to go to Xlendi, but ended up tendering into a different town. Don't know why. All the tour buses were waiting at the new port. The Victoria's secrets excursion was very good.

Seabourn tenders in Naxos. You take an excursion or shuttle to Taormina. There are taxis at the tender landing and you can take one up to Taormina for about 25 euros. The excursion to Castelmola and Taormina is very good. Also, the ones that include Mt. Etna.

We were supposed to go to Xlendi, but ended up tendering into a different town. Don't know why. All the tour buses were waiting at the new port. The Victoria's secrets excursion was very good.

Much appreciated!!