Respectful dress

koalapanda

May we ask those who have previously cruised Dubai to Athens for advice on appropriate dress for this itinerary's ports. We have no experience other than Dubai of Cruising Middle Eastern countries.

It is always appreciated by any culture to show respect in this small way.

Agreed with the above, except for the scarf/shawl on a woman’s head. I’ve been to Dubai several times and no one will look at you funny if your head isn’t covered. Unless you’re planning on visiting a mosque, then yes, cover your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Dubai, it's not necessary for women to wear long sleeves and a long skirt or pants and cover their heads as it is in some Islamic countries. It is, however, very strongly advised to cover your shoulders and knees at all times and avoid showing cleavage, wearing sheer tops, etc.

In Dubai, I usually wear short sleeve tops and pencil skirts that hit below the knee and carry a cardigan. Keep in mind that the outside temperatures are brutally hot but as a result, the air conditioning can be kept at arctic levels! I do better with the layers than I do long everything.

The same applies for Doha and Israel. In Israel, you'll see more skin but for touring holy sites you'll want to be more covered.

For the other countries, you'll want to be more covered - pants or maxi skirt and a longer sleeved top or jacket.

I always carry a nice scarf in my bag, just in case, in any Islamic country. I'd rather quickly fashion a headscarf in any questionable situation, especially out on the street.

Not related to dress, but always in my advice on Islamic countries, especially to women: You've been to Dubai so you've already seen that the Emerati *always* have the right of way. If you arrive at a doorway or escalator or a queue at the same time as an Emerati, they go first. There is no such thing as "ladies first". Similar things can sometimes apply in other Islamic countries too. I took a nasty tumble last year in Dubai because an Emerati rushed to get on an escalator I was about to step on an shoved me out of the way. I was also once thrown to the ground in Malaysia in an airport security line because I ended up (guided by security) between a man and the group of fully burka-ed women he was flying with. That said, both times were my own fault for not maintaining situational awareness.

If you plan to visit the Grand Mosque in Muscat (Oman) they were very strict with ladies entering and they had to comply fully with the dress requirements, men if they are wearing shorts they have to be long enough to fully cover the knees, it was the most strict of the Gulf states that we visited.

If you plan to visit the Grand Mosque in Muscat (Oman) they were very strict with ladies entering and they had to comply fully with the dress requirements, men if they are wearing shorts they have to be long enough to fully cover the knees, it was the most strict of the Gulf states that we visited.

Agree and assume this may be the case in other particular mosques as well. I was fully covered but the sleeves of my shirt were about 2" shy of my wrist bones. I was lucky to be admitted and treated to a big scowl.

Agree and assume this may be the case in other particular mosques as well. I was fully covered but the sleeves of my shirt were about 2" shy of my wrist bones. I was lucky to be admitted and treated to a big scowl.

In a Jordanian mosque, I was admitted with shorts and tee shirt. My wife had to don a burka (sans veil) in order to pass muster.

Thank you everyone for your responses. My thoughts are for me , Koala, and for Panda long sleeves and long pants. Alternatively a light weight long sleeved dress to pop over my fur/ clothes :) might be a choice in the heat.

I have experienced some cultural habits which is helpful. If any one has any more significant tips we would be grateful.

Koala, I am not sure if when we were there earlier in the year they were just being extra strict at the Blue Mosque. I was dressed in long sleeved top and long pants, I even had a shawl to put over my hair. I was still told I had to change into their supplied gown and head wear. It was a bit disconcerting but the beauty of the mosque was worth feeling quite warm with the extra layers. I was glad we were there later in the day when it was cooler.

Just another new cultural experience. My husband made sure he took photos.:D

• 2 weeks later...

For the mosque in Muscat, women’s ankles and wrists must be covered and translucent tops are not allowed, so forget gauzy linen tops. Even though it was 115 degrees when we were there, all the women had to be completely covered. Surprised no one fainted! Linda

What about footwear? No women’s sandals?

I do recall being issued coverups in mosques in New Delhi.

For the mosque in Muscat, women’s ankles and wrists must be covered and translucent tops are not allowed, so forget gauzy linen tops. Even though it was 115 degrees when we were there, all the women had to be completely covered. Surprised no one fainted! Linda