FYI about Wine by the Glass on Riviera

cruisingxpert

James, I think you are missing the gist of the whole thread. You are correct that one person complained that their favorite wine was not available. However, that is not what most of the thread is describing. There appears to be a frequent problem of running out of multiple wines on the wine by the glass list.

The wine by the glass selections are always somewhat limited in almost any restaurant - perhaps 8-10 reds, 8-10 whites, a rose or two and a couple of sparklers. Oceania is no different. A person who prefers Merlot will likely have one or two choices. Cabernets, Pinot Noirs, Chardonnays, Rieslings are similarly limited. There is something for everyone, but not really a huge choice but, if everything is available, one can find something on the list that appeals to their tastes. Actually I find them pretty well balanced with reasonable options for the vast majority of wine drinkers. That is, if they are all available.

When one buys a "Package" for an entire cruise I think it is reasonable to expect that one would have these choices for the duration of the cruise. According to a number of reports that is not always the case. I suppose this does not matter to some drinkers but in my experience a Chardonnay drinker is not too likely to care much for a Riesling. When (if) they run out of both Chardonnays (or cabs or whatever) some people are going to be unhappy especially if they have paid in advance with the expectation that the selection on the published wine list would be available.

Now your local restaurant might run out of one wine on their by the glass list for a day or two but will be able to get a restock or a good substitute from their wholesaler usually the next day. Oceania does not have this luxury. They have to plan well ahead. They certainly have the corporate resources to do this but do not seem to be doing a stellar job based on the number of comments on this thread.

At least that's the way I see it.

James, I think you are missing the gist of the whole thread. You are correct that one person complained that their favorite wine was not available. However, that is not what most of the thread is describing. There appears to be a frequent problem of running out of multiple wines on the wine by the glass list.

The wine by the glass selections are always somewhat limited in almost any restaurant - perhaps 8-10 reds, 8-10 whites, a rose or two and a couple of sparklers. Oceania is no different. A person who prefers Merlot will likely have one or two choices. Cabernets, Pinot Noirs, Chardonnays, Rieslings are similarly limited. There is something for everyone, but not really a huge choice but, if everything is available, one can find something on the list that appeals to their tastes. Actually I find them pretty well balanced with reasonable options for the vast majority of wine drinkers. That is, if they are all available.

When one buys a "Package" for an entire cruise I think it is reasonable to expect that one would have these choices for the duration of the cruise. According to a number of reports that is not always the case. I suppose this does not matter to some drinkers but in my experience a Chardonnay drinker is not too likely to care much for a Riesling. When (if) they run out of both Chardonnays (or cabs or whatever) some people are going to be unhappy especially if they have paid in advance with the expectation that the selection on the published wine list would be available.

Now your local restaurant might run out of one wine on their by the glass list for a day or two but will be able to get a restock or a good substitute from their wholesaler usually the next day. Oceania does not have this luxury. They have to plan well ahead. They certainly have the corporate resources to do this but do not seem to be doing a stellar job based on the number of comments on this thread.

I don't think I missed the gist at all. I was on the 18 day Transatlantic crossing and bought the premium beverage package and as far as I know, the ship never ran out of any of the "by the glass" wines. I drank the same rose, Chardonnay, merlot and Cabernet throughout the entire cruise. So, I don't understand how Oceania is slipping. Maybe I am just to big of a cheerleader fir Oceania. I will admit, I have limited cruising experience. I have only taken two previous crushes before I discovered Oceania and I have only sailed with Oceania 4 times, I belief Oceania is far and above all the other lines on which I have sailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think I missed the gist at all. I was on the 18 day Transatlantic crossing and bought the premium beverage package and as far as I know, the ship never ran out of any of the "by the glass" wines. I drank the same rose, Chardonnay, merlot and Cabernet throughout the entire cruise. So, I don't understand how Oceania is slipping. Maybe I am just to big of a cheerleader fir Oceania. I will admit, I have limited cruising experience. I have only taken two previous crushes before I discovered Oceania and I have only sailed with Oceania 4 times, I belief Oceania is far and above all the other lines on which I have sailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

James,

First of all, I agree with you that Oceania, overall, is a very fine cruise line. I, too, am a big cheerleader and often recommend Oceania to our travel friends.

Secondly, congratulations on not encountering wine shortages on your 4 cruises. We have taken 9 Oceania cruises and 10 on other lines. On 3 of our Oceania cruises we have encountered significant unavailability of wines on their list. Others on this thread report similar experiences.

Final comment - consistency is the goal and the hallmark of successful organizations. In my experience Oceania has achieved and sustained consistent standards in food quality, food service, housekeeping, ship interior maintenance among others. Dining room service meets a pretty high standard but varies a bit, most often when there are substantial staff changes. The Oceania wine program has not always been up to the standards they have met is other areas. In addition to the stocking issues noted in this thread the development and marketing of the Prestige Drink packages in the last couple of years has placed the Grand Dining Room sommeliers in overload. Lots more glasses to fill with apparently the same number of Soms has created some frustration among diners and also among the Soms who know they are not able to meet their own service expectations. Different issue than discussed in this thread but part of the overall wine program.

Oceania obviously has the managerial talent to sustain consistent high quality in a number of service areas with food quality being one of the lines' claims to fame. Good wine is, for many, an integral part of fine dining. Oceania needs to apply some of their talent to their wine program.

Robbie

Plus 1👍

I'm currently on Marina. There is definitely draft beer at Waves bar, I just checked yesterday. They have Newcastle and Heineken. .

Well I am not a beer drinker but when you mentioned they had draft beer onboard we went to check Waves bar on Riviera

they also have Newcastle & Heineken so for those that want beer on tap now they know where to find it :halo:

As a non drinker, as of this fall, they were making non alcoholic drinks at all bars for me as complimentary. I usually ordered a virgin pina colada, but others were available (just can’t remember what ones the bartender told me he could do anymore). There were several others.

this was the the Grand Bar menu

did not notice other Mocktails other than those 3 but I am sure the bartenders can make other foo foo drinks alcohol free

CIMG0029-M.jpg

Well I am not a beer drinker but when you mentioned they had draft beer onboard we went to check Waves bar on Riviera

they also have Newcastle & Heineken so for those that want beer on tap now they know where to find it :halo:

What is interesting is that I asked the bartender how long they've had it and he told me since the ship was new. Can't say I've ever noticed it before. Then again I rarely drink beer on a cruise.

What is interesting is that I asked the bartender how long they've had it and he told me since the ship was new. Can't say I've ever noticed it before. Then again I rarely drink beer on a cruise.

+ 1

wonder if they have it on the R ships also ?

James,

First of all, I agree with you that Oceania, overall, is a very fine cruise line. I, too, am a big cheerleader and often recommend Oceania to our travel friends.

Secondly, congratulations on not encountering wine shortages on your 4 cruises. We have taken 9 Oceania cruises and 10 on other lines. On 3 of our Oceania cruises we have encountered significant unavailability of wines on their list. Others on this thread report similar experiences.

Final comment - consistency is the goal and the hallmark of successful organizations. In my experience Oceania has achieved and sustained consistent standards in food quality, food service, housekeeping, ship interior maintenance among others. Dining room service meets a pretty high standard but varies a bit, most often when there are substantial staff changes. The Oceania wine program has not always been up to the standards they have met is other areas. In addition to the stocking issues noted in this thread the development and marketing of the Prestige Drink packages in the last couple of years has placed the Grand Dining Room sommeliers in overload. Lots more glasses to fill with apparently the same number of Soms has created some frustration among diners and also among the Soms who know they are not able to meet their own service expectations. Different issue than discussed in this thread but part of the overall wine program.

Oceania obviously has the managerial talent to sustain consistent high quality in a number of service areas with food quality being one of the lines' claims to fame. Good wine is, for many, an integral part of fine dining. Oceania needs to apply some of their talent to their wine program.

Robbie

+1. Well said.

We have sailed these ships since they were new and every time we ask if there is any beer on tap they reply they don't have draft beer. This is at the Terrace Cafe and Waves and the Horizons bar.

We have sailed these ships since they were new and every time we ask if there is any beer on tap they reply they don't have draft beer. This is at the Terrace Cafe and Waves and the Horizons bar.

Until ORV mentioned it I never took any notice but they did have it on Riviera at WAVES pool bar as of Sunday

we did check the other bars but no Taps present

we were on the 3 rd sailing of Marina & did not notice them then but again I do not drink beer so was not looking

just saying :halo:

I can guarantee they have it now, other than what the bartender told me I can't reliably say how long they've had it.

Edited by ORV

well I looked at my photos from Marina 2011

does it look like beer taps at the bar ??

Waves%20Bar-M.jpg

Yes it does, and that's exactly where they're at now, although the chairs are now black and I think the counter top is no longer that blue color, I think a brownish black. Apparently I'm not as observant as I used to be. We've only spent around 75 days on Marina in the last couple of years.

Yes it does, and that's exactly where they're at now, although the chairs are now black and I think the counter top is no longer that blue color, I think a brownish black. Apparently I'm not as observant as I used to be. We've only spent around 75 days on Marina in the last couple of years.

LOL

Obviously I am not as observant either

After you mentioned they had them I checked our photos & they were there all along :D

we rarely go to that bar for drinks