Kenai or copper river?

judy1960

I am looking to book my 5th Alaska trip and 2nd land tour. My first land tour was a 13 day with Royal Caribbean, but this one will be with Princess. Either a 13 or 14 day trip. Does anyone have advice on choosing either the Copper River princess wilderness lodge or the Kenai Princess wilderness lodge? Whichever I choose it is a 2 night option. Also, will there be enough darkness in August that there would be a good chance to see the northern lights in Fairbanks? Judy

I am looking to book my 5th Alaska trip and 2nd land tour. My first land tour was a 13 day with Royal Caribbean, but this one will be with Princess. Either a 13 or 14 day trip. Does anyone have advice on choosing either the Copper River princess wilderness lodge or the Kenai Princess wilderness lodge? Whichever I choose it is a 2 night option. Also, will there be enough darkness in August that there would be a good chance to see the northern lights in Fairbanks? Judy

I have nothing to contribute about the lodging... But here is a sunrise/sunset calendar for Fairbanks in August 2018 - I assumed you're going in 2018. Check the dates you'll be there. Just because it's sunset doesn't mean it's "dark" yet. I was there in early June this year and sunset was somewhere around 12:15 AM and sunrise was about 3:30 AM - it was never dark enough in those few hours to need headlights to drive...

25147058268_ba5f58156a_o.jpg

I've been to both locations, but with a car or rv. They are both lovely properties but VERY isolated. Without a vehicle you will be dependent on Princess excursions for any activities. You need to look at both lodge web sites to see what excursions are available and which appeal most to you.

We have stayed at both lodges, consider them both to be excellent. Princess has five lodges up here, three can be considered "wilderness" as they are out and away from the hustle and bustle of developments and high tourist activity. The other two cannot be considered wilderness, one is too close to downtown Fairbanks and the other is on the Edge of Denali National Park in the midst of what many call "Glitter Gulch" a visitor haunt for the sightseers interested in our great mountain "Denali" (Used to be called Mt. McKinley).

If you are going to go it alone, Kenai would be more appropriate for your own rental vehicle as driving distances to sightseeing in Wrangell, St. Elias National Park are much greater and challenging. However, B.Q. has mastered that for the Kennicott-McCarthy---see these links.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2142971&highlight=McCarthy

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2466777

I have nothing to contribute about the lodging... But here is a sunrise/sunset calendar for Fairbanks in August 2018 - I assumed you're going in 2018. Check the dates you'll be there. Just because it's sunset doesn't mean it's "dark" yet. I was there in early June this year and sunset was somewhere around 12:15 AM and sunrise was about 3:30 AM - it was never dark enough in those few hours to need headlights to drive..

Thanks SuperCrewBear. Your post tells me there shouldn’t be enough darkness or see the northern lights. That was the reason I was interested in going to Fairbanks. The hotel even has it listed as an excursion, but doesn’t specify what time of year.

I think I will book the tour with Copper River lodge as I want to go to Kennicott. I want to take the tour as opposed to going on our own. I really enjoy the information and history that the tour guides give us. The links from Kennicott were really helpful. Thanks everyone

I don't know if this is your itinerary but this trip report from 2015 includes Copper River. The report is from mimmy52 and is very detailed and photo heavy.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2243510

Thanks for the link Mapleleaves. I just read the whole thing! I did book this morning for probably the same exact cruisetour. I decided to do it with Fairbanks in the middle of the tour.

I have seen aurora from mid August- BUT- you need a car. It's a poor idea to even think about any "tour", and cruise tour lodging in Fairbanks won't allow you to get out the light.

I am a big fan of Kennicott. I'd suggest you try and arrange some kind of tour with Mountain Air- and GET a fly in tour- to save time with includes either glacier trekking or a mine tour- I've done both and just superb opportunities. The challenge will be your transportation. I don't know what is available, but- frankly at any cost- it's going to be far superior than just wasting this opportunity doing an alternative lacking option.