Noticeable security travelling through the Middle East?

Corony

There seems to be more stories out in recent months about ISIS and their intentions to move some of their operations to the oceans. Also lots of so called experts stating how they feel cruise ships are a logical target due to their lack of armed security and the fact that they are clear symbols of western society. I am wondering from those that have cruised the Athens-Dubai route what if any extra measures they take when sailing these waters. Are there any extra steps that are noticeable on a day to day basis?

Yes, armed guards come aboard for a few days, from a special ship anchored somewhere off the coast of Somalia I think. You may find this article interesting ...http://www.maritimeherald.com/2017/cruise-ship-industry-booming-middle-east/

When we sailed on Seaborn Pride from Singapore to Athens in 2013, coils of razor wire went around the lower stern deck rail when we were off Sumartra.

In Dubai 4 British ex-marines came aboard; they loaded their weapons onboard off Oman; an effigy with a fake heavy machine gun was placed on each side at the stern. We also had two sound blasters on each side.

When they did a 10% power test one day I could feel it in my chest ( I was inside, behind the unit and 2 decks below.)

We had a large sign each side warning all boats to keep 400m clear.

From Salalah to Safaga we travelled in convoy with other ships doing the same speed (12 knots).

We had a tanker off our starboard bow and a freighter off our port stern, visibility was poor because of the dust in the air.

Apparently if one ship is attacked the other ships in the convoy close up to give covering fire.

Also there were destroyers all along our route with helicopters patroling constantly.

We felt quite safe.

Edited by SKP946

Corony over the past months you have been making various enquiries re this itinerary or part repositioning. We are sailing this itinerary in 2018.

Our feelings are Seabourn would not sail where it is unsafe. In the past we had cruised the Gulf of Aden where Pirates are a problem. The Cruise company had an armed boat following the ship. Onboard armed Commando's in uniform wearing their stripes who sailed with us for days. I am confident this would be Seabourns priority for security if intelligence came to light that there was a threat.

Seabourn having experienced Pirate threat is probably the most aware Cruise line regarding security.

Edited by koalapanda

Thanks for the answers. We too are sailing Athens to Singapore next year and although we like to temper all that is available in today's news feeds its nice to hear some first hand accounts. We have no intention of ever cancelling as I too believe that if Seabourn genuinely felt there was a risk to its passengers they would alter their plans. As well, we refuse to be intimidated by some of the current situations happening today without being overtly foolish. Looks like a lot of interesting ports along with a few sea days where we hope there are no mechanical or water supply issues!!😦

Scott

OP: During our 2016 Dubai-Monte Carlo trip, four ex-special forces types and their weapons joined the boat after we left the Straight of Hormuz and stayed aboard until we were well within the Red Sea. Made us all feel very safe. Additionally,before comiitting to the journey, I research the history of piracy in those waters, and it had been four years since a successful pirate raid on a ship.

I sailed on the Encore a year ago, the same itinerary. The security boarded and we felt safe. That area seems more quiet now, I haven't heard of any recent incidents.

Of course the passage does take you past Yemen, but at that point the sea is fairly wide and the ship is far from land.