All aboard 1 hr prior to leaving ports. Truth or Fiction?

Karysa

Cruised Carnival and RCL in the past 6 months and we had to be back on board 30 minutes prior to port departures. I just read that on NCL you must be back on board 1 hour prior to departure from ports. Is this something that is enforced on the ships or is this more of a suggestion? With 3 port departures at 5 pm that extra 30 minutes could be better spent on the beach.:D

I'm not sure where you have "read" this so I cannot dispute what you have seen.

In March, passengers had to be on board no later than 1/2 hour before sailing at ports (I'm not talking about embarkation, that has a different set of rules). So unless the rules have changed since March it is still 30 minutes.

This information is not from memory but directly from my freestyle dailies.

I'm not sure where you have "read" this so I cannot dispute what you have seen.

In March, passengers had to be on board no later than 1/2 hour before sailing at ports (I'm not talking about embarkation, that has a different set of rules). So unless the rules have changed since March it is still 30 minutes.

This information is not from memory but directly from my freestyle dailies.

It's part of this FAQ on NCL's site: http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19271

Boarding Time in Ports of Call:

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship.

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship.

Thanks horseman as I said, I really didn't have a dispute, since I didn't know where they read it. I guess I read through them but my main concern was what I was told on my particular ship.

In saying that I would never leave it till the last minute anyway to board since my watch may for some reason have slowed down and not be accurate. A big fear of mine cruising is missing the ship. We give ourselves lots of time to reboard.

Exactly the place where I read it.

Guests have to be onboard 1 hour to departure at the embarkation port only. All other ports it's 30 minutes-unless it's a tender port. Crew only, have to be back on board 1 hour prior to departure. 30 minutes before departure at the ports of call, gives them time to pull up the gangway, untie the ropes etc. ready to depart on time.

Thanks horseman as I said, I really didn't have a dispute, since I didn't know where they read it. I guess I read through them but my main concern was what I was told on my particular ship.

In saying that I would never leave it till the last minute anyway to board since my watch may for some reason have slowed down and not be accurate. A big fear of mine cruising is missing the ship. We give ourselves lots of time to reboard.

Of course leaving a buffer to get back to the ship is a must. But being on board 30 minutes earlier than I had thought is 30 minutes less in the port of call. That is a particular bummer to me when in a port like St. Maarten when you must leave a significant amount of "buffer" time due to the traffic and now presently the road construction.

I will plan for 1 hour and checkwhile on board as others suggested.

Something as important as the correct time to be back on board should be clear and not something left up to each ship especially when it is in the FAQs section of their website.

It was 30 minutes prior to scheduled sail time (on ports - the rules are different on embarkation day). Your on-board time will be included in your daily newsletter that arrives the night before. They also announce it several times while passengers are getting off the boat at the various ports.

That being said - in more than one port we sailed a good 30 minutes early....... I'm assuming that was because the passenger tracking system showed everybody was aboard!!!!

Even on embarkation day - we left about 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled time.

With that in mind - I always aimed for an hour - just in case!!!

Guests have to be onboard 1 hour to departure at the embarkation port only. All other ports it's 30 minutes-unless it's a tender port. Crew only, have to be back on board 1 hour prior to departure. 30 minutes before departure at the ports of call, gives them time to pull up the gangway, untie the ropes etc. ready to depart on time.

It is on their website and probably on the cruise documentation that you must be on board one hour prior to sailing from ports of call.

Difficult to dispute this if you miss the ship because it left early because they were trying to miss an incoming storm or something along that line.

It is on their website and probably on the cruise documentation that you must be on board one hour prior to sailing from ports of call.

Difficult to dispute this if you miss the ship because it left early because they were trying to miss an incoming storm or something along that line.

What controls this is the information that is contained in the Freestyle Daily. Ship's time is also controlling and that is in the Freestyle Daily as well.

What controls this is the information that is contained in the Freestyle Daily. Ship's time is also controlling and that is in the Freestyle Daily as well.

Tell that to the Insurance Company when you tell them that you were at the port 40 minutes to sail time and the ship had left. One click on the NCL website would tell them that you were suppose to be on board one hour before sail away at ports of call.

The simple thing would be for NCL to just change their website to what their practice is.

If the norm is 30 minutes then write 30 minutes. Even if they wrote 30 minutes unless told differently at each individual port.

Yes, the one hour "rule" is also in the Guest Ticket Contract, but you're really getting too worked up over this. The ship's captain is like the absolute monarch of a small country and has the right to set the rules for his vessel. (In fact the Guest Ticket Contract also says you are required to obey the lawful orders of the ship's captain and officers.) If the Freestyle Daily and the sign posted on the gangway say 30 minutes, then that time has been authorized by the captain and can be relied upon.

Tell that to the Insurance Company when you tell them that you were at the port 40 minutes to sail time and the ship had left. One click on the NCL website would tell them that you were suppose to be on board one hour before sail away at ports of call.

The simple thing would be for NCL to just change their website to what their practice is.

If the norm is 30 minutes then write 30 minutes. Even if they wrote 30 minutes unless told differently at each individual port.

And all you have to do to prove your case is show the time printed in the Freestyle Daily, which represents the official instructions of the ship's captain.

Yes, the one hour "rule" is also in the Guest Ticket Contract, but you're really getting too worked up over this. The ship's captain is like the absolute monarch of a small country and has the right to set the rules for his vessel. (In fact the Guest Ticket Contract also says you are required to obey the lawful orders of the ship's captain and officers.) If the Freestyle Daily and the sign posted on the gangway say 30 minutes, then that time has been authorized by the captain and can be relied upon.

With 7 ports that is 3 and 1/2 hours of port time that I thought I had that I may not really have. Antigua, St. Maarten and Barbados are the ports where we sail away at 5 and I was planning on spending the afternoons on the beach.

I guess I will just hope that the Captain does to!!

Cruised Carnival and RCL in the past 6 months and we had to be back on board 30 minutes prior to port departures. I just read that on NCL you must be back on board 1 hour prior to departure from ports. Is this something that is enforced on the ships or is this more of a suggestion? With 3 port departures at 5 pm that extra 30 minutes could be better spent on the beach.:D

This applies more to embarkation than to the ports along the way. I will mention a couple of things: 1-you are best not to push your luck and 2-that 1/2 hour on the beach could be spent by the pool on the ship. When you are ready to reach the ports NCL will let you know what time to be back on board.

NIta

And all you have to do to prove your case is show the time printed in the Freestyle Daily, which represents the official instructions of the ship's captain.

Note to self: Things to take to port: Ship Card, Passport, Credit Card, Daily

Of course leaving a buffer to get back to the ship is a must. But being on board 30 minutes earlier than I had thought is 30 minutes less in the port of call. That is a particular bummer to me when in a port like St. Maarten when you must leave a significant amount of "buffer" time due to the traffic and now presently the road construction.

I will plan for 1 hour and checkwhile on board as others suggested.

Something as important as the correct time to be back on board should be clear and not something left up to each ship especially when it is in the FAQs section of their website.

Seriously Karysa, you started a thread asking for the opinions of those that have been on an NCL cruise. We have all given you our experiences and yes the FAQ and the contract say 1 hour. If you do not wish to believe anything but the FAQ or the contract. Why come and ask in the first place.

People are telling you that in the end what the ship tells you in your daily and what is posted at the gangway is really all that matters, it is up to you whether you wish to believe this. If you are afraid of not having proof, then take a photo of the freestyle daily that gives the time and the gangway sign.

This applies more to embarkation than to the ports along the way. I will mention a couple of things: 1-you are best not to push your luck and 2-that 1/2 hour on the beach could be spent by the pool on the ship. When you are ready to reach the ports NCL will let you know what time to be back on board.

NIta

Not a pool person.

If you are looking for a down to the minute guarantee you are not going to get it.

Perhaps cruising is not your cup-o-tea. Its a ship and the captain will make it clear what time to be back on board.

If you would like to wait until the very last minute that is your choice . Plus there are those of us that look forward to the few that do the pier dash at every port . Its quite entertaining ;)

Archived