Honolulu pre-cruise hotel

anandaindonesia

You'll probably want to look at the Waikiki hotels which will allow you easy walking access to the beach, restaurants, shopping and attractions. You won't need a car unless you really want to get out of the city.

Look for a hotel which does not charge a daily resort fee, usually @ $30. Many also charge a similar daily fee for parking. You may find some which covers a daily breakfast, valuable in Hawaii where breakfasts can run $28 to $30 pp. We like Embassy Suites as the two room suites include a free daily cooked to order breakfast/buffet and a two hour nightly Managers reception with munchies and unlimited free mixed to order drinks. And no daily resort fees.

Two that I think of with great locations are the Queen Kapiolani and the Park Shore Waikiki. Both are on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki with views and pool decks looking out to Kapiolani Park, Diamond Head, and the ocean.

Last year we stayed at the Queen Kapiolani and were pleasantly surprised. The room and view were wonderful, complimentary beach chairs and a very nice staff. We had a car and paid for parking at the hotel. There was a resort charge of $16 which is hard to get away from in Waikiki.

It has been two years since we stayed at the Park Shore so I do not know if they offer complimentary beach chairs. This hotel is across the street from Waikiki beach, one block closer than the QK.

I do not eat at buffets at home so the inclusion of a breakfast buffet is not a big deal to me. If I am lucky enough to be enjoying breakfast in Waikiki I want to be enjoying a nice view and great food. My choice for this is Lulu's which is basically attached to the Park Shore and one block from Queen Kapiolani.

If you have a car and want to go with a Starwood property like Sheraton, Moana Surfrider (our favorite Waikiki hotel), etc. their resort fee includes parking for one car. Depending on when you are going they have some good rates. Sometimes they have fabulous rates if you are a member of their loyalty program. Enjoy, Cherie

• 2 weeks later...

If cost is your biggest concern check out Hotwire or Priceline.

Although I saw a few sketchy places in Waikiki I assume they have low star ratings. Pick something 3.5 or higher & I bet you get a good value even if you get stuck with the dreaded resort fee.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber hotel. Literally across the street from the beach. Loved it! Room was really nice, pool had good towels we took to beach to use - no problem. Right on main strip - tons of stores, restaurants, etc. We took outrigger right across street on beach - they also did surf lessons. Duke's is right there, also.

If you or someone in your group is active duty or retired military (or DoD) there is the Hale Koa. It's right on Waikiki Beach next door to the Hilton. Great hotel with it's own restaurants and very inexpensive. I am paying about $137 a night for an ocean view room. :)

If you or someone in your group is active duty or retired military (or DoD) there is the Hale Koa. It's right on Waikiki Beach next door to the Hilton. Great hotel with it's own restaurants and very inexpensive. I am paying about $137 a night for an ocean view room. :)

We are booked at this hotel. Great price for being on the beach.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Just stayed at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach - it was excellent. Clean, newly renovated room with breakfast provided. The next day we were next door at the cruise line provided hotel - Aston Waikiki Beach and it was horrible - tiny, dirty, outdated room. Granted we didn't get to pick the room type since it was provided - but I will not stay here again. There may be better rooms than what we got, but the room we were in was bad.

We just stayed at the Hotel Renew. We booked a premium ocean view room and had a balcony. It was small but very clean and staff went out of their way to be helpful. The location was perfect, could walk or bus anywhere you want to go.

• 3 weeks later...
We are staying at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach precruise because of the location, free breakfast & free wi-fi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We love this place!!!!!

Did 4 land (island) vacations and stayed here.

The only drawback is the pool, but the beach is so close.

Enjoy

We just stayed at the Hotel Renew. We booked a premium ocean view room and had a balcony. It was small but very clean and staff went out of their way to be helpful. The location was perfect, could walk or bus anywhere you want to go.

Every hotel in Waikiki allows you to walk or bus anywhere you want to go. Waikiki is a very small area.

Anybody know about the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa hotel? We booked a package through NCL and this is the hotel.

Don't let them put you in the Paoakalini Tower (back tower), ask for the Kealohilani Tower (ocean front).

From the front tower the Marriott is a very nice hotel.

Anybody know about the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa hotel? We booked a package through NCL and this is the hotel.

Thanksw

Call them about a month before the stay and let them know you are celebrating either a birthday or anniversary and could they please note on the reservation for any free upgrades. Worked for us as they bumped us to ocean view when we arrived.

Anybody know anything about The Ilikai?

Not a favorite of mine.

It was a premier hotel 30 years ago. It was the tower where Jack Lord stood as the helicopter zoomed in in the intro to the old Hawaii 5-0.

But I think its time has come and gone. It is 1/3 hotel, 2/3 condo. If you are staying ten days, it is fine as a condo, but for one or two nights, I'd get a hotel room.

Thanks scottaca075 . I was wondering about that, but it has good reviews on TA.....We do have a hotel room booked there, post cruise, for three nights. No cancellation fees, so will rethink it.

Anyone else have any input?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks scottaca075 . I was wondering about that, but it has good reviews on TA.....We do have a hotel room booked there, post cruise, for three nights. No cancellation fees, so will rethink it.

For some reason Australians love this place (Ilikai). I'd guess 80% of the TA reviews are from Aussies.

If you ask on TA none of the regulars will recommend the Ilikai, and I think with good reason.

Not a favorite of mine.

It was a premier hotel 30 years ago. It was the tower where Jack Lord stood as the helicopter zoomed in in the intro to the old Hawaii 5-0.

But I think its time has come and gone. It is 1/3 hotel, 2/3 condo. If you are staying ten days, it is fine as a condo, but for one or two nights, I'd get a hotel room.

Just saw this thread and, as to the Ilikai, 30 years ago is being kind. We stayed there on our honeymoon 50 years ago this coming August.

• 1 month later...