cabin location

Travels with Lisa

This will be my first Seabourn cruise and we went with a "guarantee". We've been assigned a cabin on deck 7, almost in the bow of the ship. I've never traveled so far forward - any insight on how much rock and roll we will have? I understand, you can't predict the seas, but just a general feel.

thanks

Liz

The odyssey-class ships are pretty stable in my experience, and under normal conditions you will barely be aware you are at sea.

We had 714 once which is fairly close to the bow. No problems except for one very rough night - but then again, most anywhere on the ship was uncomfortable. Sea-sickness pills readily dispensed at Seabourn Square and very effective.

No need to worry.

Thankfully, I’m one of those individuals who seems “immune“ the seasickness. Remember one horrible cruise (on some giant 3000 person ship) with me were about 150 of us total in the dining room.

That said, I agree that The odyssey class ships seem incredibly stable. We have been in 508, and are sailing in 509 in a couple weeks. I’ve never noticed more than comfortable gentle rocking except when we went through the Straits of Magellan on the Sojourn a few years ago. Even then, the ship was amazingly steady.

My wife has a tendency to be sensitive to "motion of the ocean", so we don't book forward staterooms. Rough seas and a far forward location are a recipe for disaster for her! So we don't book "guarantee" rooms, despite a favorable price.

We just returned from Quest and were assigned 703 after booking a guarantee. I was amazed at the lack of motion. We had no problem at all and I am very susceptible to motion sickness. I would not hesitate to book a guarantee again!

Obviously, when the seas are rough, forward cabins will rock more. The captain would typically deploy stabilizers in rough seas, but often times they are no match for swells.

Stabilizers only affect the roll (side to side) motion, not the pitch (front to back).

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
Thankfully, I’m one of those individuals who seems “immune“ the seasickness. Remember one horrible cruise (on some giant 3000 person ship) with me were about 150 of us total in the dining room.

That said, I agree that The odyssey class ships seem incredibly stable. We have been in 508, and are sailing in 509 in a couple weeks. I’ve never noticed more than comfortable gentle rocking except when we went through the Straits of Magellan on the Sojourn a few years ago. Even then, the ship was amazingly steady.

We are on Odyssey next Septaember in 509, have you any good or bad reports??

Thankyou

How was 509 on your recent Caribbean cruise? We were in 610 and I was surprised that we heard a lot of noise from the mechanical operations of the ship. The seas were rough causing rolling and pitching which was expected but the grinding of gears at what I thought were course changes and anchoring was surprising. I realize that mid ship cabins will be quieter.

• 2 weeks later...