Newbie Question re Photographer & Shore Trips

napria

Some of you may have seen my occasional posts. We're going to the Caribbean on the Wind at the end of March and we haven't cruised for over 30 years.

I've read a lot of things on Cruise Critic about Ship Photographers and how intrusive they can be, but nothing on the Silversea sub forum. Are there ship photographers on Silversea ships?

Also, when you leave the ship, what do you generally take with you? What if you're planning on swimming and shopping? On your own or on an Excursion? Do you have a waterproof "wallet" for the beach?

I've read a lot of things on Cruise Critic about Ship Photographers and how intrusive they can be...
What is a “Ship Photographer”?
Also, when you leave the ship, what do you generally take with you?
Backpack
Do you have a waterproof "wallet" for the beach?
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know, Stumblefoot. Are you concerned with the safety of your backpack when you swim? (Do you swim?)
Yes, I swim. And, no, I don’t worry about the safety of the backpack because I don’t hold anything of value in it if I know we’re going swimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Napria,

There are photography staff on board expedition cruises. They aren't there to take pictures of you (per se, though you are often in the picture) but to document the journey. At the end of the voyage they sell a DVD with a 45-60 minute video documentary of the journey and also provide a bunch of pictures. We've bought them on 3 of 4 cruises (with OBC, mind you) and they are usually pretty well-done.

But they are not in any way intrusive. They are passionate about their work and are always willing to talk shop with any of you who want to learn more about photography.

On the mainstream vessels? No photographer. So no worries for you!

PS - we will be in your neck of the woods in a few weeks. Coming to Atlanta for New Year's Eve. Looking forward to actually flying to ATL and not changing planes to go somewhere else. Our first actual visit there.

Great information JP! (or Chris?).

Hope you enjoy Atlanta. We're actually about 45 minutes to an hour drive north of the city. We love it up here, but don't venture into the city that often. No real reason other than there's so much to do up here that we don't really think of going into the city.

Hi Napria, There are photography staff on board expedition cruises. They aren't there to take pictures of you (per se, though you are often in the picture) but to document the journey. At the end of the voyage they sell a DVD with a 45-60 minute video documentary of the journey and also provide a bunch of pictures. We've bought them on 3 of 4 cruises (with OBC, mind you) and they are usually pretty well-done. But they are not in any way intrusive. They are passionate about their work and are always willing to talk shop with any of you who want to learn more about photography. On the mainstream vessels? No photographer. So no worries for you! PS - we will be in your neck of the woods in a few weeks. Coming to Atlanta for New Year's Eve. Looking forward to actually flying to ATL and not changing planes to go somewhere else. Our first actual visit there.

YES! Excellent background and details from J.P. Very good "catch" in noting the difference as to how things are done on the expedition ships . . . versus . . . on the normal Silversea cruises. From our five cruises with Silversea's regular ship, no hassles or worries with being bothered by the "photo hustles". Good luck to those in Atlanta with the snow and winter weather.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,154 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I remember us being surprised back in 2012 that there were no ship’s photographers on Silversea. We were used to the ever present photographers on Holland America. We found that the staff or fellow cruisers are more than happy to take a photo and that’s good enough for us.

We found that the staff or fellow cruisers are more than happy to take a photo and that’s good enough for us.

Great, added, smart point by Randy. YES! Other passengers and/or staff are happy to be helpful in snapping a picture for you. And with the digital technology today, you can check the results and/or do editing on your laptop to get the cropping, exposure, etc., at a better level. Less need these days for those pesky ship photo packages that are over-priced and not always that creative/good.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,156 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

If you are on the World Cruise a series of lectures on using camera's, iphone, ipad's and composition of the picture is usually give by Tracy Fleming. These were very informative and many guests had questions answered that had confused them for years.

Joe

I can vouch for Tracy Fleming. Her husband is Jon Fleming who lectures on the destinations, he is charming and his lectures are very informative.

We first met them on the Muse in September from Montreal to FLL, and not being able to make Tracy's lectures, watched on the TV later in the day, and sat with pen and pencil, avidly writing down everything she said. Unfortunately I missed her second lecture before disembarking.

Imagine my joy at finding that Jon was destination lecturer on our last cruise on the Shadow from Singapore to Sydney, and eagerly wanted to find out if his wife was accompanying him. So I now have more notes which I have to transcribe, having managed to see her second lecture on this last cruise.

She is very approachable and helpful, particularly with passengers who no little about Ipads and Iphones, so if you are lucky enough to be sailing with her, don't hesitate to ask her about whatever you do not understand.

Happy cruising

Kindest regards

Master Echo

PS if you are more than fortunate to be sailing with Silver Spectre he is a mine of information and will be only too happy to help you.

• 1 month later...
Great information JP! (or Chris?).

Hope you enjoy Atlanta. We're actually about 45 minutes to an hour drive north of the city. We love it up here, but don't venture into the city that often. No real reason other than there's so much to do up here that we don't really think of going into the city.

I grew up in Atlanta, neat Buckhead, before Cumberland Mall was built. We used to love going to Dalonaga, Helen and areas North. Also boating out of Bald Ridge Marina at Lake Lanier. That was where 400 ended back in the day. Life insurance agent was in Norcross. Sorry, I miss Atlanta at times. Not now with the crazy traffic.

We are on the Muse on the 13th. Was hoping you and Norcalman were in that cruise, but your's will be awesome.

Have fun. It's our 1st SS cruise as well.

Doug

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hi Doug! We're actually in Alpharetta. We regularly rent boats from Bald Ridge Marina in the summer. Originally from Boston (me) and Long Island, NY (hubby). Love it here! Neither of us has to travel very far for work, so traffic isn't too much of a problem. I'd love to sail on the Muse, but haven't found an itinerary I like yet.

What is a “Ship Photographer”?

Thats when you give your camera to one of the staff to take your group photos! lol

OP..... Funnily I asked the same thing a year ago, knowing I would be snorkeling but carrying with me my camera gear and lenses and also drone, not to mention cash.

Where we went, there was members of the third party tour staff on the beach, but I wasn't altogether happy with the fact leaving £1000's of gear unattended it was all completely uninsured and far from secure. Fortunately the snorkelling on Dominica was poor, so I wasnt in the water for long....... and had time to go fly the drone instead. Much more fun.

For activities like this though, they should (IMHO) have someone therefrom SS who you can depend on to stand guard.

Everything worked fine - but there were lots of locals wandering the beach and it would only take one dishonest person to potentially ruin a holiday. If I were to do that trip again (and I know I wouldnt, but...) I would leave the gear on the ship.

Which cruise are you on? Hopefully one thats on St Baths between 15 Mar 2018 – 18 Mar 2018 and get treated to the Bucket Regatta. You're in for a treat if you are.

Les, I've enjoyed seeing your drone videos on YouTube :)

We're going on a later cruise, but we've been to St. Barth many times before. We're just happy to be seeing the Island again!

Yes, St Barth's is a great Island to visit, but the regatta we were treated to really was the highlight of the cruise even if we hadn't appreciated it at the time. Some of the yachts were incredible ... Especially passing the Wind about 50 yards away.

Have you been on top of the hill to watch the aircraft come in? Its one of "those" difficult places to land - so maybe worth a view instead of Shell beach and those pricey shops!

Glad you enjoy the videos. I've still got the footage I mentioned on Dominica (Scott's Head) but like much of the footage taken, never get the chance to exit. Have just posted something taken in Venice last year of the cloud (sea not silver) departing. I need to retire to give me the spare time I need!

Edited by les37b