Free/included mediterranean excursions

jmmiva

I'm trying to plan ahead of a may 6 Rome to Barcelona cruise and wondered if anyone can tell me what excursions are free. For example, in Livorno we plan to go to Florence for the day. If the included excursion is a bus ride to Florence 10 of us will do that. If not we will book an excursion on our own. Really don't want to do a guided tour on a bus with 50 people.

Also, has anybody been in Cannes during the film festival? We are there Thursday during the festival.

Looking at the cruise I don’t see any free included tours but maybe I’m missing something on Silversea’s website. Included tours are not available on every cruise. That said on the one or two Med cruises we’ve been on where Silversea offered free tours those were really very basic excursions and nothing like an extensive all day tour to Florence from Livorno. We were lucky the one time we stopped at Livorno as it was an overnight so we had plenty of time to catch a train into Florence early in the morning and came back to the ship about 10 PM that night. Long day but we self-guided ourselves in Florence, ate lunch and dinner there, and caught one of the last trains back to Livorno.

Also, has anybody been in Cannes during the film festival? We are there Thursday during the festival.

Hi, I've attended the festival often, but to be honest unless you are attending the festival itself and have passes then I suspect that Cannes during the festival isn't a particularly pleasant place to be unless you hope to see famous people. A lot of pavement is cordoned off and the place and restaurants are crowded. You would be wise to book for lunch if you plan to eat there.

A decent place to eat is Gaston & Gastounette.

http://gastongastounette.wixsite.com/gastongastounette

They have a decent daily fixed price lunch menu if you are interested.

http://gastongastounette.wixsite.com/gastongastounette/menu-dejeuner