Rooms with a View in Alaska

heretohavefun2#

We just returned (thanksgiving) from our first cruise it was on Royal Caribbean and we loved it..We had a balcony and for the first trip we may be ruined...So while on board at Breakfast we spoke to people that had been to Alaska several couples and all of them said just get a balcony...MY QUESTION is ...in May other than the sights would it be too cool to have coffee on the balcony and would a room with a Virtual balcony give you the same views...Thank you in advance.:cool:

If you're used to Floridian temps, you certainly won't use your balcony as much as you did in the Caribbean on a May AK cruise... but since you'll need to dress warmly anyway when on deck and in ports, it's not like you couldn't also do so on your own balcony.

Personally we've never bothered with a balcony in Alaska though - getting the best views of glaciers, wildlife etc. means being mobile so even a corner balcony room is less than ideal for that. Plough the cash saved by going Window or even Inside room into excursions - you'll find these are generally a LOT pricier than in the Caribbean, since even for similar tours AK has higher expenses (pricey to ship stuff in, must make their entire year's tourist income over 6-7 months rather than 12, and excursion staff have US expectations of wages rather than 2nd/3rd world wages) - expect sticker shock!

I have no idea what a virtual balcony is. You have long days for viewing in Alaska. If you don’t get a balcony at least plan to spend your time out and about viewing the incredible scenery and wildlife from viewing areas on the ship (inside and outside).

We just returned (thanksgiving) from our first cruise it was on Royal Caribbean and we loved it..We had a balcony and for the first trip we may be ruined...So while on board at Breakfast we spoke to people that had been to Alaska several couples and all of them said just get a balcony...MY QUESTION is ...in May other than the sights would it be too cool to have coffee on the balcony and would a room with a Virtual balcony give you the same views...Thank you in advance.:cool:

I took my 1st Alaskan cruise last year during the 1st & 2nd weeks of May - 10-days. We had a mini suite on NCL Pearl. I really don't think I'd be happy without a balcony. It's nice to have your own outside space. I did a lot of viewing from the outdoor public spaces but while in the room if something caught my eye it was great to be able to walk outside for a better look - I kept a pair of binoculars on a shelf just inside the patio door. Below is something I did multiple evenings - I like looking through my pictures from the day. We had nice weather but weather can be anything...no promises. There's no virtual replacement for a breath of fresh air. :)

27247945111_a78231a0fb_b.jpg

We do like balconies. Never did an inside but have had lots of ocean view cabins over the years. Been there done that. On our cruises anymore, no balcony, no cruise.

However, as many indicate, spending a lot of time on the open decks walking around and from side to side is great as well. So I do both, the balcony and the open deck bit. When I get a little chilly or tired, I head for the cabin where I'm still able to take in the vistas, albeit one side only but from a more comfortable atmosphere.

I love Balconies for Alaska, like others said if it is too cold you can shut the glass doors and still be able to watch the beautiful scenery go by. I have done 4 Alaska cruises, I only felt 1 of them was almost to cold (but blankets and layers of clothes fixed that) it would not be a deal breaker if I could not get a balcony. I love the beauty of Alaska and would go anyway.