Are the waters relatively smooth VC to Hawaii in Sept?

giadav

We are very experienced cruisers and it must be by pure luck that we have had smooth seas for almost every day at sea. Just curious on what to expect for this cruise from VC to Hawaii in Sept. Thanks.

What is VC? Never seen that short hand. Vancouver?

The seas are not predictable. They can easily be on the rougher side the first couple of days...discussed here frequently. Or they might be calm. Likely they will be somewhere in between.

Anytime you board a ship, you must be prepared for the possibility of rough seas.

Agree that the seas are not predictable, but our trip on the Star Princess last Sept. 23 was very calm and warm. Even Vancouver was lovely until the rain started the morning we were leaving to fly home (Oct. 10). Hope you're as lucky as we were!

Vancouver? In your "experience", how often have you sailed transPacific?

My experience, this has been a rougher area, and never has there not been at least 1 "rougher" day. All those open ocean sea days, tends to reason, chances are pretty good. :)

Boulders and budget queen, I believe I am booked on the same cruise as OP. You both have made me feel a bit more worried, lol. This will be our 15th cruise but first cruise to Hawaii and first transpacific cruise. I never gave it a thought that things would be a lot different.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I never gave it a thought that things would be a lot different.

"Could" is a much more appropriate word in this sentence.

As mentioned frequently on Cruise Critic, and in this thread, seas are not predictable . I am not sure why people go on cruises and automatically expect the seas to be calm. You are on a floating object on an ocean! There are many variables...currents, wind, storms, etc. One should never go on a cruise expecting flat seas!

"Could" is a much more appropriate word in this sentence.

As mentioned frequently on Cruise Critic, and in this thread, seas are not predictable . I am not sure why people go on cruises and automatically expect the seas to be calm. You are on a floating object on an ocean! There are many variables...currents, wind, storms, etc. One should never go on a cruise expecting flat seas!

CruiserBruce, I'm a seasoned cruiser. I know better than to 'expect' calm seas on a cruise and have experienced rough seas before, even in the Caribbean. I know the nature of nature and know that weather can change on a dime. What I was trying to say is that I didn't give it a thought that a transpacific cruise could or would be much different than any other cruise in that respect.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a decade since I worked with an organization that predicted ocean weather.

The "skill" of the weather models 14 days out was blindfold-and-dartboard quality, so you can imagine how

meaningless any predictions a month out are. But those forecasts got a lot better the closer to the present

that you were looking. And the cruise lines *were* looking and paying big bucks for "route recommendations".

It's a good bet they still try to avoid heavy seas unless there's no other way to get from A to B on time.

Sailing from the West Coast to Hawaii, once in Oct, I have seen cooler & a little rougher seas for the first day or so then smooth sailing the rest of the way, same coming back & closer to the West Coast. In April of 2014 coming off the Transpacific then 12 day Hawaii back to Seattle the seas were smooth

We have done 2 YVR to Hawaii cruises in Sept & both were a bit rough coming out out of YVR when you hit the open ocean. No bother to us but many spent that night & next day in their cabins;p;p.We are looking at doing it again in 2019 so not sure what that says;p:D

We have done Vancouver - Hawaii twice and Hawaii - Vancouver twice and not experienced anything I would call rough. A bit chilly and windy for a day on the westbound route when leaving Vancouver, also a few showers as we got closer to the islands.