Serenade 11 Night Cruise review--Feb 5, 2018 Sailing

JordanF

We sailed the Serenade of the Seas for 11 days in February. The ship was sparkling clean, and the staff was attentive and friendly. The food was excellent.

We arrived at the port around 11 am and were on board 15 minutes later. We had a short wait at the security line and no wait anywhere else. After some lunch and a walk around the ship, we were into the cabin. While you could tell it was not brand new, it was clean and functional. Upon a request to the room attendant, robes soon arrived.

Breakfasts were split between room service as we sat on our balcony with our Kindles (always ordered the continental--so no fee) and made to order omelettes in the buffet. Lunches were all in the buffet for us, and 9 dinners were my time dining in the MDR. There were always plenty of choices, and the food was generally tasty. We ate in Chops one night and Giovanni's another. They were excellent, although I'm sure I would have been about as happy in the MDR.

We went to some of the shows, and they were generally pretty good. We also found that in general, the staff was friendly and helpful. One staffer suggested that on a smaller ship like the Serenade, you get a better staff to passenger ratio. I have no idea how accurate this is, but it felt accurate.

This was a nice long cruise (11 days), with 4 sea days and six island ports. We went to the beach twice (St. Kitts and Antigua), and just looked around town in Ponce, Grenada and Barbados before heading back to the ship for lunch and an afternoon around the pool. In St. Lucia we took the Soufrier by Spanish Galleon excursion and had a wonderful time. The mud bath was over-rated, but the rum punch was awesome. The rest of the tour, a boat ride, seeing the Pitons, swimming off the side of the ship... were all great.

BTW, on Day 4 (of 11) they started selling the 10-drink punch cards for $75. Since a typical drink is $12, this was a good deal for us (plus 18% added to all of these numbers).

At the end, were were near the last off the ship at around 9 am. The immigration lines seemed a bit long, but we used the ICE App and got to go in a short and quick line. We were in an Uber heading out of the port about 25 minutes after we left the Windjammer area.

I take other cruise lines, but have now been promoted to Emerald on RCCL, so I typically like this line. This cruise did nothing to change my mind. RCCL delivered a great cruise for a good price--an excellent value.

Sure. First, I love boat rides. Second, the other way to get to the end of the island is a long, windy, bus ride. So for me--it was an easy choice. We boarded around 8:15 am, and headed for the Pitons. This was a ride of over an hour, with narration. We docked and boarded a bus for the mud bath. You walk into some water, smear on mud, and then somewhat rinse it off. Back on the bus, we went for a nice buffet lunch nearby, and then back to the boat. We sailed away, and eventually pulled in near land where we could swim. You can jump off the boat (me) and climb down a latter (wife). They had noodles to make floating around easier. After about 45 minutes, back on board for the ride home, with some strong rum punch. I had 3, my wife had 2, we were both a bit drunk. We pulled in to the dock around 3 pm. This was right near the ship.

Sure. First, I love boat rides. Second, the other way to get to the end of the island is a long, windy, bus ride. So for me--it was an easy choice. We boarded around 8:15 am, and headed for the Pitons. This was a ride of over an hour, with narration. We docked and boarded a bus for the mud bath. You walk into some water, smear on mud, and then somewhat rinse it off. Back on the bus, we went for a nice buffet lunch nearby, and then back to the boat. We sailed away, and eventually pulled in near land where we could swim. You can jump off the boat (me) and climb down a latter (wife). They had noodles to make floating around easier. After about 45 minutes, back on board for the ride home, with some strong rum punch. I had 3, my wife had 2, we were both a bit drunk. We pulled in to the dock around 3 pm. This was right near the ship.

Sounds exciting!

We have been to St Lucia many times and have done the beaches, tours, Pitons, Sugar Beach, etc etc etc etc etc. So this looked like a fun boat trip and something a little different. Thanks for your feed back. I am looking forward to it!

Yes. They started selling 10 drink punch cards on day 4 of 11. They cost $75, plus the 18%service charge. This was a good deal as most drinks seemed to cost $12 plus the service charge. Also, you can use your punches for anyone.

Thanks, that's excellent that they started selling them so early.

Thanks, that's excellent that they started selling them so early.
Posted on feb 8 that the drink cards were $79 plus grats on this serenade sailing dont really remember if it was $75 or $79 now. On freedom now and 10 drink card sales started on 3rd day onboard $75 plus grats.

I have to agree with OP on their points as this was a great cruise. Met many nice people and did a few tours with them. Wish royal did not cancell the 10 day cruise after this 11 day one as we would have loved to stay onboard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jordon,

Did they provide a free shuttle to take you into town in Ponce? Or did you just hang out at the boardwalk near the pier?

Had to take a taxi to ponce $10 flat rate for up to 4 passengers. Boardwalk section is open but cant walk on water side as it is closed from hurrican damage.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

We were on the 5 day right after you...the first half of the previous 10 day that had been cancelled and split into a 5 day followed by a 5 day charter. We were told that 11 and 10 day B2Bs on the Serenade are popular and several people were upset that the 10 day was cancelled. Some still stuck around for the additional 5 days.

Our activities director was Allison, who I thought introduced herself as an Aussie, but didn't seem to have much of an accent and may have been American. The only time we saw the CD Carly B was at the start of shows. Allison seemed to do everything else that the CD often does, although we didn't go to the Quest. It almost seemed like Allison was proving herself to be a CD. Wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.